Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Question Hitch / Pinbox questions

finally narrowed down the search for a fifth wheel...Eagle 321rsts
(Ordering this fall for a Spring 2019 delivery)

I have been reading many of the posts on this forum, and have found alot of good information. I’m sure this may have been asked before

TV

Ford F250 SB 4x4 SRW 6.7 L diesel. Factory fifth wheel setup (puck system). High capacity Tow package.
OR
F350 SB 4x4 SRW 6.7 L diesel. Factory fifth wheel setup (puck system)

(Ordering in early 2019)

Hitch options

B&W Companion and the Reese Revolution 5th Airborne pin box setup.
OR
Pullrite Superglide with Morryde pinbox

Questions

Does anyone have this 5th wheel or somthing similar?

Does anyone use either of the hitch / pinbox setups as listed?

What is your tow vehicle?

* what are your thoughts and suggestions after real world experience?

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and knowledge.

I am new to fifth wheels. Currently have a Whitehawk 27dsrl. Upgrading to a fifth wheel and diesel truck soon. Pre-planning!

Posted this earlier, but updated TV options and hitch options based on some responses I have received.
Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

Bought the same camper in 2016.Still using the Reese 20k we bought in 2006. No problems, we do have the 06 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
06 Dodge.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

I have 1 from column A and 1 from column B. B&W Companion and Mor-Ryde pinbox. No complaints from either, seems to be a good combination. The B&W breaks down into 2 pieces which makes install/removal pretty easy. When it’s out of the truck I store the hitch on a furniture dolly so I can easily position it to be a maximum obstacle. My B&W mounts to the factory puck system, very convenient.
When I first got it I used my shop crane (engine hoist) to lift it in and out of the bed but soon found out it was easier to just grunt it in/out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
PMC

We have a B&W companion slider and Mor Ryde rubber pin box and it’s a fine combo. You do need to manually slide it when you use it but it pulls nice and smooth.

Side note, we also came from a 27dsrl, that trailer treated us very well for the 3.5 years we had it.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #5

We have a 2017 Jayco Pinnacle FBTS. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6L Diesel SLT 4x4. The length of my truck bed is 6.5 feet i.e. Short bed. Our Pinnacle came with a MorRyde pin box. Based on your history I assume you know that with a 6.5 bed it’s easy to break out the rear truck window with too sharp of a turn in a short bed. ( do not know what size bed you have)
I researched forever, what type and brand of fifth wheel and pin box I wanted. I wanted what seemed to be the best, not least expensive. Thus, I eventually went with the Reese Revolution 5th. Wheel puck system (no sliding systems for me heard too many bad things) I kept the MorRyde pin box thinking…” when would I ever need to make such a sharp turn that I would need to make a full 90 degree. I was wrong, a few examples that happen to me turning down a wrong street where there was not enough room to turn around, dead streets that were not marked “dead end” tunnels where I had to turn around because my height was too much. It eventually caught up with me and on one occasion the short base would not allow me to make the sharp turn and I accidently broke out my rear truck window. ($996).
All this said, I bought a Reese Revolution, also called SideWinder, pin box that now allows me 90 degrees turn and have never looked back. Thus, my high recommendation is the Reese Elite 5th wheel and Reese Revelation Pin box.
morrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #6

We have a 2017 Eagle 321 RSTS, towed 2 summers. 2015 GMC 2500HD SLT, 6.5 box. Mor Ryde pin box and Reese 20K Elite hitch. No issues, never needed more turning angle. Truck tows like a dream, way easier to tow the Eagle than a 1998 Prowler 27' we had before. Must be the shape and ground clearance of the Eagle. Very satisfied, enjoy yours!

2015 Sierra 2500 SLT Duramax CC, Nav, Onstar WIFI, 20K Reese Elite
fljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrehuntr View Post
finally narrowed down the search for a fifth wheel...Eagle 321rsts
(Ordering this fall for a Spring 2019 delivery)

I have been reading many of the posts on this forum, and have found alot of good information. I’m sure this may have been asked before

TV

Ford F250 SB 4x4 SRW 6.7 L diesel. Factory fifth wheel setup (puck system). High capacity Tow package.
OR
F350 SB 4x4 SRW 6.7 L diesel. Factory fifth wheel setup (puck system)

(Ordering in early 2019)

Hitch options

B&W Companion and the Reese Revolution 5th Airborne pin box setup.
OR
Pullrite Superglide with Morryde pinbox

Questions

Does anyone have this 5th wheel or somthing similar?

Does anyone use either of the hitch / pinbox setups as listed?

What is your tow vehicle?

* what are your thoughts and suggestions after real world experience?

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and knowledge.

I am new to fifth wheels. Currently have a Whitehawk 27dsrl. Upgrading to a fifth wheel and diesel truck soon. Pre-planning!

Posted this earlier, but updated TV options and hitch options based on some responses I have received.
Hi Fyrehuntr,

I have the Pullrite Superglide with Morryde pinbox - love it. Glad I bought the Pullrite and would get both again in a heartbeat.

As far as the TV - go with the F350 if you can afford it.

Because - Have you ever heard a fellow camper say "I wish I had a smaller tow vehicle!"

Plus you'll need the extra payload of the F350 for the pin weight of the FW.

FYI - from personal experience - We also went from a TT to a FW. The Pullrite hitch added a level of confidence of not having to worry about turns or backing up.
We also had to upgrade our TV from a GMC 2500 to a 3500 when we went from a TT to a FW.
Our TV & FW are identified within my Sig.

Just my $0.02
Good luck
Old 06-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

I know you were asking about specific hitch but just thought I’d give something else to think about(maybe you already have), I currently tow with ‘11 F250 shortbed and I’m using the Andersen hitch with MORRyde pinbox. I don’t have thousands of miles of experience with this fiver setup but so far I’m really happy with handling and ride quality. I can easily make a 75-80* turn without concern and that’s enough for me...anything tighter than that is not good on any part of these rigs in my opinion.

FOr what it’s worth, my next TV will be a F350 for the reasons stated.
iFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #9

Guarantee you can put the front of that camper into the cab if you get into a situation where you have to make a tight turn and traffic won't give you time to get out and slide the hitch. Either get an auto slider or the long bed. We went long bed and love it. Go anywhere we want when not towing too. Great camper-love ours! Good luck.
Bill
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

Hitch/Pinbox

We have a late 2017 model Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS, we bought the Pullrite Superglide hitch for our set up as we didn't want to worry about locking and unlocking a standard slider hitch.
When we were buying there were three versions of the unit we wanted to buy at the dealer. One had the Reese Revolution installed, one had the Mor-Ryde hitch installed. The unit we liked with the group of features we liked best (since none are perfect) didn't have either!
So we went with the Pullrite hitch for our truck. We love it!! You do have to buy an adapter plate for the pinbox if you get the Pullrite and you must be basically straight on when you hook up. If those minor limitations aren't a problem it is a good combination.
We have a Silverado diesel crew cab with the 6.5 'short' bed.
So far the Pullrite has worked flawlessly with absolutely no problems. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations on checking and lubing hitch parts and the rails (with WD-40 ONLY now) before each use.
I wish our Jayco had, had the Mor-Ryde pinbox installed, and I am planning on buying one when I can afford it.
To replace our pinbox with the Mor-Ryde pinbox will be around six hundred or seven hundred dollars on Amazon for the pinbox and the Pullrite adapter plate if I can't use the one currently on the pinbox with the new pinbox, but I want it to reduce the bucking that sometimes occurs with the truck slowing or accelerating. My wife is OK with the bucking but it bugs me when there is a solution that works!
Tdbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #11

Truck. Check your weights. I am near the max pin weight for my truck with a smaller trailer. I was over max with our 2009 Dodge 2500 diesel. Especially if you go with a Pullrite that is much heavier than a standard hitch and pin. You may not put as much stuff in your trailer but it adds up fast. If you have a generator then that adds a lot to the cargo load as well. Optional batteries, same issue.

Wheelbase. I have always had short beds and not had an issue. It is nice that my Ford has a slightly longer "short" bed. I can get about 70deg without hitting the window. But, I am always careful, especially on inclines (like the driveway of our old house). OTOH, a Pullrite Superglide is good insurance against such an issue. Then again, you can always get a longer wheelbase and live with the issues. That's what my brother in law did.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote