Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post

After reading the wildly divergent reviews on Amazon, where some people claim the unit tried to kill them,
Every time I read that line, it makes me chuckle.... I can see the headlines:

"Family killed by rogue GPS that took over control of the vehicle".
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #42
Site Team

Due to a couple of less than ideal routes displayed by our ancient non-RV friendly Garmin Nuvi, The "shortest route" option no longer gets used...ever again.
We have a plan "B" of we really need the GPS. It's called a map in the DW's hands. If I listened to her the last time, we never would have driven over a flippin' mountain with switchbacks, and 15* hills...during a torrential downpour. I'll never live that one down!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #43

Pulled the trigger and bought the 770. Biggest reason is because I couldn't seem to find anything online after MUCH research for differences between 770 & 780 to warrant the $100 increase. 2nd reason is because I wanted to purchase from BestBuy for EASY return policy in case I don't like it. BestBuy didn't have the 780 yet.
The 780 is so new, there is just not much online yet, nor is there very many Amazon reviews. Even went to Garmin's official website, no big "enlightenment" there either. Only thing I can see that is different is 780 comes with a Traffic Cable. I'm not savvy on that and I figured traffic updates via my iphone will suffice. Not worth $100 bucks to me!
Anyone else find anything more?

P.S. I tried CoPilot, hated it! Tells me to "exit I35 frontage road" but NEVER gave me Exit# or Exit Name ie (Main street exit). What the heck is up with that? Sure it said "exit in .5 miles, but like anything else, BAM you were there and it was too late to exit. I want EXACT specifics for my directions. There wasn't "user friendly" buttons to select: resume route, pause route, drag/drop to select a different route, end route. But maybe I'm just too use to Google Maps and the option is available, I just didn't readily see it.
Plus, I like the idea of planning out my trip several nights in advance, get it all entered into gps, and pick up and GO the next morning.
BIGGEST negative to me (besides $$), is another monitor/gadget to add to my space shuttle! :-)
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Due to a couple of less than ideal routes displayed by our ancient non-RV friendly Garmin Nuvi, The "shortest route" option no longer gets used...ever again.
We have a plan "B" of we really need the GPS. It's called a map in the DW's hands. If I listened to her the last time, we never would have driven over a flippin' mountain with switchbacks, and 15* hills...during a torrential downpour. I'll never live that one down!
It astounds me how many people forget about paper maps!!

I ALWAYS pick up a fresh TX map when I go through the rest areas at the state border. It's free! So why not? I keep one in ALL my vehicles. I often pick up other state maps as well.

I also picked up a Rand McNally 50-state atlas that moves to the appropriate vehicle when it's potentially needed. It's a 2016, so I'll probably update soon. VERY useful tool.

I broke it out last weekend in fact. I wanted to show my son (4YO) where we were, and using a paper map IMO is an important skill that he probably won't learn in school, so we look at paper maps as often as possible.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #45

I love my GPS but like Camper Bob I always have an atlas and every state I visit I pick up a map at the first welcome center. I am old school and just feel a little lost if I don't have a map. The one thing a map offers that a screen can't do is show where you are in relation to the world around you. I really like my Garmin 770 it is a great navigator but it just tells me where I'm going and where I am but no clue as to what is off the screen and if the screen dies I always have plan B (my maps). Bob you are correct the younger generation can't read a map and would be hurting if their device failed. They would have a hard time getting home haha.

TnHiker
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS: GY Tire Upgrade, Sani-Con, 2 AC's, Tankless WH, Auto level, One Control, RV-CO Porta-Step
2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA (Sold 2018)
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #46

One thing DW's parents did, and my dad did with his step-grandchildren was provide each of the kids in the car maps with the route highlighted. The goal is to eliminate the "are we there yet" questions and teach the kids a useful life skill. It works VERY well, and I intend to do this with my own son.

Dad didn't do that with me because I was actually his "navigator", so I learned how to read a map VERY early because I HAD to. I also had to be good at orienteering because of the time I spent in "undeveloped" back country with a backpack. You had to have good maps and a good compass and know how to use them, or you could literally die. These skills have served me VERY well throughout my life.

I agree that a GPS is an invaluable tool when navigating our country, but IMO, you'd better know how to read a paper map. And you'd better actually DO it once in a while. Because I also believe that there's so much you DON'T see if all you use is GPS.

I can still be found poring over my atlas when we're planning a long trip. Call me old-fashioned or whatever, but I LOVE reading paper maps. IMO they can offer as much entertainment as a good novel, especially if you have a smart phone and can Google whatever you want to know more about!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Every time I read that line, it makes me chuckle.... I can see the headlines:

"Family killed by rogue GPS that took over control of the vehicle".

You'd be surprised how many news organizations say pilots died because they didn't file a flight plans!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStartô 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
It astounds me how many people forget about paper maps!!

I ALWAYS pick up a fresh TX map when I go through the rest areas at the state border. It's free! So why not? I keep one in ALL my vehicles. I often pick up other state maps as well.

I also picked up a Rand McNally 50-state atlas that moves to the appropriate vehicle when it's potentially needed. It's a 2016, so I'll probably update soon. VERY useful tool.

I broke it out last weekend in fact. I wanted to show my son (4YO) where we were, and using a paper map IMO is an important skill that he probably won't learn in school, so we look at paper maps as often as possible.

A little of topic but along these same lines, my 9 year old had homework that including finding definitions of words.

So I go grab a dictionary and plan to show him how to use it some (I figured he had one at school). He asked me if he could use moms laptop so he could just type in the words.

He has learned to use a computer but does not know how to use a dictionary. A different world now for sure.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #49

Your doing it right with the kids, I know many approaching their 30's have never used a paper map much less a compas. Seems there is a lot we did in the day that nobody does anymore. I watched a couple young girls try to level a pop up on difficult terrain until I couldn't help but to go out and assist them. Our campers today are relatively easy compared to the old days. Now we just press a button and walla.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 8' bed 4:10
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2017 Travel Lite 890RX (truck camper)
Sun N Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun N Fun View Post
Your doing it right with the kids, I know many approaching their 30's have never used a paper map much less a compas. Seems there is a lot we did in the day that nobody does anymore. I watched a couple young girls try to level a pop up on difficult terrain until I couldn't help but to go out and assist them. Our campers today are relatively easy compared to the old days. Now we just press a button and walla.
Yes, press a button and pray hard
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #51

Something to check if you have the the 760 770 or similar and use the Smart Link phone app; check your phone for how much storage it is consuming.

I was trying to figure out why my phone had so little internal storage left. Turns out, after using this app for several years, it was holding over 9 GB of data! Not sure what all it was holding, so I deleted all storage and cleared the cache. Figured it could start over on the next trip.

Murff
Reese Steadi-Flex WDH but going back to
Andersen
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #52

We purchased a Garmin RV770 and after two days of fighting over the phone with Garmin they are reimbursing me the dull price I paid for the unit. My issue is because the map software has a glitch for certain restricted roads in NY. In NY you are not allowed to drive a trailer on any parkways because of low bridges. On our last trip two weeks ago it took on every single parkway to get off of Long Island heading to PA. It could of been a bad day if I followed it, luckily I compared the routes the day before with my co pilot rv app and utilized the app with no issues. When I spoke with the Garmin reps they confirmed that this is a known issue and have numerous complaints from NY users and they are trying to fix the issue with the next software map update. Needless to say, the copilot app is our go to RV GPS!
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #53
Lost in the Woods

I just bought, upgraded and installed the RV770. I had been using my Garmin from my truck, but figured having all the RV related points of interest in the 770 was a plus.

But, I have NO illusion it will always send me the safe and accurate way. I ALWAYS pre-map and check my route the night before on a different program to see if there will be any obstacles.

And, I WON'T connect it to Bluetooth or my phone, there's enough privacy crap being siphoned off without adding Garmin to the mix.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiori1010 View Post
We purchased a Garmin RV770 and after two days of fighting over the phone with Garmin they are reimbursing me the dull price I paid for the unit. My issue is because the map software has a glitch for certain restricted roads in NY. In NY you are not allowed to drive a trailer on any parkways because of low bridges. On our last trip two weeks ago it took on every single parkway to get off of Long Island heading to PA. It could of been a bad day if I followed it, luckily I compared the routes the day before with my co pilot rv app and utilized the app with no issues. When I spoke with the Garmin reps they confirmed that this is a known issue and have numerous complaints from NY users and they are trying to fix the issue with the next software map update. Needless to say, the copilot app is our go to RV GPS!
Garmin still haven't addressed this issue. I just purchased a 770 and even after pulling in the information regarding my TT it still tries to route you onto parkways. Even whey you use the omitted route segment for one stretch of parkway (not easy task and it takes a long time for the unit to configure another route) it will try to take you onto another section of the parkway. It would be great if they had a feature that you could remove a road altogether (ex. Southern State Parkway) but it does. The unit is being returned.

If anyone has a suggestion for another unit that will avoid parkways when pulling a trailer I'd appreciate hearing about it.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #55

My gosh, I grew up in southern New York/ CT area and know those parkways well. I can't imagine such a blunder as routing anything larger than a minivan on those roads. They were built for dad's Studebaker, not an RV. I've stated before that I regret getting the Rand Mcnally RV GPS over the Garmin, but maybe not so much now.

That said, I just ran to the truck and plotted a trip on the Rand from Katonah, NY (where I grew up) to West Point NY- a trip that would by rife with Parkways and perfect for a mortal driving a Camry. Son of a... The rand Mcnally had me getting on the Bear Mt. Parkway with the Pinnacle in tow - A trip that would have destroyed the RV at the first bridge and gotten me arrested. (but not even sure that my fat DRW would fit on the on-ramp to the Pkwy.)

Then I logged on to RV Trip Wizard and plotted the same trip. It properly routed me across Westchester County on the appropriate state routes to the NYS Throughway and across what was the old Tapanzee bridge (now the Cuomo) and up to West Point.

We always start with RV Trip Wizard, then run it on the Rand and cross check with Rand's Motor Carrier (commercial) Atlas, then investigate any discrepancies. I've only once re-routed a trip scoped by RV trip wizard and that was not to avoid hazards but to suit a personal scenic preference.

Thanks for bringing up the parkways; this was a valuable lesson!
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
My gosh, I grew up in southern New York/ CT area and know those parkways well. I can't imagine such a blunder as routing anything larger than a minivan on those roads. They were built for dad's Studebaker, not an RV. I've stated before that I regret getting the Rand Mcnally RV GPS over the Garmin, but maybe not so much now.

That said, I just ran to the truck and plotted a trip on the Rand from Katonah, NY (where I grew up) to West Point NY- a trip that would by rife with Parkways and perfect for a mortal driving a Camry. Son of a... The rand Mcnally had me getting on the Bear Mt. Parkway with the Pinnacle in tow - A trip that would have destroyed the RV at the first bridge and gotten me arrested. (but not even sure that my fat DRW would fit on the on-ramp to the Pkwy.)

Then I logged on to RV Trip Wizard and plotted the same trip. It properly routed me across Westchester County on the appropriate state routes to the NYS Throughway and across what was the old Tapanzee bridge (now the Cuomo) and up to West Point.

We always start with RV Trip Wizard, then run it on the Rand and cross check with Rand's Motor Carrier (commercial) Atlas, then investigate any discrepancies. I've only once re-routed a trip scoped by RV trip wizard and that was not to avoid hazards but to suit a personal scenic preference.

