Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 PM   #21

So far so good on the new welds, after about 1500 miles and 5 days. And over some less than stellar roads. Ogden to Glacier Nat'l Park to Calgary to Banf to Jasper/Hinton. On the way to Dawson Creek and the Alcan and home. No indication of any stress anywhere (and I check every P break and every night).

I checked all the factory paperwork that came with the TH, which was given to me by the previous owner, and I didn't see any mention of NOT using a Goose Neck Adaptor.
Admittedly I haven't check the warranty with a fine tooth comb, since I'm way beyon any warranty period anyway. Still, it seems like that should be a big red flag somewhere?

Anyway, I'm just thankful we caught it right away after the main frame break and the whole kit and kaboodle didn't take a separate exit on the freeway!

I'll confess to this, it scared the pee willies out of me when I saw it, and guaranteed it will be one of the main points of focus on the next rig we get.
SSBN608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #22

as a Postscript top my last post - I'm actually glad to hear, and I agree by the way, that it's MOST likely caused by the Goose Neck Adaptor. Much better to know the cause and that's it's been dealt with! Thanks for all the sage advice guys..................
Old 07-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #23

Glad to hear all is looking good still!!!

And you guys caught the issue when you did.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
The #3 pic looks like a fresh tear but the others look older with some rust in the breaks. Have you hauled some really heavy toys and are you the original owner?
#6 is flat-out a crappy weld. That bottom part wasn't even stuck to the frame on the right.

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBN608 View Post
I believe you are right that the Break in the frame is fresh, likely happened the day we discovered the problem or shortly before. The rest were older separations of the welds themselves.

I'm the 3rd owner, I know the second owner barely used it and didn't haul any toys.
Don't know about the first owner.

I'm hauling a SxS atv, which is why I think the final break came about.
HOWEVER, I'n not overloaded, and well within the GCVW rating and the Garage rating.
When I bought the TH, it had a goose neck adaptor on it, which I promptly had removed, and I'm towing with a B&W rollover/Companion.

The way the welds were all stressed and separated from the bottom, I wonder if the goose neck adaptor had anything to do with the issue? Or is the design of the front frame members just not adequate?

I'm tempted to have a structural engineer look at it for me when I get home.
Any thoughts?
Dollar to a donut that the GN adapter started all this...

Lyle
Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #26

Glad you caught it when you did. You and that welder look to have done a bang up job on the repair.

Lyle
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
#6 is flat-out a crappy weld. That bottom part wasn't even stuck to the frame on the right.

Lyle

Most of the Lippert welds look like they didn't get nearly enough penetration. I'll bet Lippert uses underqualified welders.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Most of the Lippert welds look like they didn't get nearly enough penetration. I'll bet Lippert uses underqualified welders.
X2
IA Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #29

Agreed on all your comments re the crappy welds.
The welder that helped me said he could not understand why none of the bottoms of any of the sections were welded at all.

A couple of the RV Repair guys I initially talked to - that couldn't help me - said that part of the problem was they didn't have "certified" welders for that kind of repair.

After I tore into it and we saw the condition of the original factory welds I thought to myself " Self....why in the @#$! would I be concerned if the welder doing the repair was certified or not? If the welder that did the original work was certified, I'd prefer NOT to have a certified welder!"
Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #30

And now for the continuing saga .......pulled into Dawson Creek yesterday evening. As were lining up for the pull through space I heard a "thump". Wife though it was a nearby RV'er slamming a door. But then I thought, Hmmm... the RV feels a little mushy, but the ground I was going over WAS a little soft on the drivers side. That must have been it.

Checking air pressure in the tires before departing this morning, it looked a like the rear tire driver side was sitting a little lower in relation to the fender skirt than the rest of the tires. Crawled under and sure enough, bust shackle on that side on rear axle!

It's a Sunday, nothing's open, and oh yeah, ANOTHER Canadian National Holiday tomorrow!

Looks relatively easy to repair, and we're not on a schedule really, so we'll just hang out and explore a bit.

Any opinions on whether the broken shackle is a result of the previous pin box/frame weld issue? or just result of wear and tear and time and bad roads?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #31

here are photo's of the broken spring shackle.
triple axle, this is the rearmost driver side spring, front shackle.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1112.jpg   IMG_1113.jpg   IMG_1114.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #32

The shackle just looks like a part failure. If the trailer was riding unlevel because of your previous issue, then that could have place extra stresses on one end of the suspension or the other.

You should be able to get the replacement parts you need at any trailer supply place, or perhaps even a store such at Tractor Supply. You'll need to get a jack stand under the frame and a jack under the axle in order to repair it, and you'll probably need some pretty healthy pry bars in order to get it done.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #33

I found a spring shop about 5 miles away, and am trying to contact them.
I'm tempted to lighten the RV as much as possible and tow it there for repair, as I'd like to get the rest of that suspension inspected while I'm at it.

Had any experience towing something like this with one busted wing?
Or should I at least try to temp repair it in place first? If I can, that is.......
Old 08-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #34

Got all of the shackles (8) replaced yesterday with the help of a local mobile RV repair.
All were worn and a couple more were close to going.
I'm assuming, after talking to a local Spring shop, and your post etex211, that it is just a normal part of wear and tear after 13k miles this summer, some of it on pretty rough roads.
Hoping for no more major breakdowns on our last 1500 miles home.

If anyone is ever in Dawson Creek BC (250-782-1136) and needs suspension help, I can highly recommend United Spring. The owner called me back yesterday (I'd left a VM because they were closed for holiday) and came and looked at my problem, took me down to his shop and opened up and fixed me up with parts.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #35
Site Team

I think your attitude is just AWSOME considering the circumstances you have been dealt the last few days.. most would be screaming mad by now. GO YOU!!!! Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home!!!

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
I think your attitude is just AWSOME considering the circumstances you have been dealt the last few days.. most would be screaming mad by now. GO YOU!!!! Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home!!!
I couldn't agree more with this observation. I know more than a couple folks that would have held a huge garge sale in the CG, sold it all, and just went home.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #37

nah......this was supposed to be an experience and a learning opportunity. Admittedly it was a teensy weensy bit more than I bargained for, but what are you gonna do?

I value the experience and lessons and knowledge gained. It will help us make better decisions on our next unit, and maybe we can help someone else out along the way.

And Hey! (to quote Uncle Si Robertson) we're not home yet! Maybe TOMORROW I'll curl up into a little ball and cry crockodile tears over why life's just not fair!
(or probably not)
:-)

Thanks guys for the kudos'!