Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #1

Ground Control 3.0 Six Point Leveling

During PDI, dealer told me to lower the back four legs two holes before hitting autolevel. Also, the landing gear, told me to lower it no more than 4-6 holes before dropping landing gear, prior to leveling. Does anyone else do this? Or do you just put lego blocks/wood blocks under legs before leveling to prevent out of stroke errors?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

There no adjusting the mid and rear jacks before leveling the rig, they’re fixed in place. I have learned from LCI and the dealer we bought our Pinnacle from that lowering the fronts no more than 8 holes helps leveling. After disconnecting and pulling the truck away, the AUTOLEVEL process begins by lowering the front to the lowest point then raising to find level. By reducing the amount you extend the fronts, your more likely to be able to take advantage of the rehitch option as it will need to raise the rig to return to the hitch height. For safety reasons, the system won’t automatically lower the rig to find hitch height as it doesn’t want to crush anything.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
There no adjusting the mid and rear jacks before leveling the rig, they’re fixed in place. I have learned from LCI and the dealer we bought our Pinnacle from that lowering the fronts no more than 8 holes helps leveling. After disconnecting and pulling the truck away, the AUTOLEVEL process begins by lowering the front to the lowest point then raising to find level. By reducing the amount you extend the fronts, your more likely to be able to take advantage of the rehitch option as it will need to raise the rig to return to the hitch height. For safety reasons, the system won’t automatically lower the rig to find hitch height as it doesn’t want to crush anything.
My back four are not fixed in place. They are adjustable. I understand what you're saying. So do not drop the back four at all prior to leveling?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #4

I generally drop the center and rear two holes before leveling depending on the location. My dealer also made that same recommendation during PDI last year. I put pads down on all six to reduce any chance of the legs sinking or marking up the ground.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
Most owners don't realize that the rear four can be adjusted by removing the pin. I didn't know that until while at a campground a Pinnacle owner came up to me and told me that they adjust the rear four before leveling.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Most owners don't realize that the rear four can be adjusted by removing the pin. I didn't know that until while at a campground a Pinnacle owner came up to me and told me that they adjust the rear four before leveling.
Until today, I was one of the majority. I had to replace a pad on our previous trailer and it was just that, a pad with nothing that allow multiple positions. So does the pad have a tube that slides inside the jack? Won’t be moving for a few months but will certainly be using this new info to eliminate a few blocks when we do.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

I use LEGO blocks on the rear jacks.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

Units with black pads aren't adjustable. Those with the silver pads are. I always adjust mine as low as possible. This includes the front unless I'm front high. I don't worry about returning to hitch height because I run the levelers from my phone in the truck cab. If I carried blocks, I'd use them before adjusting the pads.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #9

Ok, so it sounds like the best thing to do is to drop the back four down two holes prior to auto-leveling. First time out this weekend, gonna give it a shot.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Al this topic and statement was brought up in a thread a few months ago so I went out and checked mine. If I release the pin in my rear 4 the foot drops right out of the sleeve. There is no device to set it at any other level. There are 2 spring loaded push buttons or pins on the leg of the foot and it simply drops to the ground after the 4 or 6” of leg above the spring loaded pins leave the upper sleeve. There are no holes to set it at another level. Could you please show a picture of yours so I can se the difference?
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
During PDI, dealer told me to lower the back four legs two holes before hitting autolevel. Also, the landing gear, told me to lower it no more than 4-6 holes before dropping landing gear, prior to leveling. Does anyone else do this? Or do you just put lego blocks/wood blocks under legs before leveling to prevent out of stroke errors?
Do yourself a favour and view the video on the Lippert site for this specific system. I have viewed it a number of times to make sure I was doing it correctly. If I get the red light it’s usually because it exceeded the 10” of travel on one of the rear 4.
It instructs you to manually drop the front stabilizers setting the pin so they are within 5” of the ground and have the pinbox above level before activating the automatic level system . There is nothing said about pre lowering the rear stabilizers or adjusting them.
I use the Lynx levellers under the wheels to level from side to side and then under the rear 4 stabilizers to reduce the travel. I stopped using pads under the front stabilizers, making sure that I manually set the pin so they are close to 5” above the ground before using power to lower them to the ground . Works for me.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
Al this topic and statement was brought up in a thread a few months ago so I went out and checked mine. If I release the pin in my rear 4 the foot drops right out of the sleeve. There is no device to set it at any other level. There are 2 spring loaded push buttons or pins on the leg of the foot and it simply drops to the ground after the 4 or 6” of leg above the spring loaded pins leave the upper sleeve. There are no holes to set it at another level. Could you please show a picture of yours so I can se the difference?
I would be happy to post some pictures but we brought our North Point that we are trading in to the dealer yesterday so don't have it to take pics. Will takes pics of the Pinnacle when it arrives.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #13

Al, thanks for your response , however I went out again this morning when the rain let up for a while and rechecked the rear 4 stabilizers. I did indeed see the adjustment holes. The leg of the foot is 8 1/4" long, there are 4 adjustment hole positions and the last hole is 3" from the top of the leg. There is a V groove slot type indentation on both sides, the length of the leg so it can't rotate. The leg has a lot of blue grease up the length.
When I checked them a couple of months ago it was done in haste, it was after dusk, late winter and I'm guessing the grease obscured the holes. I mustn't have used my good eye and hit my head in the process! So my apologies for doubting or leading anyone astray.

rkymntsno, I guess they don't mention that in the LCI video because of the different models they are used on. Sorry for the confusion.

