Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

Honda EU2200i + EU2200 Companion generators

Own 2019 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK - 2 AC units (15K BTU & 13.5K BTU)
Purchased Honda generator EU2200i generator & EU2200 Companion generator
Purchased the parallel cable with the 30amp adapter (combining the 2 generators for a total of 4400 watts

Question#1: Can you run the 15K BTU AC unit + Residential frig + TV + RV LED lights and not blow a breaker?
THEN if I added ONLY ONE of the following with ALL of the above still on: a microwave, toaster, coffee pot, or blow dryer, would that STILL not blow a breaker?

Would prefer NOT to purchase a Micro Easy Start ($300) since I've already shelled out a good $2500 for all of the above. But I also don't want to be constantly worried about overloading the generators.

Question #2: Anyone use the EU2200 Honda generators paralleled together to run electricity to their brick & mortar home? I know it won't run more than possibly a: window A/C unit, box fan, & frig just curious as we'd love to have generators serve both needs. We live on Gulf Coast and hurricanes are annual fun event!

Thanks!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

I can’t answer your question specifically, but I can run my residential fridge & 1 of my 15k A/C units on a single Honda 2200...BUT I installed the soft start on my main A/C unit. I would think that it would be possible with 2 Honda’s, but couldn’t say for sure.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

I rented a 3000 watt honda once and ran my 15k ac, rv fridge, tv, lights and ceiling fan with no problems. I would imagine that your dual 2200's would be fine. I could be wrong but I thought that the res ref ran off the inverter and the battery. So that would be no drain on those generators. But like I said, I could be wrong.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Spend the money on the soft starts so when you have a 30 amp spot in a campground you can have both AC units. Make sure you let the first AC unit run for 10 minutes before starting the second unit.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Purchased the parallel cable with the 30amp adapter (combining the 2 generators for a total of 4400 watts

Question#1: Can you run the 15K BTU AC unit + Residential frig + TV + RV LED lights and not blow a breaker?
THEN if I added ONLY ONE of the following with ALL of the above still on: a microwave, toaster, coffee pot, or blow dryer, would that STILL not blow a breaker?

Would prefer NOT to purchase a Micro Easy Start ($300) since I've already shelled out a good $2500 for all of the above. But I also don't want to be constantly worried about overloading the generators.

Question #2: Anyone use the EU2200 Honda generators paralleled together to run electricity to their brick & mortar home? I know it won't run more than possibly a: window A/C unit, box fan, & frig just curious as we'd love to have generators serve both needs. We live on Gulf Coast and hurricanes are annual fun event!

Thanks!
I have microaires on both of my ACs so I can’t answer your specific question.

But another thing to consider, convert them to propane. With gas if you let your generators sit for any period of time the carburetors will get gummed up and they won’t run well. You can run them dry and then add some ethanol free gas and run them for 10 minutes to flush the regular gas out and store them that way but it is a pain. With propane they are always clean plus propane never goes bad so you can keep it around for when you need it and even run the generators from the propane on your rig. I am camping right now with a 2200 and a 2000 both running off propane.

I have used a 3000 watt Honda to back up my house for years, it runs my refrigerator, gas stove, blowers for two gas furnaces, tv, lights and septic pump. Two 2200s in parallel should do that and more.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks!
Another comment, your LED lights run off the battery, but unless you turn off the breaker for the converter, when you power your rig the converter will automatically charge the batteries and it can draw a fair amount of current if your batteries are low.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks!
Two 2200 in parallel make 3,600 watts continuous, 4,400 max which is why the companion has a 30 amp connection, 30 amps x 120 volts = 3,600 watts. So you don’t really have 4,400 watts except for start ups.

Also be aware that the ground and neutral aren’t bonded together in the 2200 generators and if you have a surge guard or similar protection on your rig it won’t work with the generator unless you make an adapter that bound them together.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #8

Running a single EU2200, my converter was drawing around 5 amps charging my battery bank, turned on the microwave, it drew around 14 amps and the generator shut down on overload. So there are a couple of numbers for you.

Without a microaire I doubt you could run a 15k btu air conditioner and microwave at the same time and you would need to make sure the breaker was off for the converter and no other AC appliances were running to even have a chance.