Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
16 mpg, wow. I must have the crappy dmax or doing something wrong.
No, you have a full emission equipped DMax. Nothing wrong with it at all. The LB7 is pre-emission. When I got the truck, it averaged 19 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We have 06 3500 Ram automatic 4x4 bought new, on second fiver never get better than 11 mpg!
The first thing I did when I got my truck was add a Fass Fuel pump and filters. The Chevy didn't have a lift pump like the Cummins. Same Bosch CP3 injector pump, but on the Chevy, all the fuel delivery was dependent on the injector pump. It was hard on the pump and injectors. The next mod was a tuner. Tuners are not just for "Ricky Road Racer." Get a tuner and a good tow download. When you increase low RPM torque, you increase efficiency. As I stated, when I first got my truck, it averaged on the highway, 19 MPG. Now, even with the turbo, injectors, exhaust, etc, etc, I average 24 MPG on the highway, IF i keep close to or under 2000 RPM's.
About 2 years ago, my wife and I took a trip up north to my brother's house and my son was following in his "new" truck. His wife called me to tell me how good his truck was doing at 19 MPG. So I sent this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
20170325_102506.jpg  
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #62

I have not read all the posts that have been talking about 1/2 with a 5er. My wife used to work for the insurance industry. With that said your insurance company may not have to pay in the event of a accadent, no matter who is at fault, if you are pulling over weight. That would go for any truck trailer combnation. There are limits what your insurance will cover and what it will not. You do not want to be over limits no matter if it is safer or not.

I looked into a 5er for our Ram 1500. If I loaded the trailer on the light side, I would have about 400 pounds I could put in the pickup. Me, wife, dog, and a few gallons of gas for the generator would put us over the limit of the truck. Our 24RKS works for us. Lots of left over weight to haul the extras for the long stays.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #63

Half Ton Fifth Wheel

New to the forum and late to this discussion but, I bought this year (2019) a 2018 Ford F-250 4X4 SuperCab with 6'9" bed, using the Anderson Hitch to pull a 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS.

I truly could not determine if a HT truck would meet the necessary weight/load requirements. The RV dealer said that my previous 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 would have no problem. I could not find anyone that would support this claim. In fact every number that I could find indicated the the 1500 would be overweight.

So I got the F-250 with the RV. Actually based on most numbers that I could find it is very close to being overweight.

Although the F-250 is rough riding, the biggest negative I have found about the 2018 F-250 is that it is very tall and really does not fit under the Eagle HT 28.5RSTS very well. There is about 9" height difference between the front of the RV and its Rear. When loaded on the F-250 the overall height of the RV is about 13'9" at it highest point--this is very concerning.

I have looked into the possibilities to lower the F-250 even about 3" would greatly reduce it overall height, but not able to find any kind of kit or anyone that is doing any kind of lowerng modification.

I wonder if anyone has run into this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input. Jim/KC4HW
oldmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #64

You could possibly do 2 things. First how far off the rails of your truck does the trailer sit. You could lower the hitch in the bed to a lower bolt setting. Second you could move the hitch on the trailer to a higher bolt setting and either or both should help

The dealer where you purchased unit should help you level the ride. Leaning backward will cause issues with the rear tires on the trailer over time due to an imbalance of weight distribution on axles
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #65

I had the same problem when I got my set up. 2018 F350 and a 2017 28.5. Lowered trailer springs to lowest bolt hole choice and added a Lippert Correct track system. So I raised my 5er 3.5". Next mod will be to put 16" tires on in place of the 15" ones which would give me a little over a inch more. That should get me closer to level.

I currently have 6" clearance on my bed rails and 5.5" on the tail gate. I am not as high as you though (only 1 AC thats on the back of the 5er) so I am only 12'-8" high and thats to the top of the front vent cover I put on otherwise I would have only been about 12'-3".
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #66

There is 6" space between the truck bed side rail and the RV. Anderson recommend maintaining 5 to 6 inches betwen the bed rail and the RV.

There is one 1" adjustment downward on the Anderson hitch.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #67

Hey this is good input. I think I will get the dealer to help me solve this problem. Thanks! for the good help.

I don't think my responses lined up with the messages. So thanks much both Jim Smyth and nynethead for the information.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjim View Post
New to the forum and late to this discussion but, I bought this year (2019) a 2018 Ford F-250 4X4 SuperCab with 6'9" bed, using the Anderson Hitch to pull a 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS.