On the positive side it will make for easier leveling and will use less Lynx levelers.
Thanks for listening.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

Here's a picture of mine this weekend. I carry 7 of the blue blocks because we're required to have pads under the levelers. I use 4 for the back levelers and then 2 bigger ones for the front. I've learned that the camper should be less than 1.5 degrees out of level side to side for it to work best. The 7th pad fits between the wheels so I can place it and back over it. I use it to lift the low side if needed. Just 1 under one of the triple axles gets me about 1 degree. I use the phone app to see the level while I'm placing the camper, so I know the best place in spot. I also know before getting out if I need the pad and if I'm nose up or down. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_182020.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	48872

Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #15

I appreciate everyone's input. Today, made our maiden voyage. Went to level up and I was gun shy, so I put two lego blocks under each leg, lol. It leveled out with no problem. I think dropping the back four two holes could take the place of any blocks if it's pretty level to start with. I'm a newbie 5'ver so I'm listening to everyone. Thanks. again. Oh, getting dish hooked up was a whole different story. After an hour on the phone with Dish, I decided to switch the cable from satellite to Aux. Guess what? It worked. Really Jayco? Open Range wired the cable and satellite backwards. That was a nightmare. But at least this one works on Aux. Don't know why, don't care.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. Today, made our maiden voyage. Went to level up and I was gun shy, so I put two lego blocks under each leg, lol. It leveled out with no problem. I think dropping the back four two holes could take the place of any blocks if it's pretty level to start with. I'm a newbie 5'ver so I'm listening to everyone. Thanks. again. Oh, getting dish hooked up was a whole different story. After an hour on the phone with Dish, I decided to switch the cable from satellite to Aux. Guess what? It worked. Really Jayco? Open Range wired the cable and satellite backwards. That was a nightmare. But at least this one works on Aux. Don't know why, don't care.

Wow, this is good to know because we are going out and going to use our dish tv for the first time out so if it doesn't work from satellite I will try Aux.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Wow, this is good to know because we are going out and going to use our dish tv for the first time out so if it doesn't work from satellite I will try Aux.
If you call tech support with connection issues, they always want you to run a cable directly from the satellite to the receiver so they can say it's the RV's wiring and nothing else they can do for you until you get that check out. Our Open Range TT which we loved for two years, had the cable and satellite connections backwards. About the time we get everything the way we wanted, we order this new 5'er, lol. Very happy so far. Also, Dish raised their pay as you go prices this past January, $37.99 for 30 days. Happy Trails!
Old 04-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #18

Here’s my ground control 3.0
I have no adjustment. Pull the pin, and the foot falls off.
When did this adjustment thing happen??
Beach Retreat, how can you have 3.0 on a 2015, when 3.0 didn’t debut until 2016?
Attached Thumbnails
9F59B207-7F47-475D-83BD-21B94776CD99.jpg  
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Here’s my ground control 3.0

I have no adjustment. Pull the pin, and the foot falls off.

When did this adjustment thing happen??

Beach Retreat, how can you have 3.0 on a 2015, when 3.0 didn’t debut until 2016?
You're the first to catch that! I've now got a '17 Seismic 4114. I can't update my sig on Tapa talk and I never log in using the computer to update it.

My '15 had the 2.0, and there are a couple of features it had that I liked that the 3.0 doesn't. As best I can tell, the silver pads became available in 2017. The give up is that there's not much strength in the pad itself. The black pads have stiffeners. My pads are bent up.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #20

I have the 2016 Pinnacle with the LCI 3.0 leveling system. My foot pads are all black and only the front landing gear can be manually lowered before running the pads to the ground. I have had only one issue with the auto level and that was on a site that sloped from front to rear. After struggling with out of stroke errors or auto level errors, I finally got it level per a bullet level I carry with me. The middle Jack’s would not extend because I wasn’t level within tolerance levels of the system. The 2016 version of this system does not allow the middle jacks to be operated manually independent of the rear jacks. I later had a conversation with an LCI tech and learned I had probably lowered my landing pads too close to the ground before running them to the ground. This did not allow the front gear enough available travel to level up. The other trick he told me was to always start the auto level with the nose high (red light to the rear). I have done this ever since and have never had another issue (knock on wood).
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote