Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Unhappy Hot Water Heater

Hello. I have a 2017 Jayco Seismic Wave 400W and today my hot water decided to stop running. My cold water works, but not hot. The tank gets hot and releases hot water from the release valve, but nothing else will. I assume this means it is a broken check release valve. Here is my question:
How do I access my hot water heater easily to get to this valve? Do I really have to start taking my RV apart to get to the hot water heater? Please help! Thank you in advance.
Slgray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #2

Are you certain its not in bypass mode?

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Are you certain its not in bypass mode?
Positive. I had just taken a shower and then went to do dishes about 20 minutes later and there was nothing coming out the hot side. I checked the shower and bathroom sinks. Nothing. When I turn on the cold water, it works.
Slgray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slgray84 View Post
Hello. I have a 2017 Jayco Seismic Wave 400W and today my hot water decided to stop running. My cold water works, but not hot. The tank gets hot and releases hot water from the release valve, but nothing else will. I assume this means it is a broken check release valve. Here is my question:
How do I access my hot water heater easily to get to this valve? Do I really have to start taking my RV apart to get to the hot water heater? Please help! Thank you in advance.
A 2017 should still be under warranty. Take it to the doctor first if you can.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #5

Do you have a tank or tankless heater? How many valves do you have for the bypass system? 2 and 3 valve bypass are the most common, and they do not have and check valve. I have only seen and heard of one time, of a single 3 way valve with a check valve system. If you have that configuration than maybe a check valve is stuck closed. If so, I would, flip the bypass valve, flow water through the pipes, and flip the bypass valve back to normal operation.

If you pressure relief is leaking hot water, that means you water pressure in the tank is extremely high. I might also pull the pressure relief valve to lower the pressure in the tank, but be careful of scalding hot water spray.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

Not sure if you did this but I would consider turning off the pump, relieving all pressure in the system and trying to drain water out of the hot water tank through the piping.

Another thought is to actually drain the hot water tank and if you can, flush it with some fresh water. Maybe connect to city water while drain open and let it flow out the drain hole.

The reason I suggest this you may have some junk in the system.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #7

I have 2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS. I experienced same problem. OPEN HOT WATER FAUCET AND NOT A DROP!
I found my check valve was stuck. There is a check valve on top of the water heater on the outlet line. Mine is plastic. I released enough water from the water heater so I could disconnect the line. Once the line was disconnected I removed the little valve inside and reconnected the line. Presto.....hot water.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slgray84 View Post
Did you ever find out what was wrong? I’m also having the same issue
RANGO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I have 2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS. I experienced same problem. OPEN HOT WATER FAUCET AND NOT A DROP!
I found my check valve was stuck. There is a check valve on top of the water heater on the outlet line. Mine is plastic. I released enough water from the water heater so I could disconnect the line. Once the line was disconnected I removed the little valve inside and reconnected the line. Presto.....hot water.
2020 Eagle 319MLOK - our stupid plastic check valve would, at its own choice of time, reduce the flow to a trickle, then again at its own choice, full flow.

I took it out to see it the check valve was truly the problem and this past trip we had no issues. I plan on leaving it out until it comes time ti winterize. Then it be replaced with a QUALITY, BRASS check valve!!!
FireguyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #10

Thank you. Was just curious it seems everyone has had this problem
Old 06-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #11

Hi my name is TONY,where Is that check value on your mlok? I have 2019.
Thanks
dolfantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfantony View Post
Hi my name is TONY,where Is that check value on your mlok? I have 2019.
Thanks
i USED to have a check valve on the discharge side of the water heater tank...

I removed the street-side "back wall" of the basement, abuts to the utility bay. IIRC, 4 screws near the door and 2 on the back side. I had to crawl into the compartment to get the back screws.

Once the screws are out, you can tilt the panel to get it up from the little drop-down section, then slide it back out of the way. Be careful, as (on mine) there are wires going to the light and outlet. KEEP THIS IN MIND AS YOU WORK, as it's easy to bump them.

Get a light (you can use the outlet you just moved., and LEDs are a LOT cooler WHEN you touch it..) and look toward the rear of the trailer. The CV is on the "hot" side, top of the tank. I can't remember the size, but I used a socket/ratchet to get it out. No need, nor room for a pipe wrench.

You WILL spill water removing the hoses, might want to get a big towel in there before you start. I ran a fan to dry it up before I put the panel back in.

It is a tangled, but semi-organized mess in there. Be careful as you work so you don't damage or dislodge any other components.

Since I had access, I checked other fittings for tightness, the tv cables were very loose

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any other assistance!
FireguyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireguyEd View Post
i USED to have a check valve on the discharge side of the water heater tank...

I removed the street-side "back wall" of the basement, abuts to the utility bay. IIRC, 4 screws near the door and 2 on the back side. I had to crawl into the compartment to get the back screws.

Once the screws are out, you can tilt the panel to get it up from the little drop-down section, then slide it back out of the way. Be careful, as (on mine) there are wires going to the light and outlet. KEEP THIS IN MIND AS YOU WORK, as it's easy to bump them.

Get a light (you can use the outlet you just moved., and LEDs are a LOT cooler WHEN you touch it..) and look toward the rear of the trailer. The CV is on the "hot" side, top of the tank. I can't remember the size, but I used a socket/ratchet to get it out. No need, nor room for a pipe wrench.

You WILL spill water removing the hoses, might want to get a big towel in there before you start. I ran a fan to dry it up before I put the panel back in.

It is a tangled, but semi-organized mess in there. Be careful as you work so you don't damage or dislodge any other components.

Since I had access, I checked other fittings for tightness, the tv cables were very loose

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any other assistance!
Very good info. I second what he said about everything and watch out for screws coming through the floor(above your head) also. I must be the only one that has a plastic fitting with nothing to grab ahold of on mine. I called someone out to fix it.

Tags
hot water, location, seismic, valve