Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Hi def observation camera for 377?

Currently using an older vintage Furrion observation camera, dinky little 4 or 5” screen, maybe 640 resolution. Only positive is that its wireless connection is solid, never drops out even at speed, no repeater needed.

Can anyone recommend a hi-def system that doesn’t need lots of help with the signal on a long rig like a 377?

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #2

I have been wanting a rear observation camera so I'm going to comment so I can follow this post. Waiting like the OP and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Camping.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

So I’ve decided that I’m just going to do the latest Furrion kit, with the 7” monitor and side view cameras. Since I haven’t had any connection issues with my Furrion, why mess with success? I keep reading of the need to install repeaters with other brands.

I’m in Florida for only a few more days, if I could have gotten this kit before we left to head back north, I’d have ordered it up already:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08M9...UOH6EBGV&psc=1
Old 12-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #4

Rare to find anyone happy with Furrion anything, especially their cameras.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

Well, then all those positive reviews on Amazon must be fake.

As well as my positive experience with the current one I have. Must be fake news.

As if all the other brands out there are anything but the same Chinese hardware relabeled by hundreds of different sellers,...
Old 12-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Well, then all those positive reviews on Amazon must be fake.

As well as my positive experience with the current one I have. Must be fake news.

Guess you didn't see the bad reviews on Amazon. Or look on here or youtube or other forums. Good luck.

Earl
Old 12-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Guess you didn't see the bad reviews on Amazon. Or look on here or youtube or other forums. Good luck.

Earl
My knowledge of all the brands is from reading the reviews and watching YouTube videos. I laugh when big youtubers get free product from Haloview and fall all over themselves trying to put a positive spin on the product even though it won’t stay connected on their 40’ 5th wheel, because the seller sent them out a free repeater.

At least I have direct experience with Furrion cameras. It’s been positive for 3 years and 15k miles of trailering. How about you?
Old 12-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
My knowledge of all the brands is from reading the reviews and watching YouTube videos. I laugh when big youtubers get free product from Haloview and fall all over themselves trying to put a positive spin on the product even though it won’t stay connected on their 40’ 5th wheel, because the seller sent them out a free repeater.

At least I have direct experience with Furrion cameras. It’s been positive for 3 years and 15k miles of trailering. How about you?
Yep, got one on by Eagle. I'd love to burn it. Plan to replace it with Haloview. My factory Voyager system was worthless too. I fell for the Furrion system and it was worse then the Voyager.

Love how people post for advice but don't want to hear it calling it fake news with an eye roll. Makes no sense to me. Why did you even post it? Guess to get attention? Good luck.

Earl
Old 12-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Yep, got one on by Eagle. I'd love to burn it. Plan to replace it with Haloview. My factory Voyager system was worthless too. I fell for the Furrion system and it was worse then the Voyager.

Love how people post for advice but don't want to hear it calling it fake news with an eye roll. Makes no sense to me. Why did you even post it? Guess to get attention? Good luck.

Earl
Earl, if no one to date has told you directly, let me be the first to do so: you don’t dispense advice, you dispense negativity.

Whenever I see a response with your username, I can count on it being a put down to someone, always coming off as superior.

Tell me how your original response to my post here was “advice”:

“Rare to find anyone happy with Furrion anything, especially their cameras. “

Helpful advice would have been: while there are a lot of happy users of Furrion, I’d suggest looking at the following products: X, Y, Z.

Positivity: try it sometime. Must be exhausting being such a consistent curmudgeon.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Earl, if no one to date has told you directly, let me be the first to do so: you don’t dispense advice, you dispense negativity.

Whenever I see a response with your username, I can count on it being a put down to someone, always coming off as superior.

Tell me how your original response to my post here was “advice”:

“Rare to find anyone happy with Furrion anything, especially their cameras. “

Helpful advice would have been: while there are a lot of happy users of Furrion, I’d suggest looking at the following products: X, Y, Z.

Positivity: try it sometime. Must be exhausting being such a consistent curmudgeon.

Merry Christmas.
I'm good, thanks! I'll keep on keeping on. Lol

You're welcome to block me if you wish, then you won't see my username with all my negativity.

Good luck with your Furrion purchase.

Earl
Old 12-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #11

Umm, it’s 14 degrees with 8” of snow on the ground and windy. Why would you want to leave Florida and head back north???
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
Umm, it’s 14 degrees with 8” of snow on the ground and windy. Why would you want to leave Florida and head back north???
Well, nobody said I “wanted” to head back north.

This was a Christmas break trip, have to get back for work and the kid’s school.

I figure we have about 5-6 more years before we can avoid the snow altogether.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #13

I understand-been through all that. It is nice to replace the cloudy and cold with sunshine and warmth.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

Todd

I’ll give you my experience with the Furrion camera system.

I’ve had the 3 camera system for a year or so. (Maybe longer). I’ve not had any issues with the connection dropping, however there is some lag time. The cameras give a good view of the surrounding area and I have mine wired hot all the time so I can use it as a security system with the monitor inside the trailer. I’ve been mostly happy with it.

The negative: the side cameras cannot be adjusted to move the point of vision. The plastic mounts are kinda flimsy so if you try to torque down one side to adjust the aim, the plastic will crack.
My rear camera is now inoperable because moisture got into the connection between the light and the camera. Furrion doesn’t sell just the camera with the red marker so I’ve got to make a decision on what to replace it with. I can use the shark fin but I’ve drilled holes around the center light for the existing camera so I’ll have to fill/patch those if I go that route.
Also, you cannot configure the screen layout for the cameras. Additionally, I’m not sure if it’s still this way, but the early versions allowed you view all the cameras at once all the time. (This increases the lag time). Newer versions allow this for 5-10 seconds then revert back to the last camera selected. This “feature” reduces the effectiveness of the security system and unless you wire the turn signals to trigger the side cameras, it reduces the overall usefulness of the system as a whole because you have to switch camera views on the screen anytime you want to see another view.

Truthfully the best system I had was on my previous truck which was a wired system that I rigged up to be viewed on my trucks infotainment screen. It wasn’t a multi camera setup but I could watch the rear of the rig whenever I wanted while driving by flipping an up fitter switch and it came on automatically when in reverse. No lag and great picture quality. If you could get the Ford camera to work without all of fords “safety” features, that would be awesome.

Good luck with whatever you get

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #15

I was considering the Furrion unit for our new 5th wheel until I saw the new Vision Works. Clarity was much better and no lag. They even make a kit to use your existing factory radio/Nav screen. Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.visionworkscameras.com/rv-home
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1751 View Post
I was considering the Furrion unit for our new 5th wheel until I saw the new Vision Works. Clarity was much better and no lag. They even make a kit to use your existing factory radio/Nav screen. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I will add that to my research list. I spent months researching Haloview Range Dominator. Currently it's on my shopping list but will look into the one you mentioned.

Earl
Old 12-29-2020, 06:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Todd

I’ll give you my experience with the Furrion camera system.

I’ve had the 3 camera system for a year or so. (Maybe longer). I’ve not had any issues with the connection dropping, however there is some lag time. The cameras give a good view of the surrounding area and I have mine wired hot all the time so I can use it as a security system with the monitor inside the trailer. I’ve been mostly happy with it.

The negative: the side cameras cannot be adjusted to move the point of vision. The plastic mounts are kinda flimsy so if you try to torque down one side to adjust the aim, the plastic will crack.
My rear camera is now inoperable because moisture got into the connection between the light and the camera. Furrion doesn’t sell just the camera with the red marker so I’ve got to make a decision on what to replace it with. I can use the shark fin but I’ve drilled holes around the center light for the existing camera so I’ll have to fill/patch those if I go that route.
Also, you cannot configure the screen layout for the cameras. Additionally, I’m not sure if it’s still this way, but the early versions allowed you view all the cameras at once all the time. (This increases the lag time). Newer versions allow this for 5-10 seconds then revert back to the last camera selected. This “feature” reduces the effectiveness of the security system and unless you wire the turn signals to trigger the side cameras, it reduces the overall usefulness of the system as a whole because you have to switch camera views on the screen anytime you want to see another view.

Truthfully the best system I had was on my previous truck which was a wired system that I rigged up to be viewed on my trucks infotainment screen. It wasn’t a multi camera setup but I could watch the rear of the rig whenever I wanted while driving by flipping an up fitter switch and it came on automatically when in reverse. No lag and great picture quality. If you could get the Ford camera to work without all of fords “safety” features, that would be awesome.

Good luck with whatever you get
Thanks for the insight, Tom. Sounds like a few downsides, for sure. It does seem that the camera configuration default was addressed in early 2020, and now does not default to all 4 views.

The main reason I’m still leaning towards the Furrion is its signal stability without having to use a repeater. I just don’t want to deal with running a wire up and over the rear wall of the camper and then fastening down the wire run on the roof.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1751 View Post

Unless I’m missing it, I don’t see that they offer side view cameras? That’s a feature I’d really like to add, the wife gets uncomfortable having the responsibility of guiding my blind side when backing up in a tight spot.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Unless I’m missing it, I don’t see that they offer side view cameras? That’s a feature I’d really like to add, the wife gets uncomfortable having the responsibility of guiding my blind side when backing up in a tight spot.
From what I was told the system will handle 4 cameras and they are in the process on making units for the side but I have not confirmed this with Visonworks. I plan to contact them after the holidays about the factory add on system as I want to see if it will allow you to keep the camera view on constantly as my factory backup cameras only stay on for a minute when manually viewed while not in reverse.
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote