Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

Ground Control III Leveling System Landing Gear Problem

We have had binding issues, squealing noises from our landing gear on our Ground Control III Leveling system since we put in our new generator.

Over the last few weeks, we have also got RF Jack Errors.

I was wondering if anyone who may have an Onan 5500 install has had issues with the landing gear.

We are in the middle of a trip right now and would love to find a resolution without having to take it to a dealer. We are full timers.

Right now we are travelling and each time we try to level, it is an adventure. Currently, only the Landing Gear are deployed and it has the RF Jack error.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #2

I use blocks liberally. I only give my legs a few inches of travel to do the leveling. Maybe some lithium spray on the legs?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

I had the generator installed from the factory, only error code I had was the day I brought it home and it was my own fault for starting the auto level with the nose of the fiver down. I also always use blocks after that one time error code.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie camper View Post
I use blocks liberally. I only give my legs a few inches of travel to do the leveling. Maybe some lithium spray on the legs?
I lube the legs very frequently. I used the same lube that I use on my slides. The only problem with lithium is that it may attract dirt.

I have tried lots of different things with the blocks. I always use blocks too. Just not always sure how many blocks to put under which jack depending on how level the site is. Sometimes I think I use too many blocks. That can get you into trouble too.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
I had the generator installed from the factory, only error code I had was the day I brought it home and it was my own fault for starting the auto level with the nose of the fiver down. I also always use blocks after that one time error code.
I did some research and read that the Lippert requires 12.5 volts. Also, the amount of amps that is required increases with the weight that needs to be lifted. I added the weight of a generator and 4 new Trojan 6 volt batteries. I don't think the Trojan 6 volt batteries can always produce 12.5 volts when the demands for amps increases. At least, that is what I read.

I have a residential fridge. As we travel, it draws the battery down. I have a battery monitor and noticed that today. So I turned on the generator while we were traveling today to get the battery to 100% charged before leveling.

I also turned off the inverter so it would not draw on the batteries when I was leveling.

This produced a much better experience! The auto level almost made through the whole cycle. After it brought down the middle stabilizers, I got an our range error but the coach was still level.

This will require more testing but my theory is that in order for my Trojans to meet the high amp requirements of the addition weight, they must be at 12.5 volts or higher.

Still trying to figure out the "out of range" issues.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post
I did some research and read that the Lippert requires 12.5 volts. Also, the amount of amps that is required increases with the weight that needs to be lifted. I added the weight of a generator and 4 new Trojan 6 volt batteries. I don't think the Trojan 6 volt batteries can always produce 12.5 volts when the demands for amps increases. At least, that is what I read.

I have a residential fridge. As we travel, it draws the battery down. I have a battery monitor and noticed that today. So I turned on the generator while we were traveling today to get the battery to 100% charged before leveling.

I also turned off the inverter so it would not draw on the batteries when I was leveling.

This produced a much better experience! The auto level almost made through the whole cycle. After it brought down the middle stabilizers, I got an our range error but the coach was still level.

This will require more testing but my theory is that in order for my Trojans to meet the high amp requirements of the addition weight, they must be at 12.5 volts or higher.

When I first got mine I had out of stroke error two times. I started using 3" thick 10x10 blocks under ea jack and have not had any error codes since
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

The auto level requires some juice for sure. I don’t have a gen and always have the trailer plugged into shore power before leveling. May have found the trick.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post

I also have four Trojans installed beside the generator, but I do not have the resi fridge. Hope you get it figured out.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie camper View Post
The auto level requires some juice for sure. I don’t have a gen and always have the trailer plugged into shore power before leveling. May have found the trick.
The leveling jacks only take power from the batteries. However, the residential fridge can also draw big amps from the batteries. So by plugging in, the residential fridge is now on shore power and will not draw from the battery at the same time the leveling jacks need power.

I think this was also a part of my issues. My last successful test I was connected to shore power. When I boon dock, I will either run my genny while I autolevel or turn off my inverter.

I think when the fridge pulls amps and the leveling jacks pulls amps on a battery at the same time binding can happen at the jacks. Especially if the battery is not at 100% and falls to less than 12.5 votls.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #10

Thanks Ringneks. I think I may have some pieces figured out. At least I am hopeful.

1. Take the residential fridge out of the equation by hooking up to shore power, running my genny or simply turning off my inverter.
2. Top up my batteries when possible. I have a blue tooth battery monitor so I can see what the battery levels are.

That worked yesterday. Moving on today, so we will see.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
When I first got mine I had out of stroke error two times. I started using 3" thick 10x10 blocks under ea jack and have not had any error codes since
Thanks Cannon. I will give that a shot to see if I can get rid of the out of stroke error. Do you do any leveling prior to use the leveling jacks?

If things are really out of level, I will put leveling blocks under the tires on the low side. Sometimes there is also leveling problems front to back. How do you determine how many holes to expose on the landing jacks? I have been exposing at least 5 holes then letting auto level do it's thing.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #12

Ground Control III leveling Landing Gear Problem -HELP

This morning while trying to put the 5th on the truck, the left front landing jack would only go up half way and wouldn't move any more. The right front landing jack continued to move.

I tried to manually move the jack using the socket and it would not move one way or the other.

Does anyone have any idea how I might get the 5th on the truck?

Or is anyone from around Pine-Level NC and know of a good mobile tech?

We are boon docking at a winery with no hookups. We do have our generator.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #13

I have the generator, residential fridge, and 6 batteries... we had the errors and noise, it was the worm gear failing in the jack assembly, had it replace and all is good. The error is usually an over amp error.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Had a front jack quit, used a bottle jack and a bunch of blocks under the frame of camper. That was enough to hook up to truck!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Had a front jack quit, used a bottle jack and a bunch of blocks under the frame of camper. That was enough to hook up to truck!
That is exactly what we are doing. We are continuing our trip using that method. Dealer has ordered jacks. ETA on the jacks is 3-4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagensicker View Post
I have the generator, residential fridge, and 6 batteries... we had the errors and noise, it was the worm gear failing in the jack assembly, had it replace and all is good. The error is usually an over amp error.
That is the same error we were getting and noises too. How long did it take you get your new jacks into the dealer. The ETA on the jacks is incredible (3-4 weeks)

Tags
pinnacle