Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #1

Heat Selection Options

I completely deleted this post so I could rephrase it. My question is about the selection of the heat source on the BMPro. The options are heat pump, furnace and both. I have never used both. The BMPro manual is silent about the both selection. If I select both will it work like our prior fifth wheel and automatically switch to gas if the air temp drops a certain number of degrees below the set temp?
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I completely deleted this post so I could rephrase it. My question is about the selection of the heat source on the BMPro. The options are heat pump, furnace and both. I have never used both. The BMPro manual is silent about the both selection. If I select both will it work like our prior fifth wheel and automatically switch to gas if the air temp drops a certain number of degrees below the set temp?
That is a good question. We have yet to camp in cold conditions requiring both, but I will venture a guess that the furnace will come on at whatever temperature you have it set on as you mentioned, and the heat pump, for better or worse, will keep running and putting out cool air if it is cold enough outside.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #3

I finally tried it and it does run the gas furnace and the heat pump at the same time. I was hoping it would be and either/or but doesn't look like it. We are camped at 8000 feet in Colorado and had one morning at 31. Most mornings are in the 40's so most of the heat pump is all we needed. On the colder morning I woke up to the heat pump running but doing no good due to the low temp.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I finally tried it and it does run the gas furnace and the heat pump at the same time. I was hoping it would be and either/or but doesn't look like it. We are camped at 8000 feet in Colorado and had one morning at 31. Most mornings are in the 40's so most of the heat pump is all we needed. On the colder morning I woke up to the heat pump running but doing no good due to the low temp.
A while back they were programmed so the fan in the a/c would run under the guise of helping to circulate the air. Many did not like it and had to reprogram the JAY COMMAND, which is what was in use then. Maybe that is why they now have the option for the user to select it. Just a guess..
Old 09-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #5

below 40 or so, the Coleman Mach info says it will turn off the heat pump and use the optional electric element in the Coleman unit. I would hope in the both mode on the BmPro the furnace would turn on if the heat pump or electric element can't meet demand.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:58 AM   #6

I don't have the optional electric heating element, so it just runs, cold air if outside temps too cool.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:51 AM   #7

The units on my Pinnacle are Dometic. The ones on our previous fifth wheel were Coleman. That may explain the difference in how they work. I'm not sure what was on it originally as we had both units changed out for a set of low profile ac/heat pumps as part of our deal. We did that to give us more clearance to get it in our garage.