Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Angry Hail Damage

After dodging hail storms for 4 years the hail finally got our 2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS last Thursday. The hail was golf ball to tennis ball in size with 65 mph winds. All of the metal skirting on the door side is very dented and the kitchen area MaxxFan lid shattered as did the cover that was over the bathroom MaxxFan. I cannot see any damage to the fiberglass walls or to the front or back caps. A quick visual inspection did not show any obvious breaks in the roofing material. The wind pushed in and moved about the doorside slide so that water was poring in at the top trim and was pouring from the lights over the dining table. It blew the outlet cover off between the recliners and dining table. The wind moved the slide such that it loosened the slide motor from it's mountings and wouldn't work. I've repaired that. I have notified the Insurance Company. My question is what should I expect from the Adjuster when he shows up to do the inspection? My concern is the roof and potential water damage to the slide ceiling. The hail was packed tight between the inner and outer rubber seals of the slide. The hail also tore the heck out of my Chevy 1 ton.
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #2

That sucks... sorry to hear that. Hope everyone is ok as damages can be repaired.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about the damage. I had some last year on my older camper although not as bad. Hopefully you get an RV trained adjuster.. even though the roof doesn't look bad it could be. I have American Family and he was able to wave my RV deductible because the truck and camper are a set. Cannot pull the camper without the truck.. only 1 deductible for both. i was very happy to say the least... good luck with the repairs.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

I would find a trustworthy repair shop before the insurance guy and let them find the damage. They can see damage you and I might miss. I had hail damage and many hits I never saw until pointed out to me were part of the claim. With fiberglass micro cracks will only continue to get bigger. The tiny cracks could let in water and even freeze and crack. Also, driving may make them worse. Metal trim around windows, AC fins, etc. can really add up.
If damage is cosmetic then you have as often discussed weather to fix or take the cash and leave it.

On one of my popups I was in N. Dakota and had the aluminum cracked. I took the cash and filled the holes and never had a problem. But I kept the camper for 10 years so no loss in trade value.

There are several posts in the recent past over this decision. Make a quick search to get some suggestions.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #5

Man that areas seems to get hit hard. A few years ago we almost drove the camper into a big storm that beat the absolute crap out of the entire town of Deadwood. We were running later than scheduled, were tired, and the radar showed nasty activity so we stopped at a campground about an hour away and stayed the night before continuing on to town. Once we got to town it looked like a war zone. Dazed locals and tourists walking around looking at carnage. So thankful we didn’t press on into town the night before!

Good luck on the camper, hail sucks
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

What RogerR said.
In a storm, we got small hail dents on all 4 sides of our brand new, alum sided, TT. Our insurance adjuster reported dents on just 2 sides and our insurance co sent us a check for the damages to those 2 sides.
We didn't cash the check and told them the adjuster needed to re-check the unit. They gave us various reasons why they couldn't/wouldn't do that.
I towed it back to our dealer and their service dept circled ALL the dents with erasable marker, took photos, and sent those photos to the insurance company. We did get another check for the damage.
Overall, it took several months.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

In Illinois and maybe elsewhere you have the right to have a second adjuster come up out if you dispute the claim. I had siding damage on my house that the first agent said was repairable. When no luck talking to him (via emails that I kept a copy of every one) a second adjuster came out and agreed with me. Like pulling teeth, you have to keep jerking on them till they finally pop out (with a check that is).
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

I had baseball size hits that went dar enough through the roof to break the ceiling inside, on a previous trailer. Water inside is why they totalled the trailer. Water coming from fixtures and vents. The cost was too much to fix that and possibly mold.

If I were you, I would have current comps for replacement of your exact unit in my back pocket. That includes any major improvements you might have done.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote