Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Hot water heater LP

What is the red light for above the hot water heater switch for gas? As you can see we have both electric and gas.

Overnight I left the LP on and turn the electric off because we're boon docking. Woke up this morning in the light above the LP was on. And I have no hot water. So I turned on the electric as well.
Attached Thumbnails
20190214_074619.jpg  
Mako284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Most I have seen that light is to indicate a failure in the ignition for the water heater.
Cycle the switch off, wait for about 10 seconds and turn it back on. Go and listen to the water heater and see if it ignites. If it ignites and burns well, it could have just been a fluke during the night. If it doesn't stay lit, there could be something additional: debris in the burn tube or at the gas nozzle; faulty ignitor; circuit board problem.
I am sure others can chime in with additional troubleshooting advice.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Any chance the propane tank emptied and it didn't change over to another? Do other LP appliances still work OK?

If it doesn't relight after being cycled off/back on as mentioned it could also be a bad ignitor board if it is an Atwood HWH. Seems they had a significant number of them fail.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just turn off the gas operation switch and it will reset operation to normal
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #5

Circuit board was bad -

Thanks for the feedback -

limited hot water from the electric side (Luke warm), no ignition (with a lighter, if I killed the power then back on a lighter would ignite the flame and a second later it would click and go out) from the LP side.

The red light does mean failure....

Swapped the board and wala... magic...

My learning for the day is done, time for a beer!
Mako284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako284 View Post
Circuit board was bad -

limited hot water from the electric side (Luke warm), no ignition (with a lighter, if I killed the power then back on a lighter would ignite the flame and a second later it would click and go out) from the LP side.

Did you test the circuit board with an amp meter? Just curious.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako284 View Post
Circuit board was bad -

Glad it is working again, I carry a spare board with me because of the issue.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

Our circuit board went too on the second month after purchase. The clue for me was that after seeing the 2 amp mini fuse on the board blown, then the replacement fuse blew right away.
Dometic sent me a new board right away under warranty and advised me to look on line at Amazon for backup replacements for less than the $200 that they would have charged with shipping for an out-of-pocket spare. Depending on the part number of the board you can get them for about $120 as OEM or used on eBay for $80-$100 for “used but from new units otherwise damaged” (my paraphrasing).

I’ve decided to buy a spare based on other comments here. Cold showers in the morning suck, even if you can walk to the camp’s facility
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Our circuit board went too on the second month after purchase. The clue for me was that after seeing the 2 amp mini fuse on the board blown, the replacement fuse blew
Right away.
Dometic sent me a new board right away under warranty and advised me to look on line at Amazon for backup replacements for less than the $200 that they would have charged with shipping for an out-of-pocket spare. Depending on the part number of the board you can get them for about $120 as OEM or used on eBay for $80-$100 for “used but from new units otherwise damaged” (my paraphrasing).

I’ve decided to buy a spare based on other comments here. Cold showers in the morning suck, even if you can walk to the camp’s facility
When our new Pinnacle arrives I will check the water heater brand and model number and definitely order a spare board!!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 02-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #10

Any idea what the soft point is? Is the board 12V only or does it also handle the 110 side (thinking spike or low voltage on AC side)? Water contact? This seems to be a not uncommon failure.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Any idea what the soft point is? Is the board 12V only or does it also handle the 110 side (thinking spike or low voltage on AC side)? Water contact? This seems to be a not uncommon failure.
Hmmm. When I talked to Dometic customer service and asked why the electric side of the water heater had not helped us albeit at an expected deminished recovery rate, they said tha the circuit board “ran the whole thing” - electric as well as gas. I tend to think that it’s 12 v. But you can call dometic. I found them to be friendly and helpful. And easy to contact.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Hmmm. When I talked to Dometic customer service and asked why the electric side of the water heater had not helped us albeit at an expected deminished recovery rate, they said tha the circuit board “ran the whole thing” - electric as well as gas. I tend to think that it’s 12 v. But you can call dometic. I found them to be friendly and helpful. And easy to contact.
The newer Atwoods (now Dometic) use a relay to "turn on/off" the 120-volt AC electric heating element. And the control circuit for the relay does indeed come through the module. I have heard some board failures take out the gas heating functionality while leaving the electric heating intact. But other failures take out all heating.

Cheap potted boards I guess.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Our circuit board went too on the second month after purchase. The clue for me was that after seeing the 2 amp mini fuse on the board blown, then the replacement fuse blew right away.

Looks like we might have the same problem. We were finally able to camp this week in our 212QB that we bought in January. We were able to take hot showers this morning and then I turned the heater off, turned it back on a few hours later to wash dishes and nothing. It blew the fuse, I put in another and it blew.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:

Angus, do you happen to have the part number for that circuit board? I want to have a spare to carry.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 04-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #15

I got more fuses and now it's not blowing them but it's not lighting and I can't see a spark from the ignitor. I do have plenty of propane, fridge and stove light with no problem. I've called my dealer and have an appointment to drop it off tomorrow, I've heard a lot of good things about their service now I'll find out for myself.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Angus, do you happen to have the part number for that circuit board? I want to have a spare to carry.
Yeah when I get home tonight. But you may want to check your rig when you get it (should be soon, right?). I learned that there are variations of this Atwood furnaces and the version I have is harder to source lower cost parts from amazon or eBay. The part and placard is easy spot without tools under the outside furnace panel.
-Angus
Old 04-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah when I get home tonight. But you may want to check your rig when you get it (should be soon, right?). I learned that there are variations of this Atwood furnaces and the version I have is harder to source lower cost parts from amazon or eBay. The part and placard is easy spot without tools under the outside furnace panel.
-Angus
Will do, thanks Angus!!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #18

Quote:
This is the one I've had in my Amazon cart for a while. Have to double-check the #s when I go camping next, before I pull the trigger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HZ6STYHL&psc=1

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:

The heater model number is GC10A-4E, by Atwood (owned by Dometic)
The circuit board part number on mine is 91346. When you do a search, the circuit board that comes up most often is 9136, available from a lot of sources. Mine comes up only on eBay, which makes me nervous.

In the picture below, the board is in the top right corner of the heater panel, with the multi-color wire harness plugged into it. The sticker with the part number is on the right side edge of the board and can be seen only after removing the board with two screws.

The water heater model and serial #'s are on the white placard on the right edge of the bay.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1622.jpg  
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
The heater model number is GC10A-4E, by Atwood (owned by Dometic)
The circuit board part number on mine is 91346. When you do a search, the circuit board that comes up most often is 9136, available from a lot of sources. Mine comes up only on eBay, which makes me nervous.

In the picture below, the board is in the top right corner of the heater panel, with the multi-color wire harness plugged into it. The sticker with the part number is on the right side edge of the board and can be seen only after removing the board with two screws.

The water heater model and serial #'s are on the white placard on the right edge of the bay.
Why are these circuit boards so rare and hard to find. All I see is 91365. When I looked on Ebay, they don't actually have the 91346 for sale.
Formerly from Sequim, WA