Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #1

How many Towing Cameras is too many? I have THREE!

As the title states; how many Towing Cameras are too many? Well, I recently finished on my Towing Cameras installation project. I have a total of 3 cameras. Yeah, call me crazy, but I take pride in having multiple viewing towing angles. Not only does it make it a breeze to hitch, unhitch, back up and/or change highway lanes but also gives me a piece of mind knowing what’s besides or behind me. With the control of dash installed rocker switches, I have ALL three cameras on constant (any-time) view mode while in motion if I desire to.

Below is a list of what I currently have;

1) Truck Tailgate Camera- My Tundra came with the stock OEM camera located at the tailgate. However, the monitor screen it came with (located above overhead console by the headliner) was ridiculously tiny. So I inevitably ended up upgrading the stock radio head unit with a Pioneer AVH (Double Din) unit that not only plays DVD movies but also has USB, iPod, Auxiliary , Pandora, Navigation etc capability. Anyway, after a little modification of the existing wiring, this same Pioneer AVH unit integrated with the OEM back up camera. The Camera monitor screen is via the Pioneer AVH unit under reverse gear signal input. See images below;

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #2

2) Hitching Camera- I installed an infra red Night Vision hitching camera (mounted on rear 3rd brake light assembly) to help me with backing up my Truck into the 5th Wheel hitch. To hitch up, all it takes is just one single shot. I don’t need anyone to watch for me and/or get out of the truck to align. The Camera monitor screen is via the Pioneer AVH unit under AV1 input. See Images below;

|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #3

3) 5th Wheel Hitch Camera- Courtesy of Rear View Safety, I ordered a Quad View Monitor with Dual Camera assembly. The Dual camera assembly provides me with immediate short distance view of what’s directly behind the 5th Wheel (for backing up at campsites or bike rack monitoring) and the second camera provides incoming long distance traffic view. With the Quad View Monitor, I can select between the two views or I can have both views simultaneously via the split screen mode. Did I say that the Cameras have Audio microphone as well? The monitor is detachable/ removable. I have it mounted directly in front of my rear view mirror via a suction cup only during towing. This way, if I need to see who or what is behind me, I simply look up (just the same way I would into a rear view mirror).

Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #4

Anyway, I routed all the 5th Wheel Camera wiring surface mount on the RV using silicone all weather (outdoor) double sided tape clips and underneath the RV underbelly. Plus I installed a quick tow disconnect cable. Image is amazing. This system works flawlessly and it is pretty slick.  See images below;

Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #5

Hey, that's sweet! I like it. With all the blind spots a RV has, u need all the help u can get. I really like the one up on your 3th brake light for hitching up the camper. Thanks for showing it to us

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #6

If I was towing a big rig I definitely would like the rear camera up high looking at whats behind you. Also one on each side of the rear sides to check for what is sitting in your blind spot before making lane changes...

Then one on the truck to spot your hooking up to the trailer hitch or fifth wheel hitch.

My 2010 F150 Truck came with rear camera and it is really nice to be able to back up to the trailer hitch and see the the hitch go over the top of the rear ball mount on the first try. The camera's with the ONE FOOT markers really are nice to have...

Photo from google images

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

I have a kenwood unit that will only let you use the aux inputs when in park. How do you override the unit to where you can view the aux's when in drive?
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
I have a kenwood unit that will only let you use the aux inputs when in park. How do you override the unit to where you can view the aux's when in drive?
You will need a DVD/ Video in motion override device. Depending on the model and year of your Kenwood unit, it could be a simply 12v relay or an electronic chip. What is the exact model of your unit?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #9

Can you provide the specs on the hitch camera? My wireless voyager camera monitor has 2 inputs for wired cameras. The camera would be a great asset for hitching up.

Thanks

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote