Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

heatpump or not to heatpump

We plan on ordering a 2015 pinnacle 35FBTS this weekend. One of the options is to add the heat pump. From what I can find they are kind of noisey. Does anyone have any experience with using one? Does it do a better/worse job of cooling? Thanks in advance.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I would get it. It is my understanding that you can heat with electric alone and save your propane down to a certain temp.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

That's what I understand also. I am more concerned with how noisey it is and if it cools as well as the standard ac. I hate being hot and I can always turn the furnace on if the outside temp gets too low. I hate being cold also. Makes sense I work outside year around.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

They have a higher efficiency rating than a standard air cond. I love ours and no louder than an air cond.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Site Team

It is my understanding that RV heat pumps can only be used when the outside temperature is above freezing (usually to a low of about 40 or so degrees) because they do not have a defrost cycle. Another form of heat, propane or resistance electric, would have to be employed when the outside temperature dips below operating limit of the heat pump.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

I vote NO. To noisy..wears out the compressor faster...cheaper to replace ceramic heater than A/C unit. I had one in a previous RV. Elect heat strips OK.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Another thought: Unless the electricity at your site is metered, that's the only way you'll realize any cost savings on electric with a heat pump. If you're camping and paying a flat rate for electric, there's no benefit except for the satisfaction of being a little more environmentally friendly by conserving electricity.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #8

Have one on our 375BHFS and LOVE IT! It took a couple trips using it to get use to it the cycling between the heat pump and the furnace (as others mentioned, it only works down to about 40*.) It's not any louder than running the AC, which in our unit the whisper quiet AC is just that. For the little bit it adds to the cost I highly recommend them.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #9

On a new trailer being built,I would add on both ac's.
I'm an ac tech by trade and I don't think they are any more pron to problems than ac's.
Make sure it does have the heat strip option.
I did a little research and correct they do not "defrost" so it has a low temp cutoff (some 40 others 45) but if in southern half of US most time not a problem .
If either one of my units dies then I will change it to a heatpump & strip BUT I will modify it by adding a "defrost control"
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They have a higher efficiency rating than a standard air cond. I love ours and no louder than an air cond.
Ditto !

On the new models they're pretty quiet. When guest come over I have them stay in RV (or we do )) and we have used the Heat Pump on those cold nights. Adequately keeps you worm. Asked the neighbor if he can hear it ...."Nope". All is good.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
It is my understanding that RV heat pumps can only be used when the outside temperature is above freezing (usually to a low of about 40 or so degrees) because they do not have a defrost cycle. Another form of heat, propane or resistance electric, would have to be employed when the outside temperature dips below operating limit of the heat pump.
That would explain why my furnace comes on when I set the thermostat to electric heat. Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurv View Post
That would explain why my furnace comes on when I set the thermostat to electric heat. Thank you for clearing that up.
Also if there is more than a 5 degree temp differential the furnace will come on.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

We ordrered our 36FBTS yesterday and decided NOT to get the heatpump. I had some conversations with the Jayco factory rep and customer service department who actually talked me out of it. Also my in laws are snowbirds in the Florida panhandle. They did a quick poll with those who did and did not have heatpumps. The general consesus was to use space heaters that are easier to relace, less noisey and less initial cost. Hope I made the right decision. Time will tell.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
We ordrered our 36FBTS yesterday and decided NOT to get the heatpump. I had some conversations with the Jayco factory rep and customer service department who actually talked me out of it. Also my in laws are snowbirds in the Florida panhandle. They did a quick poll with those who did and did not have heatpumps. The general consesus was to use space heaters that are easier to relace, less noisey and less initial cost. Hope I made the right decision. Time will tell.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #15

What did the rep and service guy say that talked you out of it?
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #16

Mainly thet the style of camping we plan on doing at this time the heatpump would not really benefit us. The conversation led us to believe that the heater on the fireplace and perhaps a small apace heater willbe sufficient to keep us warm until the furnace would be needed. The conversation with the snowbirds also weighed heavily in our decision.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
Site Team

I wouldn't run two electric heaters unless you have 50A service.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #18

Well I gues I am like a little kid in the ice cream store. I talked to my salesman and the factory rep again this morning and decided to go ahead and add the heatpump option. This decision is like being married......for better or for worse I have to live with it now.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #19

There's a saying... "Better to have more then you need then need more then you have cause you don't have enough"!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
This decision is like being married......for better or for worse I have to live with it now.
I was/am very happy with the one in the SENECA and now with the one in the PINNACLE