Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Hitch mount bike rack for 5th wheel

I have been looking for a new bike rack, had a Yakima Long Haul that was supposedly created for RV's last year, but it didn't last our first big trip before the arms were bending. I have decided that I want a platform style rack, it seems like there won't be as much stress on this style of rack. The problem is, I have only found 1 platform style rack for 4 bikes that is RV rated. It is this, Pro Series - 4 Bike Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount not sure that I like that it is 2 pcs though. Got a new catalog from Camping World yesterday and they show a new bike rack from Stromberg Carlson, it is this
Adjustable Four Bike Carrier - Stromberg Carlson BC-204 - Racks & Carriers - Camping World I'm leaning towards the Stromberg Carlson bike rack, but I can't find any reviews online because it is so new. Does any have experience with other Stromberg Carlson products? Are they any good?

oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

I am using the following Hollywood Bike Rack which is technically not RV rated. It is built like a rock and heavy but it's solid and the bikes barely move around in tow. The bike rack can be detached in 2 pieces which allows you to mount 2 bikes if you choose which helps with the weight. It's a little spendy, but I also had a Yakima rack and it blows it out of the water. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Rac.../dp/B000QJC4AY

2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #3

Hitch mount bike rack for 5th wheel

I have been using a Swagman Trailhead 4 RV bike rack, which is RV rated, for 2 years now and it has been great. Nothing has bent or anything. I have zero worries that our bikes wonít still be back there when we get to our destinations. I always have 3 bikes on it as well (itíll hold 4 but we donít have 4 bikes).

https://www.swagman.net/product/trailhead4-rv/
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I have been using a Swagman Trailhead 4 RV bike rack, which is RV rated, for 2 years now and it has been great. Nothing has bent or anything. I have zero worries that our bikes wonít still be back there when we get to our destinations. I always have 3 bikes on it as well (itíll hold 4 but we donít have 4 bikes).

https://www.swagman.net/product/trailhead4-rv/

Iíve had the same for about 18 months now. I use it to haul 4 bikes. So far itís holding up great. Theyíve made it to FL and back several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

X3 on Swagman, beefy unit. The threaded pin really eliminates bounce, too. I’m watching it on my observation camera with 3 bikes and it never bounces independently of the coach.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

Another vote here for the swagman rack. I installed a hitch on my 287 and the bike rack has held up great with 3 bikeson it.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

I went with Swagman per others suggestions here. Have lots of miles on my mine now. Usually two bikes mounted. It's solid. No issues.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #8

Check out the Aluminum Storage Rack/Bike Rack on Amazon. That's what we bought and it's great for Bikes (up to 4) because bike rides are on the platform, not hanging.

Tow Turf TTF -2762ACBR 2-in-1 Aluminum Cargo Carrier with Bike Rack
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

My wife and I have our mtb's on a Yakima rack that holds the wheels in a tray. We've been happy with this cover too (see below). It's a bit of a pain to put it on, and we mainly use it when we think we won't be riding for a few days, but it's well-made, thick/durable, and fits over the bikes well, and its straps keep it snug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I had this narrowed down to 2 racks, now I have at least 6 to consider. I don't need to purchase for another month or so, hopefully some reviews will show up for the Stromberg Carlson.

oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote