Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
SWM

Gut Check - Pinnacle 36KPTS vs 32RLTS or NP 315RLTS

Hi!
New members here - looking for help selecting our first RV for semi Full-time living. We would appreciate other user's observations and recommendations regarding these models. We are still trying to figure out what issues to be concerned about.

I apologize in advance for the long thread with multiple questions. I wasn't sure if separate threads would be better. But at least it's "out there".

Our background: We started long-term volunteering at national wildlife refuges and other places this past year. We recently borrowed a North Point 377RLBH from family for a month of volunteering and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were fine handling this 42-43' rig (for the things we did) and were able to work through freezing weather and a few minor mechanical issues. So now we are hooked.

We are searching for the "perfect" RV and truck that are not "too big" but still livable for 3-6 months at a stretch. We anticipate some dry camping between locations. We were focused on the two smaller models, but she likes the 36KPTS best, However, this comes at a higher price and bigger haul over the other two options.

We hope for some feedback and suggestions from experienced owners of these rigs to help us make the decision.

1. Does the size of the 36KPTS (41') limit access to national parks or other campgrounds as compared to the 36' and 38' options above?

2. What swayed your decision between these models?

3. Does the very long kitchen slide in the 36KPTS cause any additional concerns or handling issues over slides in general?

4. Has Jayco or Lippert modified any of these models for 2020? I read about a few issues, but especially concerned about the cracking problem noted in a recent thread? We are looking forward to time in it this summer, but have the option to wait until this fall to purchase.

5. Any "must-have" options that should be done by the dealer right away for full-time living? I don't want to start off voiding any warranties. We anticipate extra batteries and perhaps a generator to hold the fridge cold while "dry-camping" for multiday trips between locations.

6. Do either of the smaller models allow for smaller tow vehicle than a 1-ton DRW? My math suggest we would carry about 1800-2000 lbs cargo, with on-board generator, plus some fresh water for above dry-camping up to near the GVWR. My math also suggests that most of that weight will be towards the front putting an additional 1000 pounds or more on the king pin over the dry hitch weights (allowing for some added weight of factory options). Any real kingpin load numbers you can share for these RV?

7. Any other issues to consider regarding model selection? "We don't know what we don't know to ask about"!

Sorry again for the long list of questions

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Steve
SWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #2

I would go with the pinnacle for the added width, from what I’ve read owners really love it and say it does make a difference especially if your full timing.
I would get the second ac and the generator as you stated, I have four six volt batteries.
If you don’t have the tow vehicle yet in late summer gm for sure and I think ford are coming out with a ten speed tranny, gm is also lowering the bed height finally for greater clearance between the rv and bed rails, also gm’s 3500 srw diesel will be able to tow 21,500 lbs which is 4K more than their current trucks.
Hope that helps a little.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Welcome to JOF! Wow you have a list their but I'm sure the members will chime in to help.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
SWM

Hi Ringnek and Big1! Thanks for the feedback.

Ringnek: you mention clearance over the truck bed rails. When comparing the RVs Saturday we noted that clearance was higher when walking under the Pinnacle as compared to the NPs. We had also looked at GMC 3500s too. How did you address that issue so they both run level? Anything I need to check before purchasing? Thanks!

Steve
Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

We have a NP 315RLTS and love it but of course the Pinnacles are nicer. If you can afford it I'd definitely go that route. As for a tow vehicle, you're in DRW territory regardless. While we do fine with our F350 SRW diesel, we're technically overweight. So again, if you can afford it, a DRW is the way to go.

My $.02

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
SWM

Thank you Dave!

My estimated loads pointed to DRW for all of the options, but wanted to be sure from others experience.

If you don’t mind, can you share some info on your measured weights and how your load is distributed?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

I've attached my weight sheet. Our truck has a 3301 payload and a 11500 GVWR. We're OK on our axle weights (rated st 5990 front and 7230 rear) but over on GVWR. Feel free to do the math.

