Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Hitch mount bike rack for 5th wheel

I have been looking for a new bike rack, had a Yakima Long Haul that was supposedly created for RV's last year, but it didn't last our first big trip before the arms were bending. I have decided that I want a platform style rack, it seems like there won't be as much stress on this style of rack. The problem is, I have only found 1 platform style rack for 4 bikes that is RV rated. It is this, Pro Series - 4 Bike Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount not sure that I like that it is 2 pcs though. Got a new catalog from Camping World yesterday and they show a new bike rack from Stromberg Carlson, it is this
Adjustable Four Bike Carrier - Stromberg Carlson BC-204 - Racks & Carriers - Camping World I'm leaning towards the Stromberg Carlson bike rack, but I can't find any reviews online because it is so new. Does any have experience with other Stromberg Carlson products? Are they any good?
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

I am using the following Hollywood Bike Rack which is technically not RV rated. It is built like a rock and heavy but it's solid and the bikes barely move around in tow. The bike rack can be detached in 2 pieces which allows you to mount 2 bikes if you choose which helps with the weight. It's a little spendy, but I also had a Yakima rack and it blows it out of the water. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Rac.../dp/B000QJC4AY
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #3

I have been using a Swagman Trailhead 4 RV bike rack, which is RV rated, for 2 years now and it has been great. Nothing has bent or anything. I have zero worries that our bikes won’t still be back there when we get to our destinations. I always have 3 bikes on it as well (it’ll hold 4 but we don’t have 4 bikes).

https://www.swagman.net/product/trailhead4-rv/
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I have been using a Swagman Trailhead 4 RV bike rack, which is RV rated, for 2 years now and it has been great. Nothing has bent or anything. I have zero worries that our bikes won’t still be back there when we get to our destinations. I always have 3 bikes on it as well (it’ll hold 4 but we don’t have 4 bikes).

https://www.swagman.net/product/trailhead4-rv/

I’ve had the same for about 18 months now. I use it to haul 4 bikes. So far it’s holding up great. They’ve made it to FL and back several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

X3 on Swagman, beefy unit. The threaded pin really eliminates bounce, too. I’m watching it on my observation camera with 3 bikes and it never bounces independently of the coach.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

Another vote here for the swagman rack. I installed a hitch on my 287 and the bike rack has held up great with 3 bikeson it.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

I went with Swagman per others suggestions here. Have lots of miles on my mine now. Usually two bikes mounted. It's solid. No issues.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #8

Check out the Aluminum Storage Rack/Bike Rack on Amazon. That's what we bought and it's great for Bikes (up to 4) because bike rides are on the platform, not hanging.

Tow Turf TTF -2762ACBR 2-in-1 Aluminum Cargo Carrier with Bike Rack
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

My wife and I have our mtb's on a Yakima rack that holds the wheels in a tray. We've been happy with this cover too (see below). It's a bit of a pain to put it on, and we mainly use it when we think we won't be riding for a few days, but it's well-made, thick/durable, and fits over the bikes well, and its straps keep it snug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I had this narrowed down to 2 racks, now I have at least 6 to consider. I don't need to purchase for another month or so, hopefully some reviews will show up for the Stromberg Carlson.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

What does it mean for a bike rack to be "RV approved"? Any very good rack like a Yakima or Thule are as strong, or stronger than any other rack.

It looks like the Swagman racks clamp down on the top tube of the bike. I don't like this because it can/will cause chafing of the paint and there's no cushion in this, to hold the bike tight. I prefer racks that clamp down on the bikes tires because that clamp will compress the tires somewhat and provide a very secure hold without (possible) damage to the bike frame. Otherwise, a clamp around the seatpost is also good.

FWIW, as a bike racer for 30+ years I've traveled a lot of miles with racks carrying high-quality bikes.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
What does it mean for a bike rack to be "RV approved"? Any very good rack like a Yakima or Thule are as strong, or stronger than any other rack.

It looks like the Swagman racks clamp down on the top tube of the bike. I don't like this because it can/will cause chafing of the paint and there's no cushion in this, to hold the bike tight.

