Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
txswamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Knotts Island
Posts: 7
Unhappy Help! No hot water!

So, was looking forward to a nice shower this morning....didn't happen. I have an Atwood GC6AA-10E gas/electric water heater. Upon turning on the shower hot water, I got a spritz and then nothing. Checked all my faucets for hot/cold water. All cold water flows, no HW flow at any faucets. I am on shore power. Turned off electric HW for a bit then turned back on w/o results. Checked breaker and it was not tripped. Turned off electric and swapped to LP. Found in LP mode no gas being fed into burner and no ignition spark. Pulled fuse on HW circuit board and it is okay. Did notice this: when in electric mode and no LP I can feel warmth not hot coming from the vent and a quiet buzzing sound coming from the heater. I've since turned off the heater electric and LP. Did a YouTube search and found a video for my specific water heater but it dealt with troubleshooting the LP function which pointed to the heater circuit board. That may be an issue but doesn't explain lack of HW flow. Getting a voltmeter to troubleshoot as discussed in the video. I contacted Jayco and they couldn't come up with an answer. Will contact Dometic in the morning to see what they have to say. In the meantime, we have a nice bathhouse.
txswamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,770
Did you have hot water previously or was this the first use of the heater?
__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
txswamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Knotts Island
Posts: 7
Had hot water w/o problem for the last couple of months. Extended stay so on hotel services.
__________________
Gil & Michelle
Jake the Beagle, Jessie the Coonhound and Summer the Calico.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DSL
2018 Eagle 336FBOK
txswamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 15,780
If you only got a "spritz" of water that sounds like either the shower head or the by-pass valves. If it was the water heater itself you would have had cold water.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by txswamprat View Post
Had hot water w/o problem for the last couple of months. Extended stay so on hotel services.

Hopefully someone has run into this before and can help.



A couple of things to check with the gas. Do you have gas in the tanks? If so did you turn the valves on the tanks only slowly to avoid them going into safety mode.



Do you have an outside shower and could it be turned on slightly?



I doubt that this is the case but the electric heating element will burn out in a second if turned on with no water in the tank.
__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by txswamprat View Post
So, was looking forward to a nice shower this morning....didn't happen. I have an Atwood GC6AA-10E gas/electric water heater. Upon turning on the shower hot water, I got a spritz and then nothing. Checked all my faucets for hot/cold water. All cold water flows, no HW flow at any faucets. I am on shore power. Turned off electric HW for a bit then turned back on w/o results. Checked breaker and it was not tripped. Turned off electric and swapped to LP. Found in LP mode no gas being fed into burner and no ignition spark. Pulled fuse on HW circuit board and it is okay. Did notice this: when in electric mode and no LP I can feel warmth not hot coming from the vent and a quiet buzzing sound coming from the heater. I've since turned off the heater electric and LP. Did a YouTube search and found a video for my specific water heater but it dealt with troubleshooting the LP function which pointed to the heater circuit board. That may be an issue but doesn't explain lack of HW flow. Getting a voltmeter to troubleshoot as discussed in the video. I contacted Jayco and they couldn't come up with an answer. Will contact Dometic in the morning to see what they have to say. In the meantime, we have a nice bathhouse.

Based on the above itís NOT an issue with the water heater but rather an issue with hot water flowing from the hot water heater.
1)Have you checked the drain on the WH does water flow out and is it HOT?

2) Checked valves to ensure they are in the correct position?
__________________
JOHN
People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Based on the above itís NOT an issue with the water heater but rather an issue with hot water flowing from the hot water heater.
1)Have you checked the drain on the WH does water flow out and is it HOT?

2) Checked valves to ensure they are in the correct position?

I did not mention the bypass valves because he said he has hot water for the past several months. So unless they moved themselves that should not be the problem.



#1 is a good test. At least for hot water.
__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 3,196
Could be the notorious plastic check valve on the back of the water heater.
__________________
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2017 Ford F-250 FX4 Crew STX 6.2l
3.73 E-locker
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 22,725
X2 on the check valve on the back hot water outlet.
__________________
Moderator
2011- 351RLTS Eagle, MorRyde suspension/pin box,
2017- F350 6.7 PSD Lariat FX4,SRW, SB,CC
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Longs
Posts: 1,484
X3 on the check valve. Here's a YouTube that might help.

__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
txswamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Knotts Island
Posts: 7
The aha moment! Check valve sounds like a likely problem. I did turn on hot water this morning with the water heater off to see if I had flow again. I did for a few seconds the flow shut off quickly. A second try and no flow. I did open the release valve at the top of the heater to see if I had water in the tank and I do. It was cold since I shut off the electric heater to ensure I didn't cause any damage to the heater. A check valve sounds like the most likely problem given the symptoms. In looking at the WH installation, looks like I'll have to pull it to replace the valve given the WH location. That's something I don't feel comfortable with. Rats!
__________________
Gil & Michelle
Jake the Beagle, Jessie the Coonhound and Summer the Calico.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DSL
2018 Eagle 336FBOK
txswamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:45 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
txswamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Knotts Island
Posts: 7
Well, that was it. The OEM check valve was shot. Replaced with brass one. Accessed heater from behind thru storage after removing a couple of panels. Back online again! Thanks to all for your advice and insight.
__________________
Gil & Michelle
Jake the Beagle, Jessie the Coonhound and Summer the Calico.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DSL
2018 Eagle 336FBOK
txswamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.