Not sure what you mean by your distribution question. We only have storage in the front on the 315 and it's fairly full.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
20181207_161127.jpg  
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWM View Post
Thank you Dave!

My estimated loads pointed to DRW for all of the options, but wanted to be sure from others experience.

If you don’t mind, can you share some info on your measured weights and how your load is distributed?

Thanks!
Definitely a DRW!! Originally bought a RAM 3500 SWR and 5 months later bought a DRW. Didn't particularly care for the "tail wagging the dog"
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #9

I have also been shopping for a Pinnacle and the new 32RLTS as well as the 36KPTS were on our short lists.

For us currently, the 32RLTS was in a slight lead only because it is a bit shorter, but more importantly, based on the published GVW of both, the 32RLTS is within the current towing capacity numbers of my 2018 GMC 3500HD SRW CC Duramax where the 36KPTS is not and would require me currently to go to a dually setup.

But then (as posted above), I read about how the 2020 GM's are due out in a couple months are are expected to have a pretty substantial towing capacity increase over the 2019 models as well as other enhanced towing features they didn't have before which should allow the SRW's to tow even the largest Pinnacle/NP with room to spare. And since we get the GM employee discount, GM's are our obvious first choice.

Then there is the fact that beginning this year, Jayco changed their model year changeovers to later in the year. Even though units coming out now are titled as 2020's, they are basically second half 2019's. If there are any significant changes to the 2020's interiors or options availability, that won't occur yet for a couple months either.

So given all this, and because I am only in the first year of a 3 year lease on my current truck, we have decided to hold off a few more months to see how things shake out with not only the 2020 GM's but with the mid year updates to the Pinnacle lineup as well.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
SWM

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Dave: those are the kinds of numbers I was calculating which left me nervous. Thank you!

I guess it will be the 36KPTS and a DWR.
Next decision: 2019 or wait for 2020 models
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:

Dave: those are the kinds of numbers I was calculating which left me nervous. Thank you!

Towing specs are much better for the 2020 models but if you go DWR it would not matter as you are fine with the 2019 specs.

One thing to consider is the body style, the 2020 3500s look a lot different. Check out the pics to make sure you like the 2020 models.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #12
SWM

Appreciate the reminder. I seem to be neutral on the body changes. It's the potential shake out issues during the 1st year of an upgrade's life that have me scratchin' my head.
The camera options seem like they will help in certain towing situations and more towing capacity means the rig is less likely to push a structural limit.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

Thumbs up Jayco 36KPTS

Quote:
Hi!
New members here - looking for help selecting our first RV for semi Full-time living. We would appreciate other user's observations and recommendations regarding these models. We are still trying to figure out what issues to be concerned about.

I apologize in advance for the long thread with multiple questions. I wasn't sure if separate threads would be better. But at least it's "out there".

Our background: We started long-term volunteering at national wildlife refuges and other places this past year. We recently borrowed a North Point 377RLBH from family for a month of volunteering and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were fine handling this 42-43' rig (for the things we did) and were able to work through freezing weather and a few minor mechanical issues. So now we are hooked.

We are searching for the "perfect" RV and truck that are not "too big" but still livable for 3-6 months at a stretch. We anticipate some dry camping between locations. We were focused on the two smaller models, but she likes the 36KPTS best, However, this comes at a higher price and bigger haul over the other two options.

We hope for some feedback and suggestions from experienced owners of these rigs to help us make the decision.

1. Does the size of the 36KPTS (41') limit access to national parks or other campgrounds as compared to the 36' and 38' options above?

2. What swayed your decision between these models?

3. Does the very long kitchen slide in the 36KPTS cause any additional concerns or handling issues over slides in general?

4. Has Jayco or Lippert modified any of these models for 2020? I read about a few issues, but especially concerned about the cracking problem noted in a recent thread? We are looking forward to time in it this summer, but have the option to wait until this fall to purchase.

5. Any "must-have" options that should be done by the dealer right away for full-time living? I don't want to start off voiding any warranties. We anticipate extra batteries and perhaps a generator to hold the fridge cold while "dry-camping" for multiday trips between locations.

6. Do either of the smaller models allow for smaller tow vehicle than a 1-ton DRW? My math suggest we would carry about 1800-2000 lbs cargo, with on-board generator, plus some fresh water for above dry-camping up to near the GVWR. My math also suggests that most of that weight will be towards the front putting an additional 1000 pounds or more on the king pin over the dry hitch weights (allowing for some added weight of factory options). Any real kingpin load numbers you can share for these RV?

7. Any other issues to consider regarding model selection? "We don't know what we don't know to ask about"!

Sorry again for the long list of questions

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Steve
We have a 2017 KPTS and love it!! When we bought it we added an LP generator because it was prewired for it from the factory. I also added a large solar panel on the roof to keep the extra two deep cycle batteries charged (three total), especially while in storage. Added just a few other little things and it is ready to enjoy. My local dealer has been very good about fixing some warranty issues and I am overall very happy with this fifth wheel! Going for a week of camping with my Grandkids this week in fact!
You are limited in your choice of Campgrounds because of the length, but once you find a place, it has lots of room and is very comfortable to stay in for extended trips.
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #14

If you decide to go with a GMC Sierra 3500 Denali dually - contact Deter Buick and ask for Chas. Nobody can beat his deals. I placed an order July 18th and the truck is yet to be started to be built. I figure around first week of Sept. I am also ordering Pinnacle 32RLTS due to length (pin to bumper - 35 feet) because it will fit in more camping areas (doesn't matter when boon docking) than the longer ones especially in State Parks. Mind now, duallys have their limitations because of width (fenders) - you can forget McDonalds drive thrus :-) and certain roads as well. Duallys offer a better platform for the 5th wheel with less wagging compared to a single axle and there's PAYLOAD which is the prime factor. Any truck can pull, but its the PAYLOAD and STABILITY.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #15

The RLTS wasn’t an option when we bought our KPTS, but we did look long and hard at the NP before deciding on the Pinnacle. In the long run the extra width and perfect floor plan (at least for us) are what sold us. We couldn’t be happier with our decision. We moved up from a 37’ Eagle, and the extra length and width was an adjustment, but a very quick one, and we haven’t found ourselves limited at all. We don’t boondock so didn’t get the generator, but I do run 4 6V batteries to keep the residential fridge going while we’re on the road.

As far as a TV, as the others have said, go with the DRW. My truck has a 4200 lb payload, and I’m within my weight limits, but just barely. A little wiggle room and the added stability would be great, but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment.

Regardless of which unit you go with, you won’t go wrong, all are great rigs.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #16

I would go Pinnacle.
And make sure you get the thermal panes.
Generator for sure.. solar is a great option with 4 6v batteries, but cloudy and rainy days put a damper on solar power with the residential fridge. Thus the generator, and you can run the AC.
I would also get the Sanicon option... after drycamping you won’t always have access to a convenient dump station. I’m dealing with a 3/4 full black tank right now from boondocking...I could get rid of it if I had a macerator.
Don’t even mess around and go straight for the disc brake option.

50/50 chance the big kitchen slide will give you trouble. I lost that bet and I know a few others that did too.
50/50 chance on the Level up as well. I lost on that too.
Four of us on this forum had new front jacks good willed from Lippert.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #17

Don't know anything about the NP but I own a 36SSWS Pinnicle and love it. I agree Gen. would be nice and a washer and dryer if you are semi full timing. But only use when you have a full hook up site. (They will fill your gray tank )

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:

I have a 2019 Pinnacle 37MDQS the pin weight fully loaded is 3900# I am towing with a 2018 Chevy 3500 DRW Diesel if you load up the 36KPTS I am sure your pin weight would be in the 3700# to 3800# range. If you are a Chevy guy I would wait and get a 2020 3500 DRW it is going to be the highest rated towing truck between it, Ford and the Dodge trucks for 2020.
MaxDMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36kpts, kingpin, long slides