I truly could not determine if a HT truck would meet the necessary weight/load requirements. The RV dealer said that my previous 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 would have no problem. I could not find anyone that would support this claim. In fact every number that I could find indicated the the 1500 would be overweight.

So I got the F-250 with the RV. Actually based on most numbers that I could find it is very close to being overweight.

Although the F-250 is rough riding, the biggest negative I have found about the 2018 F-250 is that it is very tall and really does not fit under the Eagle HT 28.5RSTS very well. There is about 9" height difference between the front of the RV and its Rear. When loaded on the F-250 the overall height of the RV is about 13'9" at it highest point--this is very concerning.

I have looked into the possibilities to lower the F-250 even about 3" would greatly reduce it overall height, but not able to find any kind of kit or anyone that is doing any kind of lowerng modification.

I wonder if anyone has run into this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input. Jim/KC4HW
We have the 2017 F250 FX4 with 20” wheels and a 2018 28.5 RSTS. Our pin weight is just shy of 2000 lbs which leaves us about 900 lbs of useful load and when hitched to the truck, our height is 12’ 7” with the low profile front AC. The FW has 16” wheels and the shackles in the lowest holes. The unit rides almost level.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #69

2017 f350, FX4, 18"wheels. We're pulling an Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS using a PullRite Superlite (same as the Andersen except the ball is on the trailer). The HT has 16" wheels, low holes. The 350 hardly squats at all and we're level. Just us though

Tom
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #70

OK, thanks again for all the input. I have an appointment Wednesday with the RV shop, hopefully I can get some good information from them.

I will report back the finding and results as soon as I know something.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #71

I just saw this video on another RV Forum, for those considering a Half Ton pickup for a Fifth Wheel, this is a pretty indepth discussion of what kind of truck you might need or how big a Fifth Wheel you should try to tow.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/mat...ks-to-trailers

The presenter walks you through all the numbers that you need to consider.

BTW, towing is only half the deal one has to consider STOPPING the whole thing also!!

Jim/KC4HW
Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #72
Site Team

"BTW, towing is only half the deal one has to consider STOPPING the whole thing also!!"

Absolutely spot on!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #73

Quote:
I just saw this video on another RV Forum, for those considering a Half Ton pickup for a Fifth Wheel, this is a pretty indepth discussion of what kind of truck you might need or how big a Fifth Wheel you should try to tow.

https://rvsafety.com/rv-education/ma...ks-to-trailers

The presenter walks you through all the numbers that you need to consider.

BTW, towing is only half the deal one has to consider STOPPING the whole thing also!!

Jim/KC4HW

Here is another url for those considering a 5th wheel and what vehicle they have or want to get..

Trailer Towing Guides | How to tow safely | Trailer Life

I would say that the video and this article combined should give anyone enough information to make a reasonably educated decision.

Actually I don't put alot of credence in what RV/Truck salesmen say!

Jim/KC4HW
Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #74

Quote:
OK, thanks again for all the input. I have an appointment Wednesday with the RV shop, hopefully I can get some good information from them.

I will report back the finding and results as soon as I know something.
Well I did not get an abundance of help from the dealer--actually I am not surprised!

Actually several have talked about the Lippert 2" lift and alignment kit. Unfortunately this kit is not available any longer. However the lift kit (alone) is still available, albeit a pretty hefty price increase to $575 bucks. It may be necessary to bring the trailer up a bit.

I did find that PMFSuspension.com offers a rear shackle lowering kit for the 2018 F-250. It will lower the rear end of the truck about 1 1/2". Guess this is a start.

