Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Here’s more on my brakes.

For those who know my previous “no braking” problem...the story still isn’t over.
No brakes since day one yada yada yada..dealer finally got Lippert to replace everything because of the grease. That was late April of this year.
I tested it that day I picked it up, still nothing. But it seemed to get better after 15 mins.
I took it back after 1/2 hour or so, and said it still sucked....but the driver rear rim was so hot you couldn’t touch it at all. I showed the service guy, we sort of blew it off because I still had no brakes.
Anyways. Since then I started getting brakes..but only after 15 minutes of driving and braking.
This I could deal with, it’s like this everytime I take it out. I would start the controller at 10, and soon be at 7/7.5.
But I always noticed that driver rear rim was really hot.
I finally said something, because I had to bring the rig in for a messed up slide, ugg.
They’ve had the unit for 3 weeks now. Basically want me to pay for new backing plate and rim (completely ruined)
I said F that.
Now they are trying to get Lippert to pay. Lippert says they already “good willed” me new brakes.
Well thanks for good willing me new brakes to replace the ones that never worked.
Now I’ve missed 2 weekend trips (end of the year too) because no one wants to pay for a new brake.
WTH!

Ps. Here’s my therory on why a bunch of us have no braking with grease on the brakes....and maybe why Rock had a rim melted to his drum on his first trip out.

The guy or guys delivering rigs have to pay for maintenance on their own tow rigs. So they are probably using full trailer brakes and not giving a crap. Over heating them and ruining the grease seals....which I have been accused of doing on my drive out of the dealers lot the first day I picked up the new rig.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #2

New brakes require a break in. It's called burnishing. It heats up the lining and cures it. It also makes the lining wear to match the drum. So it's normal to have weak brakes until they are burnished.
Sounds like they over adjusted the one new brake assembly and caused the heat. Or they didn't adjust them and it was too tight and needed backed off.
I'd put that brake assembly and rim on the dealer. They didn't properly adjust it and ruined it and the rim. If it got that hot, I'd want the drum, bearings and seal replaced. The spindle should be inspected for heat damage as well.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Another note, drum brakes get more aggressive as they heat up. So you will definitely feel a difference in braking between cold, warm and hot brakes. But over heated brakes fade. Nature of the beast. They also don't brake for crap after driving through deep water till the water gets out and they warm back up. Drum brakes just suck in general.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Damn Klassic, that stinks! I’ve been lucky with my brake replacement. They seem to be doing ok. I had to go through a break in period too for a little while but my brakes are okay now. Not great but okay. Still think discs are in my future. Maybe they’re in yours too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #5

Earl... I don’t know if your Eagle has the same brake or not but the NorthPoint has FRONTWARDS self adjusting brakes. So they are suppose to self click the wheel when the shoes start to wear and stay in adjustment. Do you know anything about those?
So in theory (my theory) they wouldn’t even have to be adjusted at install, and they should eventually adjust themselves. No?
AND, my thought, if the one “adjusted too tight” was too tight, wouldn’t it soon wear down, be in adjustment, and not over heat.
They said it needs a new backing plate AND drum, I would hope they would put in new seals and bearing. As it was all brand new 500 miles ago.
They never said anything about the spindle. I assume if it was a problem they would have tried to sting me with that too, as they didn’t realize at the time of inspection that these were just put on by them 500miles ago.

Any thoughts on that?

Also, I know they need to be “broken in”, but every time I take it out for the first 15 minutes I have zero trailer brakes.
If some one pulls out in front of me in that time frame....I’m going through them.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Damn Klassic, that stinks! I’ve been lucky with my brake replacement. They seem to be doing ok. I had to go through a break in period too for a little while but my brakes are okay now. Not great but okay. Still think discs are in my future. Maybe they’re in yours too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I’m thinking too.
I don’t think I’m going to have this rig for much longer though.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Earl... I don’t know if your Eagle has the same brake or not but the NorthPoint has FRONTWARDS self adjusting brakes. So they are suppose to self click the wheel when the shoes start to wear and stay in adjustment. Do you know anything about those?
So in theory (my theory) they wouldn’t even have to be adjusted at install, and they should eventually adjust themselves. No?
AND, my thought, if the one “adjusted too tight” was too tight, wouldn’t it soon wear down, be in adjustment, and not over heat.
They said it needs a new backing plate AND drum, I would hope they would put in new seals and bearing. As it was all brand new 500 miles ago.
They never said anything about the spindle. I assume if it was a problem they would have tried to sting me with that too, as they didn’t realize at the time of inspection that these were just put on by them 500miles ago.

Any thoughts on that?

Also, I know they need to be “broken in”, but every time I take it out for the first 15 minutes I have zero trailer brakes.
If some one pulls out in front of me in that time frame....I’m going through them.
Self adjusting brakes need to be adjusted when installed. If too loose, they will not self adjust. All drum brakes are that way. Normally electric brake assemblies come with the adjuster backed all the way off.

You can warm your brakes up for a mile or so with the manual brake lever.

Maybe the shoes hung up and caused the over heating. Them saying it needs a baking plate doesn't give any info. What was their diagnosis of what happen?

Yes in 500 miles a tight brake would wear down. But if it was extremely tight it would of caused damage early on. If it was always hot during that 500 miles I would suspect the shoes where hanging up. But that should of ruined the brake shoes but they are only asking for a backing plate. Or do you mean a brake assembly when you say backing plate.

Earl
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

Klassic & Mopar Earl
Yup delievery smoked mine and melted the rim to the lugs, u know that was hot.
So everything was replaced including rim an tire. Worked good first trip up to NY than in return no good. Rig is up at service center and I told them brakes bad fix them. See what happens.
Here is my theory. My volts and amps r good. Brakes run to hot and do not stop why. Bet two reasons.
1 These self adjusting brakes stink (trying to be forum correct). If the drum is just a little out of round they stay to tight and overheat.

2. Overheated brakes melt cheap junk seals now grease on brakes so no stopping power but they still run hot warping drum more and adjusting tighter and getting hotter. Still bad brakes from being greased.
Here is the cure if you do not have money for disc conversion.

3 Replace brakes with NON SELF ADJUSTING ONES. Turn drums and get Good double lip seals. All the problems here started with self adjusting brakes. In the past the ones who had problems over greased or did it wrong, had junk seals
and never adjusted them. I would much rather jack trailer twice year spin and grease and adjust
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

Klassic, I like your theory. One positive I can say I don't have any brake issues at all. I run my brake controller at 6 and no higher, or the trailer is doing too much of the stopping. I was keeping an eye on them the 1360 miles miles home after reading all the prior posts here. The rims were warm at times but didn't notice any overheating. Checked all drums and no evidence of leakage of any kind after arriving home. I stopped in NC overnight and all looked good. I did have two tires (rainer, had to see for myself) with sidewall bubbling in the morning after arriving though. So I guess 1 out of 2 problems ain't bad.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Klassic
They r doing my outriggers and pulling slide to replace bent roller. Also engineering is looking into why I have a tire rubbing on my slide. First one they got in to look at but was told they were discussing a possible recall because others r reporting same problem. Two others here with the FBTS also have a rub but most do not. Plenty of clearance on right side. Bet axle spring mount holders are welded incorrect on some axles moving them to the left. Everything else is straight.
Rock
Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #11

Earl, yes..I mean the whole assembly
Perhaps it’s like you said, and the shoes where hung up and that’s why my dealer wants Lippert to pay.
It will probably come down to me paying, because I want the trailer back.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #12

You’re probably right Rock.
My simple brakes on my 2006 enclosed work trailer have had 2 brakes replaced once and I have THOUSANDS miles on it.
Just passed another safety a couple weeks ago.
I know the trailer isn’t 14000lbs but the brakes are simple and they have always worked.
I’ve never adjusted them.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Pa1

Wow, interestimg topic. I took my trailer to the dealer yesterday, recieved a call today. All four brakes are covered in grease. Jayco denied warranty but Lippert is covering it. Four new complete backing plates. Hope the dealer does a better job. 10,000 lbs with no brakes is not good.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa1 View Post
Wow, interestimg topic. I took my trailer to the dealer yesterday, recieved a call today. All four brakes are covered in grease. Jayco denied warranty but Lippert is covering it. Four new complete backing plates. Hope the dealer does a better job. 10,000 lbs with no brakes is not good.
Same as a lot of us here Pa
Insist on the whole assembly with the drums. The grease isn’t coming off the drums now. And make sure they use a quality seal.
There wasn’t even a question about not getting new drums for me or Tom. It’s all contaminated.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
Pa1

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like another phone call in the morning.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #16

Brakes

I had problems on my 28.5 RSTS 2015.
After a few thousand miles , one wheel locked up when braking. Tried to adjust
the automatic adjuster , it was frozen and I had to take entire brake plate off and hammer drum off.
Long story short: replaced all brakes with MANUAL adjusters , repacked wheel bearings and replaced seals.
Recently finished a 3000 mile trip and will adjust brakes in another 2000 miles.
I HATE AUTOMATIC ADJUSTERS !!!
I am a long time RV'er and I know how to do axle maintenance, others may not.
Purchased rig in another state and dealer was too far away to return for warranty work. Did not trust the clowns at nearest (30 miles) Jayco dealer , so I did work myself.
Sometimes simpler is better.
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #17

Klassic that does not make sense that your brakes are doing that again.

Remember how I had NO brakes when I got refrigerator replaced and also ask them to check brakes for grease?? They pulled all 4 drums and assembly's off and repacked bearings and installed
New seals and adjusted brakes.

I went back next afternoon and hooked up and sure enough I still had NO brakes. They told me they wanted to check my truck, for only $175.00 the day before.
It was late in the afternoon when I went to pick up trailer and I didn't want to drive 100 miles home again, so I left with trailer.
I was very pissed because like klassic I have other trailers and brakes work great on them.

It wasn't until I traded my old truck in on this truck that I actually have brakes that work!! I do not no what was wrong with my old truck, but seems in my case it was the truck.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
DAD

When I got my trailer the brakes worked fine. after some period of time I noticed braking had gone away. When I jacked it up I found two wheels had the auto adjuster assembly rolling around inside the drum. One wheel the adjuster was jammed behind the secondary shoe, causing the brake to hang up, overheating drum and taking away a noticeable amount of brake lining. I was traveling (as usual) and was able to put everything back together to continue. The reason the brake adjusters fell apart was because the guide for the auto adjust cable was in the wrong hole in the shoe, causing cable to be too long and the adjuster lever was not in contact with the star wheel on adjuster allowing vibration to unadjust the brake and then adjuster fell out into drum. I could not make the cables, even after moving guide to correct hole, contact adjusters reliably and adjusters fell out twice more. I could tell brakes were weaker once again. I installed four manual adjusters no problem since. In reference to tire rub, my trailer leaned to the left and the tires rubbed under the floor, not the slide. My trailer measured an inch and a half lower on left. These trailers use a rubber spring equalizer. there is a procedure to measure sag in it. mine had one and a half inches. The spring rubber is available in different spring rates we have spring rate 20 I installed spring rate 24 because I believe the left side is heavier than right side. I then installed F rated tires that are 1/2 inch taller put tape over wear in water barrier due to tire rub, and drove 1550 miles to Middlebury. Trailer level, no rubbing on new tape. David at Jayco service was interested in my story and has the old spring rubber. I had to do spring rubber myself before coming on this trip because I was worried about the rubbing. 2015 Pinnacle FBTS I have around 35000 miles on it.
DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #19

Mine is rubbing the side of the tire. It has worn thru the metal and into the wood on inside of slide.
So you agree with what I said about this self adjusting garbage. I have never seen a drum that would stay in round in my lifetime. Just a little out and the brakes will stay over adjusted and heat leaking grease. I asked the dealer to replace with non self adjusting and they would not. Had to use the replacements sent under warranty. Now back to same problem.
Rock
Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #20

Just got my 5er back yesterday from dealer service for grease seal leakage affecting brakes. Must say I was pleased with results. Dealer did not see need to replace shoes. They replaced seals and cleaned and "burnished" shoes. I am now able to stop much better. In fact, I had to turn Ram ITBC gain down to 8. Kudos to Lenn at Crestview Buda.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote