Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #41

I've been using an older built 22K Reese hitch for longer then I can remember. The hitch is built like a tank which I attribute to being and older hitch. Mine comes apart in 3 pieces to make removal and installation easier if needed. If I ever had to buy a different hitch, I would go with the B&W.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan View Post
The only disadvantage to the B&W is that you have to have a stool to stand on to reach the locking lever on the hitch, and to insert/remove the locking pin. Otherwise, it is a very well built hitch and we are very happy with it.
Even tougher to reach if you have a dually! Bought a step that fits over the rear tire that solved the problem. Love the B&W.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Adjust...s%2C209&sr=1-8
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #43

We have a 36FBTS and pull with a 2017 Silverado 3500, DWR and have a Curt 20 hitch. Great hitch, gives us 6” rail clearance and the whole combination sits very level.
Bowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoles View Post
We are new to the 5th wheel and Jayco world having recently made the decision to upgrade our Grand Design Imagine 2800BH travel trailer to a Jayco Pinnacle 37MDQS. I have been stalking this forum and have enjoyed all the opinions and insight. We are scheduled to take delivery of our new trailer in a week or so and need to decide on a hitch. The dealer has a Pullrite ISR rated for 20K lbs which they would install on our Ford F350 long bed with the Husky rail adapters. I am trying to educate myself and have found a B&W Companion Hitch which seems to be able to be mounted without the adapters with the factory-installed 5th -wheel prep package that we have from Ford. Both hitches seem to have excellent reviews. Is there a significant advantage in going with the B&W Companion Hitch without the adapters that would outweigh the convenience of going with the Pullrite in stock at the dealer?
I have a demco, it heavy duty, and built, and works like a fifth wheel hitch on a tractor
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #45

We haul a 29.5 Jayco 5th wheel, we use a Anderson hutch, which the salesman recommended rather than the other big ones. We live in North Dakota, where ther is lots of wind. It’s been awesome in the winds to where you don’t notice them. Easy hook up to the 5er, wnd easy install on to our truck bed utilizing the tow features of the truck.
JKnox8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #46
tec

I have the B&W hitch for the F350 puck system, it’s easy to install and easy to remove, no rails in the bed. B&W does have a height ajuustment , and they are really well made. I am also new to the 5 th wheel game , and have only towed a couple hundred miles so far, but am impressed with what I got. I pull a Jayco Eagle 40’ fifth wheel.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #47

We went the opposite got a GD Reflection 29RS 5r, not a problem in 2 1/2 years. Pull with 2011 F150 LB ECOBOOST, HDT 11,200 and HD Payload 2,393 works for us. Before we bought we called GD if there was going to be any upgrades, sure enough they were going to put in farmers sinks, we waited 4 weeks to get the farmers sink. At least every time we've called a person answered our questions or got someone who could.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #48

How does the Anderson hitch work with short bed trucks?
OCBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #49

I also have a B&W slider in a short bed 2012 Ford King Ranch and the hitch slides easily.... a long bed means you actually have room for something else back there in addition to the fifth wheel hitch. I think I would opt for the B&W slider and a long bed if I had it to do over.....
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #50

I went with the Anderson Hitch

I am 6 months into owning my Pinnacle. My salesperson suggested the Anderson Hitch and I am very happy I went with it. I towing with a F350 4x4 long bed and have had no issues with clearance or turning. I reccomend it.
Pinnacle37rlws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #51

5th Wheel Hitch

As has been said before in this post, you don't need a slider hitch with a long box.
Upon purchase of my 2018 GMC Denali DRW DM/Allison 1 ton, I had a BW Companion hitch installed and really like it. It is quite easy to get in and out. I installed a 1 ton chain hoist in the garage to get it in and out and it works great. I am 79 and don't have the strength to lift it in and out so the chain hoist was a good move for me. I leave it hanging in the garage until needed and just drop it down. It has the single point attachment with ball. I pull a 38FLSA Pinnacle with it and have around 5" clearance on the box.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #52

Chain Hoist! Great Idea that I just read your note about. Thank you. I'm going to the internet and learn more.
Gary
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Even tougher to reach if you have a dually! Bought a step that fits over the rear tire that solved the problem. Love the B&W.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Adjust...s%2C209&sr=1-8
This is one of the advantages of having a husband who is 6'7". His height was also one of the major reasons we went with the Pinnacle. It was one of the few units he could actually stand up in in the bedroom and bathroom.
tjwoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #54

Go onto Facebook and join the Jayco Pinnacle RV Club. You’ll probably get as many opinions as there are members concerning your questions. Personally, I use theB&W with the puck system and am very satisfied.
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #55

I've got the Anderson hitch and just pulled a 6000lb trailer, 2000 miles from WI to OR, using a diesel Colorado (relatively light truck). I needed lightweight, which the Anderson is known for. No swaying, no issues towing, and you can back up with it.

Problem which is oft-mentioned is attaching the chains when you're at an angle-- it doesn't like that. You need to get as straight-on as possible when attaching/unhooking. I've only had one frustrating issue here but I eventually got it.

While optional, I strongly advise you drill the holes in the tongue for the securing bolts. There's a lot of force being placed on those brackets and I can't imagine they'd NOT shift forward without the securing bolts, no matter how tight you think you have it screwed down.
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #56

Hitch Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBray View Post
How does the Anderson hitch work with short bed trucks?

Use the Anderson with my 2014 Ram short bed. I have no turning/ backing constraints. 7000 plus miles on our set up. It’s been great. An earlier poster discussed needing to be nearly straight on when hooking up. I don’t understand that issue at all. I have no issues hooking or unhooking with chains at an angle. I mean think about it, you’re lowering over a round sphere. Why do you need to be straight?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleheader View Post
Use the Anderson with my 2014 Ram short bed. I have no turning/ backing constraints. 7000 plus miles on our set up. It’s been great. An earlier poster discussed needing to be nearly straight on when hooking up. I don’t understand that issue at all. I have no issues hooking or unhooking with chains at an angle. I mean think about it, you’re lowering over a round sphere. Why do you need to be straight?
What do you tow?
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #58

A 2018 Eagle 5’er, model 293RKDS.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #59

I have the pullrite 18k slider because I have a 2014 F350 SRW short bed and felt like I needed it. The hitch is extremely heavy and difficult to remove. I had to purchase an engine hoist to take it out. The hitch is also VERY finicky about connecting. I have to be near perfect in backing into it or it won’t engage. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but after speaking with an RV dealer service manager he confirmed that these are just difficult hitches to connect. Save yourself the trouble and go with a lighter weight non-sliding hitch. I will next time.
Tierneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #60

5th wheel hitch

We have the 37MDQS and tow with a Ford F-350 SRW , 6.7 diesel long bed with club cab and have the puck system in the truck. We use the Reese Elite Series Pre-Assembled 18K 5th Wheel Hitch. We have never had a problem with the hitch. it's worked well for us
RickM1022 is offline   Reply With Quote