I am still thinking about the 2" lift kit for the RV. Has anyone had any bad experience with raising their RV this high or higher?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Very misleading numbers and this is where Ford does a great disservice to new truck owners. My 2017 Lariet with the Max Tow Package had a 1620 lb payload. The only way you get up to 2380 is with a single cab, 2WD, and Max Payload package. Some F250's dont have a 2380 Payload!
I feel like your information is dated. https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...20#post1239666

These unicorns may need to be ordered, but they can be had.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #76

Here's my story with my HT pickup and RV. I bought a 2012 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5, 5ther witch weighted just under 6K empty. I figured it listed out to around 7800 loaded. I never pulled it with the tanks loaded. I towed it with a 2012 Chevy Crewcab 4x4, 1500 with the 5.3L engine. I upgraded to a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 witch listed at 8200 empty. After my wife and I got done stocking it with everything the weight went up to 10K. We were coming home from a South Texas vacation back in 2017 and I noticed that our new HT 5ther was pushing us all over the road. I asked my wife if she felt what I was feeling. It was like I was sitting on a water balloon, my A** was wiggling in my seat. She had the same feeling witch wasn't good. I told her that we're putting ourselves as well as everybody around us in danger. We're going to have to get a 3/4 ton to pull your new 5ther. She agreed, so we retired our HT pickup. Bottom line is that your HT pickup may pull your HT RV empty, but your RV's loaded weight is your final answer. Be safe as well as be safe for others on the road with you.
Happy RVing,
Chris
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #77

Quote:
Well I did not get an abundance of help from the dealer--actually I am not surprised!

Actually several have talked about the Lippert 2" lift and alignment kit. Unfortunately this kit is not available any longer. However the lift kit (alone) is still available, albeit a pretty hefty price increase to $575 bucks. It may be necessary to bring the trailer up a bit.

I did find that PMFSuspension.com offers a rear shackle lowering kit for the 2018 F-250. It will lower the rear end of the truck about 1 1/2". Guess this is a start.

I am still thinking about the 2" lift kit for the RV. Has anyone had any bad experience with raising their RV this high or higher?

I don't know man. Not doubting you one bit but something sounds off.

I have pretty much the same set-up as you, with the difference being my truck is a 350, and if you look at a 250 and 350 side-by-side on the lot the 350 actually sits a tiny bit higher. Our Eagle HT rides pretty much level. The trailer shackles are in the lowest holes, which the dealer did at no charge and we have the 16" wheels, but if I'm not mistaken that only raises the trailer by 3" or so total. Sounds strange to me that your trailer sits 9" nose high.

Again, not doubting you at all. Just doesn't sound right to me is all.

Tom
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #78

I have a 2018 F350 with a 2017 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS. It has the standard 15" wheels. When I got it, it was already in the lower suspension holes and I had a 7" nose high condition. This was measured from the underside of the front and rear frame. I was worried about the fridge potentially not running correctly if not closer to level and also my tailgate clearance at that time was 4".

So I put the Lippert correct track system on my 5th wheel. I am now closer to level and have 6" clearance on the side rails and 5.5" clearance on the tail gate. Next mod will be to put 16" tires on which should give me another 1" raise in back so hopefully I will have 6+" on the tailgate after that. My height with the vent covers at the highest place is 12'-8" so I have a little more room to go.

In hindsight I did find on the forum recently a thread talking about a rear shackle lowering kit for the truck which may have been a better/easier mod to get more level but initially I didnt want to mess with the tow vehicle.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #79

When we were looking for a truck, we knew we wanted a 5th wheel. This is our first RV, and probably our last. We did all the number crunching, and technically, if we got a very small 5th wheel and didn't put much in it, and got the special towing package on the truck, we could do it with an F150, but it would be maxed out right from day one. I still wanted to do it, because I've always wanted an F150. What really helped me decide to go to a bigger truck was the fact that the F150 did not come with the puck system, and Ford was kind of vague about why not. So we would have to take a brand new truck and put some aftermarket rail system on it to tow a 5th. I didn't like that. I felt that if Ford wanted us to tow a 5th wheel with it, they would have made the puck system available.
Anyway, we got the F250. We love it. We're happy as heck with it, and know that we are good with our weights and have a little leeway, too. If we were younger, and the possibility of a big toy hauler or Pinnacle or something was in our future, we would definitely be driving a 350 longbed dually or better.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #80

It is possible to special order a F150 with the Payload Package and the Max Tow Package and get up to around 2400# payload with a 4800# rear axle. Basically 3/4 Ton weights in the F150 frame size. That will stay within the numbers of the smaller 5th wheels.

The problem is that Tow Vehicle set up IMO doesnt have enough weight to be a stabilized platform in all conditions. I unfortunately didnt have the Payload Package and came up short and was overweight by 400#-500# in payload and rear axle weight and was literally blown all over the road, sometimes violently.

Not worth the pucker factor......

Tags
fifth wheel, half ton