Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

Heater question

I was trying to warm up our NorthPoint using the propane furnace. It kicks on but nothing is coming out of the floor vents. I went outside and the exhaust is extremely warm. After a few minutes the floor vents are slightly warm, but still no heated air coming from floor vents. Where is all the warm air going?
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #2

I do not have a NorthPoint. When you say "nothing is coming out", do you feel any air movement? If there is no air movement, I suspect one of two things. Your cold air return is blocked (often a vent under the steps). Have you checked your cargo hold where the furnace is located? If it is really nice and warm, I would suspect a disconnected furnace duct.

FYI, When I first turn my furnace on usually it takes a minute or so for "heat" to start coming out of the vents. After that, usually there is a lot of noticeable heat.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
I was trying to warm up our NorthPoint using the propane furnace. It kicks on but nothing is coming out of the floor vents. I went outside and the exhaust is extremely warm. After a few minutes the floor vents are slightly warm, but still no heated air coming from floor vents. Where is all the warm air going?
What you feel with your hand certainly could be normal (you should feel air coming out cold or hot though). Similar to a vehicle's heater there is a time period for the heater core to warm up and while propane heaters can start generating heat faster than an engine's coolant heater can, there is still a period of time where the heat that comes out is cold, gets a little warmer, then gets even more warmer all depending on the ambient air temp in the RV. I would place a thermometer at one of the outlets and watch it and see if the temperature increases with time, if not then you have a problem, if so then it may be working just fine and the output temp will increase over time. I would suggest that you should know if it is working within ~15 minutes, still may be cold inside though for even longer than that. ~CA
Old 02-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #4

Very insignificant amount of warm air coming out. Not like I remember it blowing last winter. I recently picked up the camper. It had been at dealer for 5 months waiting on some warranty work. I’m going to check underneath the stairs. I remember the panel being off in the underneath storage compartment. The electric heat is blowing cool air also. So that’s not helping.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #5

Yes it’s definitely warm air coming out now. And the temperature in camper is increasing. But the lack of air flow from floor vents is concerning. I’m going to check for a disconnect somewhere