Thanks for bringing up the parkways; this was a valuable lesson!
Angus
I used RV Trip Wizard for my first long trip. I really liked it. BUT, when I tried downloading to my Garmin 770RV, I got it to download but it didn't work right. It took the first stop which was a gas stop and repeated it like 20 times. Definitely a glitch! I know my garmin was up to date, I run an update search prior to downloading. I will have to figure that part out! Anyone have any downloading tips or experience same thing and can give me suggestions. Thanks
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #57

Garmin RV780

Just to update everyone who has or is considering the Garmin RV 780/785, my Rand McNally 7700 crashed on our current trip and had to be replaced. After seeing the great reviews on these units we had RV780 shipped to us from Amazon. Worked great out of the box no issues routes same as before. We were at Canal CG COE Lake Barkley, Grand Rivers, KY and wanted to go to our next stop 67 miles away Bumpus Mills CG COE, TN 64.5 miles no problem, 2.5 miles on a one lane gravel road, 2 way traffic with steep grades and turns pulling our almost new Eagle 27.5 RLTS 5th wheel. White knuckles at the finish line. Come to find out that a 2 lane paved road leads right to the camp ground with only a one and half mile difference. I had also plugged into settings no gravel roads, u turns ect. The Rand would always issue a warning about the gravel road along with other obstacle in our path. So as others have mentioned please review next days trip with paper maps and/or atlas to stay out of trouble.
llarson1105#msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #58

The Garmin RV 785 7 inch screen comes with a built in Dash Cam. My camera takes excellent videos that are saved on a SD card and can be downloaded to a computer. It also come with a traffic receiver that displays traffic information without the use of a cell phone. Other Garmins that give traffic information require the use of data from your cell phone. The magnetic mount makes it easy to remove from the suction cup mount when you don't want to leave it in plain view or to move to a second vehicle.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/66...28-00#overview

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
I used RV Trip Wizard for my first long trip. I really liked it. BUT, when I tried downloading to my Garmin 770RV, I got it to download but it didn't work right. It took the first stop which was a gas stop and repeated it like 20 times. Definitely a glitch! I know my garmin was up to date, I run an update search prior to downloading. I will have to figure that part out! Anyone have any downloading tips or experience same thing and can give me suggestions. Thanks
Yes, I have been looking into this. I told the Tech support people at RV Trip Wizard that I wanted to learn to download routes created there to my Rand GPS RV. They warned me that if I did so, the Rand Mcnally GPS (or the Garmin, if that was the case) would change the downloaded route according to it's own algorithm. Thus I would in any event lose the value of the RVTW route. They instructed me to download their app for smart phone and tablets (called "RV Life") and then use that app to log in to RVTW to access the list of trips I have created. You can then choose to tell it which mapping tool (either Google Maps or Apple, in my case) and then it would display the RVTW route on that device.

So I did this and it appears to work well. The RV Life app takes some figuring out because it is organized differently and looks different from the Desktop app (it has to beacuse of the smaller size of the device). This essentially turns your smart phone of tablet into an RV-friendly GPS.

I have loaded the app on my iPhone and larger iPad and in each case was able to bring up all my future trips created on my laptop and direct them to overlay to Google Maps. Sweet.

IMPORTANT LESSON: Last weekend, I used RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) to chart our route from Vogt RV in Ft. Worth to the KOA in Weatherford to the west. It looked at first as if the route took me under a low bridge that was 1" lower than our height posted in the program. After contacting RVTW support early Sunday morning, they got back to me within the hour. Short version of the outcome: They had correctly routed me off the Rt 121 westbound to a service road, and then right back on 121 right after the bridge. I had not seen it on the bird's eye map because it was a subtle move to the right by a few yards, but it was clearly stated in the turn-by-turn directions. TAKEAWAY: Even if the route seems obvious, look at the turn-by-turn instructions, especially in a dense urban environment. Not doing so could cost you your air conditioners or worse.

RVTW was even "smart" enough to route me safely under the same bridge in the opposite direction Eastbound, because it recognized that the bridge clearance was several inches higher in the other direction. This comported to information listed in the RandMcNally Motor Carrier's Atlas.

We have routes charted in RVTW from here in N. TX to AZ in January and whoever is riding shotgun on a given day will run them on the iPad.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #60

an app called "hammer" you can put in all your info, and its free..
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote