Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Grey waste tanks won't equalize

2020 32rlts pinnacle 5er. Added a twist on blade valve thinking I could equalize both grey tanks. Grey#2 which is only kitchen sink as far as I can tell is usually empty when Grey #1 is full. I close twist on gate valve, open both grey valves, and... Nothing.
Looking at the drain lines (photo) I'm guessing the #2 kitchen tank is mounted higher than the #1 tank and won't equalize? Maybe if I'm a bit more patient, the Grey#1 will fill up enough to start backing up the pipes and it will start to fill #2?

Anyone have similar results?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220121_132137329_HDR.jpg  
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #2

Update- After doing some online searching it appears that my #2 tank is mounted higher than #1 grey preventing them from equalizing from # 1 to #2. I will let #1 fill till it backs up into shower and try again, I'm thinking then it should have enough head to start to drain into tank #2. Still wondering, anyone have the same issue?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:23 AM   #3

I'm trying to understand what you're wanting to do. I think what your saying is you want to be able to use both tanks by having the front tank drain to the back, or kitchen tank, when it gets full. Mine is plumbed like yours with the number 1 being the bathroom and washer and number 2 is the kitchen. I'm not sure what sizes these tanks are but I know the bathroom/washer tank fills up pretty quick on wash days. I usually just leave both tanks open and let them drain as we use them. If it is getting close to black tank flush time I will close them and let some water build up to flush out the hose.

I don't think I'm helping much but it did take me a while to figure out how the plumbing worked and then I adapted to it. If you come up with something better I'm interested.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #4

A little side trip on this topic; we also have 2 grey tanks and I typically leave the valves open so I don’t have to monitor the levels. I use the “Sewer Solution” instead of a slinky and it has a built in flush so I don’t have to reserve some grey water to flush it out. If you’re not familiar with SS, it’s like a macerator with no moving parts, a water jet instead of a mechanical pump. I’ve used the same one since 2012.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:18 AM   #5

When at a full hookup site obviously this isn't an issue, but we occasionally dry camp or are at a site with no sewer hookup and I'd like to be able to use all of both grey tanks capacity and not have to hitch up and head to a dump station. A few loads of laundry and showers, and #1 grey is full, while #2 kitchen still is indicating empty. My previous 5er would equalize tanks easily.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #6

Update.

I discovered when both # 1&2 grey dump valves are open with a closed twist on gate valve on outlet and #1 grey is totally full, grey #2 (kitchen sink only) will take on excess. #1 grey is located in the front drop section of frame while grey #2 is located at least 12" higher in the rear frame directly under the kitchen sink. So, I can use both grey tanks capacity, but they will not "equalize" levels as I expected.