Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

how many hours on battery?

Looking for a baseline to judge my battery supply. Those of you that go off grid; how long before the batteries give up? My rig is an Eagle 27.5 bhs with the optional second battery package. Do I have to invest in a generator for more than a two day weekend. Thanks
Pickup jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup jockey View Post
Looking for a baseline to judge my battery supply. Those of you that go off grid; how long before the batteries give up? My rig is an Eagle 27.5 bhs with the optional second battery package. Do I have to invest in a generator for more than a two day weekend. Thanks
It will depend on how much power you plan on using. Keep in mind that you will have parasitic draws like the fridge controller, CO detector, radio ...etc.

You should also NOT drain your batteries below 50%.

Kind Regards;

Ingo

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Team

What is the Amp Hour rating of your batteries?
Is it safe to say you have all LED lights in the TT?
Are you going to be using an inverter (converts 12VDC to 110VAC?
How much Tv will you be watching? (using inverter)
Will you be trying to charge anything off of the 12VDC accessory plug?
Will you be using the TT's heating system? (a cold night could use up your batteries Ah)

Do you have a 12VDC digital volt meter that you can plug into the inside 12VDC accessory plug, to monitor your batteries voltage?

REMEMBER, you should not let your batteries voltage drop below 12VDC, or you will be shortening its life.

If you have 2 80Ah batteries, you can only use 40Ah of the total (50% rule)

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

For more than a two day weekend? Unless you limit your electrical usage drastically, you will need a generator or a solar system. You should never allow your batteries to "give up". It can ruin them.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup jockey View Post
We have two, group 24, 12-volt batteries. Boondocking we are very conservative on battery power and can go 4 days without running the batteries below 12.5 volts. We have LED interior lights and only use 1 or 2 at time, use awning lights very briefly (30-60 seconds/night), and we use the water pump. We don't watch TV, listen to the radio, use the stove fan, or use the laptops/other electronic devices.

If we have to run the furnace, the furnace fan is a heavy draw on the batteries. How long you can go on batteries alone will depend upon how frequently the furnace runs. Our estimate is that the furnace will cut our boondocking time to 2 days.

After boondocking for a few days, we make sure to stay in a CG with full hookups for at least 18hrs (2 days preferred). Driving between campgrounds will not recharge your batteries sufficiently. A long 'overnight' stay at a minimum allows us to fully recharge the batteries.

Note, too, that you can't use the built-in battery indicator for anything meaningful. I bought an inexpensive digital unit that plugs into our 12v outlet near the tv to monitor the voltage.

I hope this helps a bit.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

"Note, too, that you can't use the built-in battery indicator for anything meaningful. I bought an inexpensive digital unit that plugs into our 12v outlet near the tv to monitor the voltage." What voltage meter did you buy?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

/Users/edarmacost/Desktop/Amazon.com: INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor: Automotive.webarchive
I have tried several. With substantial degrees of accuracy differential. This one has been the one I use all the time.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

With two Costco 6v golf cart batteries, I can make it 3 days, but it's pretty close. That means all LED lighting, but only using the lights we need at the moment. 2 hrs of TV in the evening. 8 hrs of a CPAP. Very little use of any vents or fans. No heat. Fridge on propane. Minimal use of the water pump. Nothing else electric ever turned on. Phone charging happens in the truck when we are out and about. We usually run out of water before battery.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #9

Two nights should be very doable for you, unless you turn on all your lights, play the radio and run the furnace all the time. We have a Jayco 26.5 RLS, 2012 model, and usually get around 4-6 days out of two 12-volt batteries. However, we are rarely in the FW during the day as we fish or sightsee most of the time. I also turn off the water heater while we are gone. I find that our battery life is shortened when it's fairly cool during the night and our furnace has to run a bit more than usual. Also, we don't have any LED lights and I do believe this causes more drawing down of the batteries from what I have read here on this site.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyEm View Post
"Note, too, that you can't use the built-in battery indicator for anything meaningful. I bought an inexpensive digital unit that plugs into our 12v outlet near the tv to monitor the voltage." What voltage meter did you buy?
Mine looks like this one....

Robot Check

There are other vendors & styles and the prices vary, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

Well it looks like I need small Honda generator, with four grandkids aboard and their toys and videos at night my batteries will last about a day! Thanks for feedback.
Pickup jockey is offline   Reply With Quote