Not true. My swagman rack has rubber the bike frame rests on and then rubber straps to provide tension. No chafing and there is cushion and the bikes are held tight. That’s fine if you like racks that hold the bike by the tire but the fact is that my swagman hold by the frame perfectly.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Not true. My swagman rack has rubber the bike frame rests on and then rubber straps to provide tension. No chafing and there is cushion and the bikes are held tight. That’s fine if you like racks that hold the bike by the tire but the fact is that my swagman hold by the frame perfectly.
Many good bikes have cables that run along under the top tube, so when the bike is resting on those kind of mounts the wires rub against the frame. Both of our mtb's and one of our road bikes are like this. I don't want my frame touching the rack anywhere because of chafing. These are reasons the best racks don't touch the frame with a clamp or strap. They only touch the tires and/or the seatpost, or clamp onto the front fork (with the wheel removed). But, they cost twice as much.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #14

2 of the 3 bikes I have carried on the Swagman rack for two years are Trek mountain bikes with exposed cables on the frame. They have been fine. I see that you have strong feelings about bike racks lol so I will not comment further. I’m not trying to sway your opinion nor the OP. I’ve simply stated my positive experience with the rack I use...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
I have been looking for a new bike rack, had a Yakima Long Haul that was supposedly created for RV's last year, but it didn't last our first big trip before the arms were bending. I have decided that I want a platform style rack, it seems like there won't be as much stress on this style of rack. The problem is, I have only found 1 platform style rack for 4 bikes that is RV rated. It is this, Pro Series - 4 Bike Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount not sure that I like that it is 2 pcs though. Got a new catalog from Camping World yesterday and they show a new bike rack from Stromberg Carlson, it is this

Adjustable Four Bike Carrier - Stromberg Carlson BC-204 - Racks & Carriers - Camping World I'm leaning towards the Stromberg Carlson bike rack, but I can't find any reviews online because it is so new. Does any have experience with other Stromberg Carlson products? Are they any good?

We are planning to buy the Pro Series unit you linked to above. All-around reviews are great, price is right, it's rv-rated and is platform style. We had a Thune hang rack which held fine but the four bikes rubbed each other during transport resulting in some damage. Really like the platform style and the Pro Series checks all the boxes...

Amazon seems to have the best price on it btw at $214. Consider reading the questions and reviews on both Amazon and etrailer if you haven't already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #16

I have a Swagmann 4-bike rack that I've been using since 2004. It has rubber pads that protects the bike's paint. Never had any damage whatsoever. The only thing I had to do was use shims to tighten up the fit into my hitch receiver on the RV.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
Hi Warren,

The "RV approved" bike rack that failed for me was made by Yakima. Yakima has 2 bike racks that are designed for RV's specifically, the Long Haul and the Road Trip. I purchased the Long Haul which was the more expensive. I used it about 4 times, 3 or so times locally and the 4th time was our big summer trip. About 300 miles into the trip I noticed one arm was starting to droop. By the end of the 2500 mile trip the droop was very noticeable. I returned that rack and got my money back, now I'm looking for something different.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #18

My wife and I have used this Yakima rack for 5+ years and many thousands of miles (10k+), and we haven't had any problems at all. For an RV, I also like the racks that have a storage tray that can be used for carrying stuff when there aren't any bikes.
https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-HoldUp...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I had this narrowed down to 2 racks, now I have at least 6 to consider. I don't need to purchase for another month or so, hopefully some reviews will show up for the Stromberg Carlson.
I'm in the same boat as you. Having Grandkids I want to be able to carry 4 bikes during the summer. However during the winter while on the road south, I only want to carry 2. That search brought me to the Stromberg Carlson selling at Camping World 2 or 4 bike hitch. There are no reviews an neither company has any useful information. It seems that the only way to learn about this hitch is to order it and if you don't like what you see, to take it back to Camping World. Sorry that I can't help with rating or reviews.
A7thson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #20

The Hollywood Rack I mentioned in an earlier post is modular and allows you to carry 4 bikes or 2 by removing a piece.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote