Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Where we Park It"
Posts: 1,070
Had our Pinnacle and Truck Weighted again

We had our Jayco Pinnacle and Chevy 2500HD Truck weighed about a year and a half ago, since then we have moved from the 2500HD to a GMC 3500HD DRW and have added a Stackable W/D and some more stuff.

We were weighed by the RVSEF (RV Safety & Education Foundation) using individual 5000 lb. scales on each wheel.

Below are our current numbers

Truck 3500HD DRW, no Trailer, full of fuel, two passengers.
Left Front Right Front
2,450 lbs. 2,450 lbs.
Left Rear Right Rear
2,050 lbs. 2,000 lbs.
Truck Weight with no Trailer = 8,950 lbs.

Truck 3500HD DRW with 5th Wheel connected, full of fuel, two passengers
Left Front Right Front
2,500 lbs. 2,500 lbs.
Left Rear Right Rear
3,850 lbs. 3,825 lbs.

Truck Weight with 5er Connected = 12,675 lbs.

Calculated Pin Weight = 3,725 lbs. (12,675 lbs. - 8,950 lbs. = 3,725 lbs.)

Pinnacle Weight, connected to Truck

Left Front Right Front
3,500 lbs. 2,600 lbs. Front Axle weight 6,100 lbs.
Left Rear Right Rear
3,350 lbs. 2,550 lbs. Rear Axle weight 5,900 lbs.

Total Weight on Trailer Axles = 12,000 lbs.

Trailer Weight on Axles (12,000 lbs.) + Calculated Pin Weight (3,725 lbs.) = Total Trailer Weight = 15,725 lbs.

Gross Combined Weight (Truck + Trailer) 24,675 lbs.
__________________

__________________
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
SOB
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,360
Thanks for the numbers Rob. My wife and I were thinking of going with a fifth wheel but our 2012 F-250 couldn't handle the pin weight of the models we liked. Maybe next year.
__________________

TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Larry G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Reno (home base) Winter Eloy, AZ
Posts: 951
Good job Rob.

Gotta do that again soon...especially with those heavier Sailun's on now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
We had our Jayco Pinnacle and Chevy 2500HD Truck weighed about a year and a half ago, since then we have moved from the 2500HD to a GMC 3500HD DRW and have added a Stackable W/D and some more stuff.

We were weighed by the RVSEF (RV Safety & Education Foundation) using individual 5000 lb. scales on each wheel.

Below are our current numbers

Truck 3500HD DRW, no Trailer, full of fuel, two passengers.
Left Front Right Front
2,450 lbs. 2,450 lbs.
Left Rear Right Rear
2,050 lbs. 2,000 lbs.
Truck Weight with no Trailer = 8,950 lbs.

Truck 3500HD DRW with 5th Wheel connected, full of fuel, two passengers
Left Front Right Front
2,500 lbs. 2,500 lbs.
Left Rear Right Rear
3,850 lbs. 3,825 lbs.

Truck Weight with 5er Connected = 12,675 lbs.

Calculated Pin Weight = 3,725 lbs. (12,675 lbs. - 8,950 lbs. = 3,725 lbs.)

Pinnacle Weight, connected to Truck

Left Front Right Front
3,500 lbs. 2,600 lbs. Front Axle weight 6,100 lbs.
Left Rear Right Rear
3,350 lbs. 2,550 lbs. Rear Axle weight 5,900 lbs.

Total Weight on Trailer Axles = 12,000 lbs.

Trailer Weight on Axles (12,000 lbs.) + Calculated Pin Weight (3,725 lbs.) = Total Trailer Weight = 15,725 lbs.

Gross Combined Weight (Truck + Trailer) 24,675 lbs.
__________________

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 149
Do you have an idea why your trailer is 1700 pounds heavier on the left side vs right side? I've never weighed my vehicle side to side so maybe mine is too?
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Where we Park It"
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Thanks for the numbers Rob. My wife and I were thinking of going with a fifth wheel but our 2012 F-250 couldn't handle the pin weight of the models we liked. Maybe next year.
This just confirms that going by the "Brochure Numbers" is usually off by quite a bit.

Due to the amount and frequency we travel, it is good to know exactly what your weight number are.
__________________
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
SOB
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Where we Park It"
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
Do you have an idea why your trailer is 1700 pounds heavier on the left side vs right side? I've never weighed my vehicle side to side so maybe mine is too?
The left side weights more due to the layout of our 5th Wheel.

The left side has the Entertainment Center, Stove, Microwave, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer and Bathroom and two slides (Long rear slide with Entertainment Center / Kitchen and Bedroom) .

The right side has a Theater Seating Unit, Dinning Table and the Hallway to the Bedroom and one Slide (Theater Seating and Dinning Table w only 2 chairs, 2 chairs in storage)

When you think about it, no wonder the left side is 1700 lbs. heaver than the right side.
__________________
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
SOB
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Where we Park It"
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Thanks for the numbers Rob. My wife and I were thinking of going with a fifth wheel but our 2012 F-250 couldn't handle the pin weight of the models we liked. Maybe next year.
3500HD Truck Ratings

Front Axle = 5,600 lbs.
Rear Axle = 9,375 lbs.
GVWR = 13,000 lbs.
GCWR = 30,500 lbs.
Max Trailer (5th Wheel) = 22,400 lbs.

Pinnacle 5th Wheel Ratings
Axle = 6,800 lbs. (7,000 Dexter Axles de-rated due to Jayco using "E" Rated Tires, we are currently running "G" Rated Tires at 3,750 Lb. Rating)
Gross Weight = 15,950 lbs.
__________________
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
SOB
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: southwest pa.
Posts: 50
these weights are near max. for the trailer . Did you have the fresh water tanks full and well loaded for a long trip etc. If not then adding water, fuel and other things like firewood would probably exceed GVW. of the trailer as well as the truck which I assume is around 13,000lbs. If jayco used E load range ST tires then left front is already at max . 3,500;bs. Just seems heavy when trailer spec. for unloaded is around 12,000lbs.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
snip....... it is good to know exactly what your weight number are.
X2
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Where we Park It"
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul n it all View Post
these weights are near max. for the trailer . Did you have the fresh water tanks full and well loaded for a long trip etc. If not then adding water, fuel and other things like firewood would probably exceed GVW. of the trailer as well as the truck which I assume is around 13,000lbs. If jayco used E load range ST tires then left front is already at max . 3,500;bs. Just seems heavy when trailer spec. for unloaded is around 12,000lbs.
Our yellow label that shows the actual weight as built / shipped is 12,981 lbs.
The Jayco brochure shows a number much closer to 12,000 lbs. but when you add a second A/C, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac System, MorRyde Pin Box and other options, the weight really adds up.
We added a stackable W/D and since we fulltime in our Pinnacle, we have a Air Compressor, tools, food, clothes and such for fulltime living.

We do not travel with any water in the tanks and, also due to the amount of stuff we have we changed to the "G" Rated tires and sold the Factory installed "E" Rated Tires
__________________

__________________
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
SOB
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.