Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Question hot water heater

How can I fix a hot water heater in my 2000 Jayco 5th. They are probably all the same. about a 6gal.
It will fill up with water and get hot, and when it gets hot,it will all spew out of the heater outside..
thanks for any help.
j2ponies ,
j2ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2ponies View Post
How can I fix a hot water heater in my 2000 Jayco 5th. They are probably all the same. about a 6gal.
It will fill up with water and get hot, and when it gets hot,it will all spew out of the heater outside..
thanks for any help.
j2ponies ,
If you mean all the water flows out after it heats it sounds like your relief valve is bad or is opening prematurely for some reason.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

hot water heater

Thanks Cutrello,
I'll start there with the relief valve~.Guess I'll take it out and take it in so they can see what it is, right? How hard can this be?....I'm learning the forum so hope I get it right.
j2ponies
j2ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Hey j2ponies! First of all welcome to the forum! If you get a chance, come on over to the new member area and introduce yourself!

On the water heater - can you tell us exactly where the water is coming from or take a pic to show us? A couple of things come to mind -- as cutrell said - it is probably the relief valve, but why? It opens for 2 reasons - one it is bad, or two it is doing what it is supposed to be doing because you have a malfunction and the water is being overheated. First thing I would do while the water is cold is open and close the relief valve a couple of times and flush it out. It is possible you have some debris or something in there that is causing the problem.

Let us know what you figure out.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote