Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

HOT ! hot water

Hello, My hot water tank working too well... A danger to grandkids who forget that they were warned about the hot water . Is there a way to turn down the temp. on the heater in a 2011 Eagle HT ( don't see one at first glance ) This is a concern as I find it too hot for myself and have to balance it with cold water. All help appreciated .
Pickup jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup jockey View Post
Hello, My hot water tank working too well... A danger to grandkids who forget that they were warned about the hot water . Is there a way to turn down the temp. on the heater in a 2011 Eagle HT ( don't see one at first glance ) This is a concern as I find it too hot for myself and have to balance it with cold water. All help appreciated .
Unfortunately there is no thermostat. You may check to see if your make & model offers one as an add on.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #3

Just open the bypass valve ( used for winterizing ) and this will introduce a little cold water into the hot line. With just a little fussing you’ll get it just right then mark it with a magic marker for the next time.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

Some models you can get different temp snap switches to lower the temp. You just remove the original and install the new.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Some models you can get different temp snap switches to lower the temp. You just remove the original and install the new.
Earl
Atwood even makes one that's adjustable.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

If the water heater is easily accessible you could have a plumber install a mixing valve it’s piped between the cold water and hot water and cooler water comes out.
Like this this https://www.lowes.com/pd/cash-acme-1...yABEgI0R_D_BwE

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup jockey View Post
I have a lot of grandchildren. We keep the hot water in our house "hotter" than most. All the children and grandchildren know it.

We always blend cold with hot water. Been that way at my house for years. If I can hold my hand in the hot water stream without any cold water being blended in, then that water is not hot enough, IMO.

The reason is two-fold: primarily,it allows many people to use the hot water at the same time, for taking showers, doing laundry, washing dishes, etc, without running out. Since the water is pretty hot, a little goes a long way.

Secondarily, it provides hot enough water to help sanitize dishes when either hand rinsing, or using a dishwasher. Same goes for a clothes washer.

My 154bh had a pilot light on the water tank, as well as a temperature adjustment. But the tank on my new 224bh is electronically ignited, and I don't see any temperature adjustment available.

LOL, I wish that I could turn the hot water temp on our 224bh up higher!

Frank
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Secondarily, it provides hot enough water to help sanitize dishes when either hand rinsing, or using a dishwasher. Same goes for a clothes washer.

My 154bh had a pilot light on the water tank, as well as a temperature adjustment. But the tank on my new 224bh is electronically ignited, and I don't see any temperature adjustment available.

LOL, I wish that I could turn the hot water temp on our 224bh up higher

Frank
Actually modern dishwashers and washing machines have onboard heaters to bring temps up to their programed wash temps, IF NEEDED. Having it too hot is a waste of money, energy and danger to anyone who isn't aware you have your hot water set to scalding.

And if you check around, Atwood water heaters do have a thermostat. Adjustable thermostats are available.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atwood-93...233a7736afca93
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #9

follow up- hot water

Thanks all , it seems that my heater has lower temp. senors available. I can get a 120 deg. module for my unit to swap out for the hot one that I have now. Lets see what this is going to put me back $$. (CDN $$) travel safe.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Just wondering, you running the water heater on propane or electric.

Just for laughs, I tried mine both ways and measured temps. On propane, it ran 140 degrees, on electric it ran 120 degrees.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #11

follow up- hot water

Always electric, use propane only to try it out at spring setup.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Just wondering, you running the water heater on propane or electric.

Just for laughs, I tried mine both ways and measured temps. On propane, it ran 140 degrees, on electric it ran 120 degrees.
As you found out, the water heater does indeed have two separate thermostats, one for electric and one for gas. Do your homework before replacing thermostats.

I wanted just the opposite on my water heater to stretch out the hot water. I replaced my original 130 degree thermostat with 140 degree thermostat on the electric side.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #13

re: hot water

Many interesting views on the subject. However, I will be going with lower temp. on the electric heater. After some thought , being safe when it comes to our junior campers outweighs anything else. Anyway the choice was out of my hands when someone found out that there was a fix !