Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #41

I have spent YEARS dealing with rodents...agh!!!Our fav is the Rat Zapper http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7ETA552Y23B0VF

Continuous kills, easy clean up, by far the best. Other than that, we use the electronic pest repellers. I have used them for years. They have kept rodents out of attics, pantries and engine compartments.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!!

https://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com
5thwheelgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #42

We heard, that using Irish Spring original soap, works, and it has for us. Just open boxes and now and then score the surface. Smells OK too.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 AM   #43

Man is never more that nine feet from a mouse. Do your best and understand the mouse stays ahead of the game.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #44

I set lots of traps and check periodically.

That was after crawling around underneath and sealing any holes I could find.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #45

We have loads of mice in a culvert behind our lot. They infest our lawn and snow removal equipment in our shed. They get in our attached garage and have even got in the wall on that side of our house. Yet, never in 22+ years of storing trailers next to our house have we had mice in them. Don't give them a reason to enter it.

Keep all food either sealed in plastic containers, or remove it all together. Keep the area around and under the trailer free of weeds and other hiding places.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #46

I had an older 1989 5th that never had any mice get in but it also had a solid type of covering underneath NOT the crap they use nowadays to make trailers so called all-season. That stuff is close to impossible to seal properly.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #47

Get a cat....
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
I hit a chipmunk with a stick when I was 6 yrs old.
Shame on you!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheelgypsy View Post
I have spent YEARS dealing with rodents...agh!!!Our fav is the Rat Zapper Amazon.com : Raticator Max Infrared Sensing Zapper Rat Trap : Home Pest Control Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Continuous kills, easy clean up, by far the best. Other than that, we use the electronic pest repellers. I have used them for years. They have kept rodents out of attics, pantries and engine compartments.
I got 3 rat zappers. Me and Kitty compete for the most kills ! I have a rat zapper in the camper loaded with peanuts and a fresh set of batteries. I am due to check it this weekend.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #50
Site Team

I've been having a mouse problem at my Home Base. The mice first gain entrance to my garage and basement by chewing holes through the weatherstripping on my garage doors. Then they chew a hole through the rubber sweep on the door leading to the basement.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
Here are some ideas in no particular order;
Remove all foodstuffs,
I think this is the most important thing you can do.

About everything else is a solution to an existing problem. Taking all the food out in the fall is the best preventative measure you can do.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #52

Swiss Cheese

I have a 27.5 HT BHS, and a pet black squirrel. Previous comments are right on. Even thought every thing looks sealed, it ain't. Under the kitchen sink, take out the wall(?) toward the back - wow two large holes, staple 1/4 hardware screen over holes. The squirrel stored 80+ black walnut in wife's favorite pots in the drawers. Again under the kitchen sink toward the front - I filled in the top (built) up to seal the drawer area.
The furnace duct work and wiring is not sealed too good either (remove the grate and look). Now to the front storage - easy to climb over the gas tanks (tried to put some hardware screen under the tanks, almost worked). I finally extended the wall between the tanks and the tanks, by the way the landing gear drive goes through there.
Out of the 6 TT I've owned this is the first Swiss cheese. Yes, I did use the dryer sheets and other deterrents. By the way I removed the walnuts plugged the holes I could find - he brought in smaller nuts, acorns (80+). If you want to try the expanding foam, get the can the says rodent repellent also.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #53

Mouse-Free! This stuff works awesome! We had mice in our brand new 26BH the first winter. The next summer I ordered enough Mouse-Free to do 2 - 24' campers and sprayed the entire underside of my 26BH. We had NO mice. My daughters 22FB was parked right next to mine both years and she had NO mice the first year and did have mice the 2nd year but only in the rear bumper. This winter is the 3rd winter with the 26BH and no mice so far.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Mouse-Free! This stuff works awesome! We had mice in our brand new 26BH the first winter. The next summer I ordered enough Mouse-Free to do 2 - 24' campers and sprayed the entire underside of my 26BH. We had NO mice. My daughters 22FB was parked right next to mine both years and she had NO mice the first year and did have mice the 2nd year but only in the rear bumper. This winter is the 3rd winter with the 26BH and no mice so far.
How long does this stuff last? Sounds very messy to apply but if it works.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #55

Of Mice and Men

I have tried various methods over the years but prevention is key. Find all holes in the trailer and fill them with spray foam or something similar.
The problem with moth balls is they smell like moth balls for a long time after words and I can tell you that is not a smell I really enjoy.
I use about 6 small tins (old soup cans) and fill them with gasoline and that seems to work. The smell does not linger.
kwasyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwasyd View Post
I use about 6 small tins (old soup cans) and fill them with gasoline and that seems to work. The smell does not linger.
Just where do you put those gasoline filled cans? Sounds like a huge explosion or fire risk to me, having open containers of highly volatile fuel near or inside a TT.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #57

Another good option I heard one time was to leave the wife in the camper when it's not in use.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #58

I have had problems in past RVs and every year in the garage. With pets in the neighborhood I did not want to spread mouse poison blocks outside til I discovered this simple bait station. It also keeps the mouse blocks dry outside and is easy to check and refill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After I got one for the garage door area I wanted more but the price seemed high. I use a package of 5 1 1/2 inch tees, 10 feet of 1 1/2 inch pvc and 5 caps to construct 5 more. I then used a piece of wire coathanger which prevents the bait from touching the bottom and keeps it dry in wet weather. 5 inchs of windy rain and baits all ok.

They are pet proof and cost me about $10 total to assemble. No mice in the garage so far but quite a bit of bait is gone! Keeps them outside to stay!

I can post a pic if anyone wants to copy mine.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #59

Just leave a nice plate of food at the bottom of the steps. All those voodoo dryer sheets, peppermint, soap have proven to do nothing, they love to make a nest with dryer sheets.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Catz. Lots of 'em.
Yep. That's the only thing I've found that works.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote