Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

Goosebox on large Jayco Eagle

Wondering on forum member's experience with this. Wife wants a 336fbok and she will eventually get what she wants. Don't get me wrong, I want one too.

I don't want a large fifth wheel mechanism in the back of my truck in the way. I also want the extra room in the bed of my truck. I think the weight savings would also be a plus.

My tentative plan is to install a B&W turnover ball so I can make it disappear when I'm not using it and have full use of my bed, and use the goosebox hooked to it to tow the 336fbok.

Hopefully someone using this setup can chime in. The way the goosebox looks in pics it kind of makes me wonder if anyone has had any trouble with it getting into the pickup bed rails if they're turning and drop into a hole or something like that.

My duramax has the 6 1/2 ft bed.

Thanks in advance.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

I believe it is generally considered a bad idea to use a gooseneck or goose box set up on a fifth wheel because of the force and stress exerted onto the frame. I have no first hand knowledge of this but I have read it on numerous occasions and on different forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #3

They say a goose neck connection adds extra stress on the frame and voids the warranty. I'm no expert and can't say it does or doesn't, I have a friend using this set up and no problems I'm aware of. I just installed the Andersen in mine but don't take delivery of my trailer For another week, I have three friends towing toy haulers with the Andersen aluminum for three years now and no problems. The Andersen I went with is aluminum and weighs 35lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #4

This is the product I'm talking about, approved by lippert.

Reese - Goose Box

2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
This is the product I'm talking about, approved by lippert.

Reese - Goose Box

Do what you want, however the whole geometry and stress points change on frame. "Lippert approvals" aside until there are issues the "approvals" seem to disappear and responsibility for damage. I retired from RV sales and have seen the issues. besides all that I wouldn't want to mess around with 2 safety chains, Safety chains are required on all Gooseneck and Ball hitches by DOT.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

I wouldn't go goose! I've heard many of horror story's the stress they cause. If they were safe, they'd be an option. You can get a 5th wheel hitch that has below bed mounts so the bed is free for hauling. I have this type on my Dodge.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

I use tha Andersen myself . I have a 321RLTS & works great.
As to the Goosebox , from posts on another forum you lose the area to rear of the gooseball for putting stuff so its a wash as to mounted hitch & storage space IMHO. I keep a lot of stuff between the hitch & tailgate
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
This is what the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch looks like when removed, it's heavy, but rides real well too. Also, ignore the large square cutout in my bed floor, it's from a precious flip ball goose neck.

Also ignore the PO's attempt at a DIY bed liner

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #9

????

Just curious...Why are there many gooseneck trailers in use and no reports of frame issues? I know several people that have livestock trailers and carry 5-8 thousand pounds of cows in them. With trailer included, they are probably pushing 10,000 pounds. What is the difference between these trailers and an RV as far as the gooseneck? Ford has a fight wheel/gooseneck package that can be added. Their hauling guide does not differential between the type of trailer being used for the gooseneck. I was thinking about this setup when we upgrade into a 5er in a few years.
firerescue712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue712 View Post
Just curious...Why are there many gooseneck trailers in use and no reports of frame issues? I know several people that have livestock trailers and carry 5-8 thousand pounds of cows in them. With trailer included, they are probably pushing 10,000 pounds. What is the difference between these trailers and an RV as far as the gooseneck? Ford has a fight wheel/gooseneck package that can be added. Their hauling guide does not differential between the type of trailer being used for the gooseneck. I was thinking about this setup when we upgrade into a 5er in a few years.
A stock trailer is designed differently than a fifth wheel camper.

The issue with goosenecks extensions on fifth wheels is the force exerted by the lever action of the gooseneck. This is particularly a problem for the long extensions attaching to a ball just above the box of a truck. Remove the lever action and you reduce the stress. I would use the Anderson Ultimate attached to the ball at the base. The benefit of the goose without the stress on the pin box.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Take a look at a goose trailer, they are made completely different in the goose area than a 5th wheel. They are designed for the load points of a goose ball. 5th wheel are designed with very different load points.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

I was told by my dealer if you use a Goosebox Jayco will honor warranty let's say if there are cracks in a wall or frame. All others they would not honor warranty.
Lukiecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
When we bought our 2011 had one of those old flip over style gooseneck floor plates & rails could not be installed in my truck we had so dealer put a gooseneck adapter on our rv. We put maybe close to 20k miles & no problems & only reason I switched was I had way too much trouble seeing ball with our 2012 Chevy as GM added maybe close to 3in to bed hieght over our 2003.
I don't really have any scientific evidence but here in East Tx probably as many gooseneck adapters on 5er's as regular hitches & don't hear of problems
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
Site Team

If I was contemplating this, I would go by the manufacturer of the trailers policy over the truck or hitch maker.

The fifth wheel hitch may or not be able to handle the arrangement. Only the manufacturer can say, if you are concerned about any future frame issues.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #15

Here is something I see constantly misrepresented on this forum. First and foremost a RV is not subject to any Federal Motor Carrier regulations if it's used for private use, not for commerce. Second if it were. Semi trailers including any trailer which is pulled by a ball (bumper pull or gooseneck) and 5th wheel are NOT required to have safety chains (CFR Title 49 393.70) there is a possibility that some state has some odd, non conforming law about safety chains but it's not common.
wvpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

I can only speak to my own experience and a different setup could certainly have different results. I also really liked the thought that I could have a 5th wheel trailer and not have to have a big 5th wheel receiver in the bed of my truck. So I purchased a 2017 open range light and a b&w turnover hitch. The open range light is designed to be able to use a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch which was great in concept. The problem is I could never get it to ride without a great deal of chucking. I did everything I could including replacing the factoring suspension with a morryde 3000. In the end there was nothing I could do to keep the coupler from having movement which resulted to a really bad towing experience. In the end I traded the unit in on a Northpoint 377 and added the b&w companion 5th wheel hitch. The setup has worked great so for. It's works with my turnover gooseneck hitch so when I am not using it for towing I simply remove it and have full access to my bed. The bonus is that the companion works with the turnover hitch so I also have the use of a gooseneck hitch for towing horse and stock trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:49 AM   #17

I have the goosebox setup on my 355mbqs. I've not had any issues with it. My tv came factory with the goose ball hitch, so that was part of the reason for going with the goosebox. I put about 45 lbs of air in the air bladder thats in the goosebox and it tows fine. I definately would not use an adapter.
Earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:02 PM   #18

How did you find out which one fits the Jayco? My numbers are all so different. I am trying to find out which pin box I have My Lippert sticker says item # 4313402 the long number above it is S000255880 Thanks for any help.
chevy2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2740 View Post
How did you find out which one fits the Jayco? My numbers are all so different. I am trying to find out which pin box I have My Lippert sticker says item # 4313402 the long number above it is S000255880 Thanks for any help.
Your best bet is to reach out to Jayco with your VIN number. They'll tell you exactly which pin box was used on your unit.

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #20

If you tow Any Type Bumper pull trailer in the state of Florida you are required to have safety chains. If you don’t it will cost you $178.50 if you are caught with out them..(ask me how I know). This is State Law..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote