Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Household Refer Invertor in 2015 Pinnacle

So our summer saga revolved around our household refer in our 2015 Pinnacle.
After using the refer without issues, we noticed that the invertor installed from the factory was not allowing the switch-over when attached to shore power. Our dealer installed a new invertor that then created new problems. The refer just would not work consistently and we had to cancel a 2 month vacation, just a week into it. After 3 new invertors the refer still had intermittent issues. Samsung was called out and told us that the refer was installed incorrectly and was not getting enough ventilation. Other parts of the refer were tested, all OK. Dealer re-installed refer and installed a fan that turns on when needed. That still was not the solution. We then insisted on a 1800 watt pure sine wave invertor. After almost 4 months of cancelled trips and disappointments, that invertor did the trick. We are not electricians, yet after speaking to "experts" the pure sine wave is the way to go. The factory invertor is rated for small appliances only. Also, we have solar on the roof powering 4-6volt batteries. I have to say, that Jayco was exceptional in their service and replacement of the parts. They tend to send the replacement parts via "pony express" (we live in San Diego) and I found out if I made a phone call to them they expedited shipping. Jayco Customer Service mentioned the same problem w other rigs too and changing the invertor was the answer. Too bad they installed a total of 4 1000 watt invertors before figuring out the problem.
So, if anyone out there is having a problem with their household refer, the factory installed invertor may be the issue.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Which fridge do you have? Reason I'm curious is that I have been told that a 1kw sine wave inverter will do the job.

Is your fridge a side by side model that has more power requirements than most residential units being installed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Which fridge do you have? Reason I'm curious is that I have been told that a 1kw sine wave inverter will do the job.

Is your fridge a side by side model that has more power requirements than most residential units being installed.
I was going to ask the same question. Our French Door Samsung only draws 3.9 amps maximum since it uses the new Inverter Technology compressor.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

Don't know model. It's the French door. Freezer on bottom w ice maker in freezer. In my opinion and from my research you need a pure sine wave.
bethcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #5

Residential refrigerator

I am hoping to (some day) have my residential refrigerator working again. We were able to use our new fifth wheel one weekend before the frig stopped working.
That is going on almost 5 months now...........

Not sure anyone knows what the bell they are doing.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

Our 2016 Pinnacle came with a Frigidaire side-by-side and wife is regretting getting it. We have been hearing "noises" coming from the unit so when the unit goes back in for warranty work, DW will be asking they look at it.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We have been hearing "noises" coming from the unit so when the unit goes back in for warranty work,
Could be the icemaker. We hear ours evetytime it makes a tray of ice.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

Not sure which model we have but the owners manual says RF18** and RF20**.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #9

I just realized the 18 vs 20. We have the 18 cubic foot.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
I just realized the 18 vs 20. We have the 18 cubic foot.
All the SAMSUNGS were the 18 cu/ft French Door.

As to sine wave, The Inverter Compressor, as I understand it, is a variable speed DC unit. The compressor runs constant, but speed changes as cooling needs increase or decrease.

If that is correct "sine wave" should not be that critical, and as I said before they only draw 3.9 amps so the 1000 watt inverter is big enough for that load. I do know that if I forget to turn our coffee-pot off the inverter shuts down when switching from shore power since the under cabinet plug in the slide is also on that circuit.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #11

Interesting info, Grumpy. We will check to see if that plug runs off the invertor too, but in reality we rarely use that plug and I know it was not a factor in our refer failure. Maybe its the wattage of the upgraded invertor. I really don't know, but w 4 1000 watt invertors, fridge failed, and w 1800 watt invertor, it now works.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Our 2016 Pinnacle came with a Frigidaire side-by-side and wife is regretting getting it. We have been hearing "noises" coming from the unit so when the unit goes back in for warranty work, DW will be asking they look at it.
I'm interested to know what types of noise yours makes.
Mine makes some interesting noise. I can hear it from the bedroom. I recorded it with my phone, but I'm sure the dealer would be less than interested because no one would know if that noise is normal (except for an actual fridge repairman). It's not a good noise. It doesn't do it all the time.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I'm interested to know what types of noise yours makes.
Mine makes some interesting noise. I can hear it from the bedroom. I recorded it with my phone, but I'm sure the dealer would be less than interested because no one would know if that noise is normal (except for an actual fridge repairman). It's not a good noise. It doesn't do it all the time.
It is not the ice maker. Sometimes it actually sounds like the motor is going out. DW looked at the temps & one time the freezer started warming up - never reached 32 degrees but then it started dropping again.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
It is not the ice maker. Sometimes it actually sounds like the motor is going out. DW looked at the temps & one time the freezer started warming up - never reached 32 degrees but then it started dropping again.

That's exactly what our Frigidaire did the second time we went camping....
Needed the evaporator and compressor replaced.
Still waited for compressor.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
Old 10-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #15

Only difference is ours never cooled again after it started warming up.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 10-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Just finished that with Jayco ,they replaced the inverter with 1800 spoke to tec guru the Samsung has 2 compressors when both kick on its more than the 1000 can handle ,he's the best they have finally someone who cares and knows hope they don't burn him out.almost forgot it's 2 door and drawer unit ice is in drawer ,also if yours is not making ice for some reason push ice button off as it runs constantly when trying to make ice
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by My garage View Post
Just finished that with Jayco ,they replaced the inverter with 1800 spoke to tec guru the Samsung has 2 compressors when both kick on its more than the 1000 can handle ,he's the best they have finally someone who cares and knows hope they don't burn him out.almost forgot it's 2 door and drawer unit ice is in drawer ,also if yours is not making ice for some reason push ice button off as it runs constantly when trying to make ice
Sorry, I don't buy that. It has two seperate evaporators, not compressors. If the maximum amp draw, per SAMSUNG and the label on the fridge, is 3.9 amps then a 1,000 watt inverter, that has a surge capacity of 2,000 watts and 8.3 amp constant output is more than enough. Also , per SAMSUNG, the inverter compressor runs constantly, but changes speeds as cooling needs change, does not turn on and off, so no surge. If what he said was true, all of the units from 2014 and 2015 would have the problem.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #18

I agree with Grumpy, my Samsung also has the 3.9 amp draw, even if the inrush is double, the 1k watt inverter should be fine. I have not had an issue, we have installed a 240 watt solar panel and two 6 volt batteries everything works fine, the only issue if that is what you can call it is the cooling fan for the inverter it is loud !!!
Old 10-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Ok maybe evaporators but sorry he's the engineer I have to go with him he had the meeting with Samsung anyway they all agreed needs the 1800 they are not replacing them for no reason
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankedtime View Post
I agree with Grumpy, my Samsung also has the 3.9 amp draw, even if the inrush is double, the 1k watt inverter should be fine. I have not had an issue, we have installed a 240 watt solar panel and two 6 volt batteries everything works fine, the only issue if that is what you can call it is the cooling fan for the inverter it is loud !!!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS