Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2022, 12:25 PM   #1

Heading south question

We will be heading to Florida the end of January, I have a 2021 Eagle 319MLOK
I have a whirlpool residential refrigerator I would like to pre cool so I can take frozen meats with us. The inside of the trailer in the upper 20s do I need to warm up inside of trailer for refrigerator to work right?
2018 Jayflight 28 RLS (traded)
langewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by langewi View Post
We will be heading to Florida the end of January, I have a 2021 Eagle 319MLOK
I have a whirlpool residential refrigerator I would like to pre cool so I can take frozen meats with us. The inside of the trailer in the upper 20s do I need to warm up inside of trailer for refrigerator to work right?
The only experience I've had with a residential fridge is at my cabin, which is unheated when we aren't using it. It doesn't work right on the freezer section when cabin interior is below 25 or 30 deg or so. Things in the freezer are semi-frozen, but you can tell they are not hard frozen. When I warm up the cabin, it's fine. We don't keep anything in the refrigerator section, just a cabin for occasional use in the winter.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #3

We have residential refrigerator too. You do not need to warm up your camper for your refrigerator to cool before you leave. We used an extension cord to power the camper and keep the freezer at proper temp while we loaded everything up for the trip. We left New Hampshire early December our freezer was cold and making ice as we traveled to Florida. No problems, freezer was fine and solar panel kept batteries charged. Of course, we did not boondock... for that, we would need Lithium batteries because the refrigerator uses a lot of power.
If you want to know how long you can power your camper without hookups, get yourself a 'Smart Shunt' (search forum for posts). It will show current usage and how many hours it will take before you reach 50% of your battery storage - on your phone.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Stan & Sharon thanks for the reply my concern was if the refrigerator side was not calling for cooling that the freezer would not get down to good frozen point as yooper 906 seen in his unseated cabin. Not sure it freezer set point is 0 degrees would that make compressor run even if refrigerator side was satisfied.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

The freezer has it's own temperature control on the front door. Here is a link a guide that explains how to set the temperature.
Before we left home, the camper was plugged into AC so the frig was at correct temps before we left. While traveling, the camper's battery is providing power and the solar is contributing to it too. I think we'd need to turn off the inverter to turn off the refrigerator while on the road.
What are your plans?
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #6

Back in September we went to the Florida keys we pre cooled the refrigerator packed the freezer with our frozen food and put the refrigerated thing in refrigerator and froze 12 plastic water bottles to put in fridge side and ran on twin group 27 battery’s with a charge line from truck we ran around 6 hrs each day and refrigerator and freezer did fine. That was our plan for this trip was just wanted to make sure refrigerator will work properly in colder weather. Wouldn’t want to lose frozen meat in freezer.