Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Gooseneck Hitch?

Hi, new member here! We are in the process of purchasing a Jayco 5th wheel and I think this forum will be a huge help. I was talking to a friend who has a large 5th wheel today, and he told me he converted his so that he can use a gooseneck hitch, which he says is easier to remove from his truck bed so he can use it for work. Has anyone here done that, or have any thoughts?
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Need a little more info. What type hitch did he add? See what I have in my signature.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #3

I don't know, he just told me he went from a 5th wheel hitch to a gooseneck style hitch. I'll check and report back.
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

Maybe Andersen Ultimate?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

If he is talking about a Reese Goose Box Jayco approves it's use with their fifth wheels because Lippert approves it for use with the frames they make for Jayco. If it just a goose neck conversion that would be a problem as it could affect your warranty. Other hitches like the Anderson that hook up to your goose neck ball are okay. I have a Reese Goose Box on our Pinnacle and have been totally pleased with it.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #6

Andersen Ultimate isn't normally known as a "converted" gooseneck, but it could be.

The Goosebox by Reese (and others like Gen Y) is the only legit way to convert.

The other "converters" (even the Andersen converter) are an iffy proposition.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

Panic Stop Ouch

found this on another forum
Attached Thumbnails
AndersonFailure.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I always thought that particular Andersen hitch looked kind of weak.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #9

I have had an Anderson ultimate for over two years and love it. Only weighs 35 pounds and toes great. Installation and removal only takes about 5 minutes each. I would check into this.
Benandtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
That's not my truck/hitch but I had TWO Andersen's bend like that. Posted somewhere on here tho. Now I won't even ride along in a truck using one pulling a rv.Plus I was a big cheerleader for them but no more. B&W you just can't go wrong.
My understanding is that LCI will not honor any warranty issue if using an Andersen on thier frame but I don't know.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #11

I do a lot of lake shore camping and recently had to stop using my Demco Auto Slide because it turned into a nightmare hitching up on the lakeshore slope. Everybody elsie at the lake w/ 5th wheels are using a Gooseneck or the Reese Goosebox. I went with the Reese Goosebox & B&W Turn Ball. What a world of difference. Both in towing and hitching on slopes. I Tow a 19 320 RSTS, with an 18 Ram 2500 SB and turning radius is beyond what i will ever need, Very close to 90 degrees, i would say close to 85 and thats without the extender. I also hooked up a permanent air attachment from my RV on board compressor & used and Air Lift Bluetooth pressure controller which maintains selected c air pressure to the Goosebox airbag .. I love the system and best of all, Libbert does not void the frame warranty with the Reese Goosebox.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I always thought that particular Andersen hitch looked kind of weak.
There are quite a few incidents reported like this with the AUH. One person reported being rear ended and it destroyed the AUH. And quite a few panic stops ending like this as well. They might look impressive hanging on the garage wall, but no way i ever would risk myself, family and pets towing with one.. Aluminum is very light and 'will' crush like a beer can when put under high stress.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Snip:.... Aluminum is very light and 'will' crush like a beer can when put under high stress.
This is why you see all the steel structured airplanes flying around today, after 30plus years on the job....
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
This is why you see all the steel structured airplanes flying around today, after 30plus years on the job....

So i suppose you are referring to Aluminum air frames? And i will point out 'until you see one on a moderate impact'... BAM - Gone, destroyed in seconds.. (just as you will se with an AUH) Also, one major issue with the AUH, any minor nick on the hitch structure creates in instant point of failure & fracture point. i.e.. One guy reported he nicked the hitch tubing while stowing away a shovel in the bet of this truck.. Later he had a Catastrophic failure right at the point of the shovel nick.. Any engineer will tell you, aluminum can be strong but also can be easily compromised by minor structure dings.. This is why airplanes go under rigid inspections on a regular basis. I hope you all that are using an AUH get in the habit of performing such rigid inspections before use. If you see a ding or dent in your frame,, may as well toss it..
Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 AM   #15

My truck has the gooseneck hitch and so I considered the gooseneck options when we bought our FW in 2017. The gooseneck adapter was a non-option after confirming with Jayco that it would void my frame warranty. I considered the gooseneck box but I would still had to buy a hitch for the truck bed to raise the ball up and this became more expensive that just buying a FW hitch. I get the whole concept of how easy it is to remove a gooseneck setup for using the truck bed for other things. However, I went with the B&W Companion hitch and have never regretted it. Not getting into the brand wars here. I'm just referring to a FW hitch vs a gooseneck hitch. I personally find it very easy to hitch and unhitch to the kingpin because the motion is sliding the kingpin on the plate into the locking jaws. Whereas on the gooseneck, you still have to center over a ball. I hated doing that on a TT or any bumper pull. I felt that it would be the same with a gooseneck in the truck bed.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
My truck has the gooseneck hitch and so I considered the gooseneck options when we bought our FW in 2017.

The Reeves Goosebox Hitch will not void Lippert's frame warranty.. The Reeves Goosebox hitch replaces the trailer Pin Box and uses the truck bed Gooseneck hitch ball for hitching. The geometry and design of the Reeves Goosebox actually puts less stress on the trailer frame than the OEM hitch systems or other adapters such as the Anderson AUH. I believe the Reeves Goosebox is the only Gooseneck hitch systems approved by Libbert..
Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #17

Looking at getting one of these Reese Gooseboxes with my new FW. Is there someplace it's written about it not voiding the warranty? I keep seeing mixed opinions on if it will or will not void the warranty and would just like to put my own eyes on something official, perhaps on the Jayco Website?

Thanks
Pat
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Looking at getting one of these Reese Gooseboxes with my new FW. Is there someplace it's written about it not voiding the warranty? I keep seeing mixed opinions on if it will or will not void the warranty and would just like to put my own eyes on something official, perhaps on the Jayco Website?

Thanks
Pat
I'd ask Jayco directly, https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/

Then you'll have your answer in writing.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post

Thanks
Pat
Google "Gooseneck Adapters Endorsed by Lippert Componets" The Resse Goosebox will be the only system you will find.. Also, there is a letter posted on this site directly from Lippert stating the Reese Goosebox is the only Gooseneck adapter system Lippert endorses and will not void frame warranty. I use one, i retired a Demco Auto Slide. The Reese Goosbbox is an awesome hitch system.. I tow with a SB Ram and honestly, i don't have any turning radius issues. I got mine off Amazon and saved a few hundred from other sites,. I had a very good shipping experience as well. Backing into the hitch ball is a little tricky but if you have a cargo camera you master the hitching process in quick order.. The Reese Goosbox is the third system i've purchased and used. I wish it was the first, i would have saved a ton of money. You wont be disappointed.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #20

I did contact Jayco via the Webpage and I received this response that seems strange considering the document on the Lippert Site that says it's good:

--------------------------------
Patrick,

Thank you for your interest in Jayco FWs.

Unfortunately, as to your question on Reese goose box, it will void the warranty in that area. So any issue that may arise and is found to be caused by the goose neck. We would not cover under warranty.

Joseph R. Bertels
Regional Sales Manager
Phone: 574.825.5861 x1186
Email: Joe_Bertels@jayco.com
903 S. Main St l Middlebury, IN 46540
https://www.jayco.com/
----------------------------------------------------------
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote