Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #1

Hammering water pump

Since I bought my new trailer the water pump works, but it hammers between cycles. In my old trailer it would pump then go silent a couple seconds then pump again. This one never goes silent. Dealer said nothing was wrong with it. I installed a silencing kit and it's usable now but still hammers between cycles. Any ideas I could try? Would a new pump be worth a try?

bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

It sounds like you may have a small leak in a water line or one of your faucets is slightly dripping. The reason it is hammering or most likely cycling on for a short burst is to build up pressure in the water lines. Check all your faucets, outdoor shower if you have one and make sure they are all closed. Also check all your fittings with a bright flashlight for dripping.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

What trailer do you have?
To my knowledge and someone correct me if I am wrong. Most, if not all trailer water pumps are on demand. Meaning they will pump and pressurize the system until a certain back pressure is detected by the pump, then stop pumping. Once in a while there will be a pressure bleed off and they will cycle periodically to return to full pressure.
Usually this indicates a warn seal of some sort in the pump or worse yet a leak somewhere in the system.
What exactly is "hammering between cycles"? If you are referring to the occasional cycle to return the system to full pressure. Then I would say that is normal. I would still check for leaks.
On our new TT, the pump runs to pressurize the system and then stops. we have sat in it for almost two hours and it does not cycle/run again. Indicating the systems maintains full pressure and there are no leaks. Even still, we try to make a habit to shut the pump off when not actually running water.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

I think I had the same problem you are describing. When I de-winterized it last week and started the pump, it would do the "hammering" noise while it was running. Turns out one water line under the floor in the basement was close to the underside of the floor, and the pump pulsations were making it vibrate against the plywood, and it basically acted like a speaker and sounded awful. Had another line under the sink in the bathroom doing the same thing. A little pipe insulation on both stopped the noise.
After the pump builds up pressure and stops, it should not run again unless you open a faucet or flush the toilet. If it is coming back on with all valves closed, I'd start looking for a leak.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

It only does it when I turn on a faucet. It does not run at all when it shouldn't be I don't suspect any leaks. If I open a faucet wide open it hums along nicely, but if I close the faucet slightly off of wide open, it begins to hammer hard. The pump shakes which in turn makes pipes shake. I try to run faucets full boar to avoid it, wastes alot of water that way. My old trailers pump never acted this way is why I suspect something wrong. My trailers a 2014 33.5rets
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

I suspect you have the same problem I had. Same thing, wide open, no noise except the hum of the pump, but if you turn it on slowly, it hammers. My unit is a 2014 also, and has Pex plastic piping. I couldn't tolerate the noise, so I tracked it down and insulated them from what they were vibrating on. I think it may also eventually wear into the pipe if let go long enough. Part of the reason for the hammering is no expansion tank anywhere in the system, except for the small space in the top of the water heater water heater. (just found that out the other day reading the Atwood manual). When I found the one pipe in the bathroom vanity that was vibrating against the shelf, I thought I had fixed it. But the big noise was coming from underneath. Had to remove a false wall to get to it, but I eventually found it. I suppose they can't catch everything at the factory.
Good luck and be sure to let us know what you find.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

As mentioned in the previous post, there is no expansion tank in the typical RV water system, except in some high-end models. The solution is to install a tank like this one.
It can be installed almost anywhere you can find room, by putting a tee in the pressure line after the pump outlet. I installed one in our Pinnacle, and we can run at least a gallon of water before the pump will come on. When the pump does start, it runs for longer to repressurize the tank.

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #8

sounds like something an accumulator would fix.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichaels View Post
sounds like something an accumulator would fix.
If you read the manual for your water pump, it may say an accumulator is not needed. Something to check out. Our manual says not to use an accumulator.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

I would tighten all water fittings. The word is "pressure loss", and even a slight air or water loss will cause the pump to cycle. Pay attention to the in-line filter just before the pump. You probably will not find a great deal of water.

arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote