Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

Hitch Help

We just got back from a 12 day 3600 mile round trip from CT to FL with our whitehawk 28dsbh. (We did the driving in 4) We love the trailer and it towed great but it is just a little to small. I think sometime this winter we will be trying to up grade to 5th wheel. We really like the ht 29.5 bhok and 29.5 bhds.
I know nothing about 5th wheels and hitches I was hoping I could get some information. I know there is 2 types of hitches sliding and fixed. I have a chevy 2500 crew cab short bed. In the options for the ht trailers there is the Reese Revolution 90 pin box and MOR/ride rubber Pin Box. What are the pros and cons for both and what hitch would i use fixed or sliding?
Is there anything else I would need to worry about with upgrading? Any information would help. TIA
whjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjake View Post
We just got back from a 12 day 3600 mile round trip from CT to FL with our whitehawk 28dsbh. (We did the driving in 4) We love the trailer and it towed great but it is just a little to small. I think sometime this winter we will be trying to up grade to 5th wheel. We really like the ht 29.5 bhok and 29.5 bhds.
I know nothing about 5th wheels and hitches I was hoping I could get some information. I know there is 2 types of hitches sliding and fixed. I have a chevy 2500 crew cab short bed. In the options for the ht trailers there is the Reese Revolution 90 pin box and MOR/ride rubber Pin Box. What are the pros and cons for both and what hitch would i use fixed or sliding?
Is there anything else I would need to worry about with upgrading? Any information would help. TIA
The main thing you want to check is the sticker on your drivers side door. It will tell you your truck's payload. Depending on options on your truck, you will typically have a payload between 2000 - 3000lbs. Compare that with the 5vr's loaded weight and assume 20-25% of that weight will be on the truck.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

For a short bed truck I would prefer a slider. It will offer greater maneuverability when backing in tight turns.
Timbrens
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

The revolution is a sidewinder type hitch that puts the pivot point back under the nose cap. It works great with a short bed from what I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
whjake, we did the same thing going from a TT to a FW and love the FW. Check my sig for our rig. To answer your question regarding the hitch ... My FW has the MORryde pin box which is suppose to give a smoother ride than traditional pin boxes but does not replace a slider for your hitch. The Revolution pin box is suppose allow use without a slider hitch. We have been camping 4 times since our purchase in June and I have not had to engage my slider at any of the campsites. However, your it is suggested to have a slider for your short bed truck and I believe the Revolution would work just fine.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

I have been using a Pullrite super glide for 11 years. My new Jayco has the Moreryde pin box. They seem you play well together. I notice the ride is better than my old fifth without.

I like the automatic slider. I would most definitely take my eye off the ball and smash my cab or back window without it. Although we tend to end up in some pretty tight or awkward sites due to our lack of planning. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
tld

I use a Reese Sidewinder which is the same as the Reese Revolution (puts the pivot point back under the nose cap). Pros: You get an over 90 degree turning radius without any worry of hitting the back of your cab with the trailer front, making it great for shorter bed trucks. It also allows for more cargo space in the bed of your truck because nothing on the pin box or hitch move. You never have to get out and engage the slider, and many sliders will start to bind up and become difficult as they age. Cons: The only con is that when you hookup, your truck must be pretty close to same angle as when you unhooked. I have really liked my Sidewinder.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
We also have the Revolution pin and a Reese Titan Hitch, works great ! We pull our 2017 27.5RLTS with our 2017 2500 HD gas. If your 2500 is a diesel and 4x4 you will probably exceed your payload rating.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

Have pulled FW's for 7 years using the Pull-Rite auto slider, 18K version.
Love it. Very easy to hook-up and disconnect. With the Pull-Rite hitches you need to be within 14 degrees which isn't difficult.

Haven't used any other type of FW hitch on a short bed. Lots of people don't like the fact that this hitch is heavy and removing it can pose problems. To make it easy for me to remove I purchased a 1 ton engine hoist from Harbor Freight $89. The hoist is on wheels and it actually takes me less than 5 minutes to completely remove it. Installation takes about 10 minutes cause I'm old and slow.

Love the fact that the locking collar is fully automatic and is automatically engaged when you back in to the hitch. Actually watched a FW fall out of a more traditional hitch as the folks were leaving, went over a speed bump and the FW came right out, must not have had it locked.

In order to unlock the Pull-Rite to have to physically lift the handle and then pull.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #10

I have been pulling fw's for 20 years and do not have a slider and have had no problems backing in to a spot. If you can find someone with and without and see what you like.The sliders are more money.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #11

Hello, to start off with what type of hitch. U-tube the best 5th Wheel Hitch. This will help you in your decision. I a Pullrite 16K slider and love it. I used to have a 12K but had to upgrade to a 16K because we bought a new and bigger 5er. If you have any other questions please feel free to give me a call.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #12

I have a mor-ryde pin box on the 28.5 Jayco Ht 5th wheel and a Husky Hitch. The Husky is wonderful for it has a secure locking system. The system pulls very smoothly, hitches and unhitches easily. Of course I have a 2016 F-250 crew cab log box, so I had no need for a slider. I was going to get a Demco slider on my previous truck, a 2015
F150 gaser with the short box, but no need for that now. Very satisfied with my set up.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote