Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Help stinky red/ brown liquid coming up through galley floor

I have 1997 jayco fifthwheel. I notice when I run the water i get a discharge that smells like death seeping up through my brand new vinyl flooring. I had a clogged galley fresh weather clog. Fixed that and no visible leaks inside or outside. I suspect there is a leak under the floor from my full time city water hookup. I'm a first time rv'er and a female. I want to try to fix it without ripping out my new floor. Any help or thoughts appreciated. Also it's only in the kitchen and what seems to be on top of the fresh water galley tank. About 4×6. If I tear up the floor and under plywood would I see wher rhe water us coming from? Or could it be from somewhere else settling in that area?? Cant afford a repair man. I am handy but I live in it full time a mb d really cant just tear it up.
Nmcouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Do you have a pressure regulator on the water? Typically when connected to city water, your tanks are out of the equation. Tanks are used when using your pump. You may be able to see something under your RV. Water should flow downhill so at least some of it should be dripping. Stinky could mean moldy.. don't want to mess with that it needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Sorry about your floor

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Is it noticeable when any faucet is on or just the kitchen? I agree with Wags, look for water dripping out underneath and make sure you have a external pressure regulator.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Hey guys. Thanks for the reply. Before I read your reply I actually went out and put my water pressure regulator back on. Years ago the maintenance man here said I didn't need one since they keep the water regulated at around 40 psi. Well no Apparently not. Because no issues since I put it back on. Now I wonder if I still need to tear up the floor since I do believe it was mold. I did buy pure oregano oil and a good steam cleaner. Oregano oil kills mold and keeps it from spreading. I'll attempt this before the laborious task of replacing the floor.
Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmcouture View Post
Hey guys. Thanks for the reply. Before I read your reply I actually went out and put my water pressure regulator back on. Years ago the maintenance man here said I didn't need one since they keep the water regulated at around 40 psi. Well no Apparently not. Because no issues since I put it back on. Now I wonder if I still need to tear up the floor since I do believe it was mold. I did buy pure oregano oil and a good steam cleaner. Oregano oil kills mold and keeps it from spreading. I'll attempt this before the laborious task of replacing the floor.
Thanks again.
IF putting the regulator on and no more issues have arisen, then it seems there was a leak while under higher pressure. I would look at fittings and see if you can determine where it was leaking. That fitting may be weakened and even tho you now are regulating the pressure, it may mean the fitting has been compromised. .. a water leak can cause so much damage, even after it's stopped. Until the wood is totally dried out, it will continue to degrade whatever it comes into contact with.

Good Luck.. glad it's not getting worse.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

Thanks again. I could not find any leaks under or inside. I did get on roof and reseal around top ac unit (which the compressor broke so I framed in a 12,000 BTU window unit it in galley window) my thoughts were perhaps the Florida storms caused the water to perhaps run back towards the kitchen. I do have a rotted wall. Bought it that way before realizing it. Very soft spots that made me think water seeped down the wall by city hook up and then to the floor. But now I'm suspicious of pipes. Man!! Need a man. I guess. Lol. Oh well thank you for all your advice. Regards NMC