Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Gray tank doesn't drain

We own a 2010 Jayco Eagle 351 RLSA. The rig has two gray tanks - one for the kitchen and one for the bath. The bath tank no longer drains completely - we need to "dump" this tank every other day, which is not normal. I'm thinking of some kind of clog, but since it's from the shower / bathroom sink, that doesn't make any sense. Any suggestions?
Jim and Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

You could try running a snake up to the tank from the outside, or spray a strong stream of water from the outside into the tank. To check if the tank is emptying all the way you can time how long it takes to fill a 5 gal. bucket with a hose. Empty the tank and then fill the tank with the same hose and see how long it takes to fill. Multiply the time X 5 and you will know about how many gallons of water it took to fill the tank, so you will know if it is truly emptying.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #3

When you say you need to dump the tank every other day is this by the gage saying it is full or water backing up in shower drain? Only ask this because the problem could be with the gage not working correctly. If water is backing up in the shower then you know that the tank is completely full. Also are using more water in the shower-sink then normal. Just thinking.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #4

Don, it's caused by the water backing up into the shower. We've been full timing for several years now, and this is the first time this has started happening. And, I learned a long time ago to not trust the sensors. They stopped working within a couple of months.
Jim and Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #5

On my Pinnacle I have to have the trailer nearly level for the holding tanks to empty completely. This is annoying as have you ever been to a dump station that was perfectly level?? And if the grade is going slightly down hill...forget it! And our bath gray tank must have a straw for the drain pipe as it seems to take forever for that gray tank to empty. (Whew! Thanks for letting me hijack your post!)

That said, I don't know what could be the exact cause of your gray tank dilemma. My first guess is the sensors are misreading the level in the tank as ours aren't reliable, especially the black tank's. Repeated flushes using the black tank's rinser or using my FloJet's backwash several times is the cure for our black and gray tank sensors. Hope you find the cause and have an easy resolution.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

I had a small (about 1" square) piece of plywood come out of our gray tank recently. I caught it because I use a Sewer Solution and it wouldn't go through the drain hose and I saw it in the clear plastic fitting. It didn't seem to slow the flow down but I suppose it would be possible that a larger piece than that could be in there. I guess I would go with the previous suggestion and "gently" run a snake up through the discharge pipe.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

After I got my 2012 Eagle home from the dealership, I was going over some things and happened to check the foot flush on the toilet and thought I saw something down in the tank. Got a flashlight and saw 2 pieces of counter top trim in the black tank. Both were about 12 inches long. Stuck a piece of double sided tape on a stick and got them out. Guess somebody had a bad day.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #8

I was struggling with this issue this week as well. Our 1998 Designer had been a full-timer and not well taken care of by the previous owners, and then it apparently sat for a couple of years before we found her. We're now full-timing. I took 2 gallons of apple cider vinegar and poured it down the shower, followed by about 5 gallons of water. I let that sit all day long. Tonight, I emptied the gray tank and it moved pretty quickly. So, being the curious soul I am and with my hubby on the semi...I poured another 34 gallons of water into that tank. It took it less than 4 minutes to empty. Guess the old-fashioned things work too.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SWB Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0L
1998 Jayco Designer 2930RKS
Copperlisa is offline   Reply With Quote