Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Hitch Height Eagle 23.5RBS

We are considering purchasing a 2014 Eagle 23.5RBS fifth wheel. (We have only seen it on the internet, but it looks like a great small fifth wheel, and based on our experiences with two previous Jayco TTs we have confidence in the Jayco brand). We also have a bigger fifth wheel which we will be keeping. The hitch height of the top of the hitch in the truck is currently set at 52" above ground level. The truck has a very firm suspension and will depress little with the pin weight of the 23.5RBS. Is there an adjustment mechanism on the hitch of the 23.5RBS in order to allow the top of the pin (bottom of the pin plate) to ride at 52"??? If so, I could pull either fifth wheel level without adjusting the hitch itself. Many thanks to anyone with this answer.
South Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

I won't be much help with measurements. All I can say is that we have big 20" tires on a Ram 4X4 and the truck sits high. There are adjustments on the hitch but they are maxed out in our case. The 5th wheel sat perfectly level until we added Timbrens. We have close to 6" between the 5th wheel and the bed rails. Our hitch is the Superglide and I don't know how high it is.
the 23.5 HT is great! light weight, easy to tow, comfortable.
Not sure if this is of any help.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

Thanks Boubou for your reply. Based own what you said I will try to find an Eagle 23.5 and measure the max height of the hitch when the trailer is sitting level. Better still, connect it to the truck to be absolutely sure of the height before we negotiate the deal. Philip
South Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #4

This is such a common problem, there are kits to flip the axles. There are also shackle lifts for when the flip isn't enough. Just work those items into the deal if needed. You could use them as incentives for the sales person. eg, "If you throw in the axle flip and installation, you got yourself a deal."
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

Measure carefully SP. It can be difficult to tow your trailer level and maintain sufficient clearance to your truck box (worse with rails) with some of the 3/4 trucks sporting big wheels. Adjusting your hitch and or plate to obtain sufficient box clearance may present other problems like uneven weight on your suspension and rubber. Flipping your suspension means a higher center of gravity and step. Been there.
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote