Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2020, 04:42 AM   #21
eow

I am 2 inches nose high and I do not worry about it since the suspension uses an equalizer between the axles to "balance" the load between the front and rear axles when there is slight variation. A 2 inch box height difference over 30 feet is 3/16" of height difference between the two axles. Therefore not much difference in axle load when being 2" nose high.

My observation on my TPMS is that I have no tire temp difference front to back axle on my tires. But if in a cross wind, I have a noticeable tire temp difference curb side verses road side, the higher temp being on the opposite side of the wind direction due to trailer tilt.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #22

Our 2018 28.5 RSTS has 16 inch tires, shackles in lower holes and I added the Morryde Correct Track to lift the trailer about 1.5-2 inches. I run with only 5 inches clearance from the bed on our 2015 Ram 2500 so have to be careful in unlevel areas. I welded in 2x3 steel crossmembers at the shackles to better handle the stress on the frame and shackles.

SeventyGTX I can assure you it is incorrect and unsafe to inflate tires to lower than the recommended cold temperature. Doing so creates a lot of stress and heat. Here is a link to tire engineer Roger Marble who often tries to correct peoples thinking in that regard:

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-tire-saf...terms-rvt-963/

"It is also important for people to understand that tires can tolerate a significant increase in pressure due to operation under load or at speed. While I can’t provide information on the specific design limits used by different tire companies, what I can say is that in my personal experience many new tires are capable of tolerating inflation increase of upwards of 100% or more over the number molded on the tire sidewall. So the idea that an undamaged tire will suddenly explode due to an increase in inflation due to operational heat is not justified."
Old 09-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
SeventyGTX, wow, you really are quite nose high. My 2017 27.5RKDS coupled to a 2015 Silverado short bed was nose high but not that much ... and I had the 15" Endurance tires. Perhaps you should think about raising the pin box or lowering the hitch.
The Andersen ball is a low as it will go. But I am going to go up a hole on the pin box before we head to Az in a couple of weeks.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
Our 2018 28.5 RSTS has 16 inch tires, shackles in lower holes and I added the Morryde Correct Track to lift the trailer about 1.5-2 inches. I run with only 5 inches clearance from the bed on our 2015 Ram 2500 so have to be careful in unlevel areas. I welded in 2x3 steel crossmembers at the shackles to better handle the stress on the frame and shackles.

SeventyGTX I can assure you it is incorrect and unsafe to inflate tires to lower than the recommended cold temperature. Doing so creates a lot of stress and heat. Here is a link to tire engineer Roger Marble who often tries to correct peoples thinking in that regard:

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-tire-saf...terms-rvt-963/
Sorry, I'm not going to read that book and will go off personal experience and the experience of others I know. Those recommended pressures on the sidewalls are for max loads. The Endurance tires I have are rated at nearly 14k for all four. Our Eagle HT is under 10k GVWR and we don't load it heavy. If I had a 12-13k trailer or still had the 15" Chinabombs it would be a different story and I would go 80lbs on them.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #25

Nose High 5th wheel

I also run about 4" nose high with my truck and fiver. Went to a shop and the mechanics told me that as long as I am not so high that i am against the equalizer between the two tires, I should be fine. That is what that pivot point is there for to equalize the weight between the two axles. Also you don't want to be so high in the front that you are dragging the rear of the trailer.
Curly
Curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:55 AM   #26

What's your clearance, Clarance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleswest View Post
Hi all,
Brand new to owning a 5th wheel. Had a Jayco Jayflight for years before it was stolen a few months ago. We picked up this 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS. Absolutely love it. It tows very well compared to our previous tow behind. In order to get 6 in bed clearance I have the hitch raised up a couple clicks. It's 3.5 in higher in front. It has adjustable suspension so I can adjust it if needed. What is the general opinion? Will I be putting significant stress on the rear axle? How much height will I gain by adjusting the spring mounts?

I've got the same type setup myself, only I've got a F250 LB. My first thought is bed clearance. I like about 6" from the top of the bed to the bottom of the cap. Anything less and you're taking a chance on articulation. I got on the roof and measured from the TOP of the AC to the ground to know what my clearance was. Last thing you want to do is find a short tree - or BRIDGE. With 10K lbs+ on the back, forget about 'wind resistance'. I get around 8MPG loaded.

Good luck!