Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

How level is level enough?

I have a GC 3.0 and re-calibrated using my level and also had a reading of 0.0 and 0.0 on the readout. It never comes back to the 0.0, 0.0 when auto leveling. Most times the readings are 0.1, 0.1 which I figure probably isn't too bad. Is this within the error of the system or should it return to the 0.0, 0.0 setting each time? I know that the unit needs to be relatively level for the refrigerator to work properly and would think the more level it is, the less stress is put on the slideouts. So, just what is an acceptable level reading? Would you let it auto level then manually adjust to the 0.0, 0.0 reading on the control unit?

Which brings me to the second part of the question. When reading reviews about parks, several people with 5th wheels comment that they did not have to detach, referring to the length of the site. How is that possible and be able to level the unit? I have not been to a campsite where the site is perfectly level. If it is out of level from front to back, the front can't go any lower if it is sitting on the tv and can't be raised more than a couple of inches without stressing the 5th wheel. Side to side could possibly be done with wheel blocks and then just ground all the jacks manually to stabilize. I have always detached but, I also try to stay more than one night at site. We will be traveling in few weeks where we have a couple of one night layovers so, I would like to get some insight from some of the more experienced RVers out there.

Thanks.
theracqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

Hi racqueteer

I have the GC 2.0 (not the 3.0) and when auto-leveling my readings are always +/- 0.1 (i.e., sometimes 0.0, sometimes -0.1; sometimes +0.1).
So IMO, if you're within the +/- 0.1 you're ok.
I would like to know what the "0.1" means with regard to degrees out of level. So I'll be following this thread to see what others say.

To your question of not detaching. If you're just staying overnight and the FW is close to level and there's room in the site for both TV & FW, not detaching is an option. However, I would not auto-level. I would only ground the front landing jacks and raise them a little just to take some weight off the truck.

Myself, personally, I would always (& have) detach and auto-level the FW, even if just staying overnight at a campground.

The only time we have not detached is when we stayed overnight in a truck stop or a Walmart parking lot. But on those situations we got in late and were looking to just get some sleep and then get back on the road.

Hope this helps and have a safe trip.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

I have not unhooked many times at campgrounds. All but one time the site was 'level' side to side. If not level side to side then I may add a leggo block or two. But, my trailer rides about 5" nose high. I just ground the front jacks enough to make the front stable and then I ground the rear stabilizers. Umbilical is disconnected after the wheels are blocked.

So, yes, we sleep with the nose that high for those overnight stops.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

ROC-REQS

It is my understanding that the display is reading out in degrees. According to calculations, 1 degree is 0.27 inches (12" run and a 12" rise will give a 45 degree angle. Divide 12 by 45 to give inches / degree) so, one degree over 8.5' would be about 2.25 inches. So, 0.1 degrees would be about 0.25 inches out of level over 8.5 feet, which I think should be acceptable. I would think that that margin of error would allow the refrigerator to run efficiently and not stress the slideouts too much during extension and retraction. But I wanted hear from some of the more seasoned RVers to relate their experiences in regard to level tolerances and at what out of level point does it start negatively effecting the systems on the RV.

So far I have always detached, even the couple of times we did spend just one night. Both times the site was large enough that I could pull ahead and still had room. Hooking up was just a matter of backing straight and reattaching. Though those times were in summer with lots of daylight and we never felt rushed. We have been fortunate that on the couple of trips we've done, we have never been held up any length of time by traffic etc. Just thought that if we got into a situation where we were held up, running late and are tired from a long day, it might be simpler to just stay hooked.

Thanks to you and vcbice for your input.
theracqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Towed to Colorado and back from PA this summer and had a few one night stands. Did not unhitch, but did raise the front legs to take the strain off the truck suspension. NO problems of any type with slide outs or frig.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

I am new to fifth wheel camping and I did not unhook at two camp sites that we stayed for one night each. Everything worked well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

I would recommend detaching and leveling anytime you extend the slides. I think there is too much twist and distortion in a RV to keep things square enough to operate the slides without binding. If the slides operate well at the present I would lean at keeping them that way.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
I would recommend detaching and leveling anytime you extend the slides. I think there is too much twist and distortion in a RV to keep things square enough to operate the slides without binding. If the slides operate well at the present I would lean at keeping them that way.
Thanks!
Bobmadras is offline   Reply With Quote