Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #21

Let me add to my luck. My Coast Guard son is here for a week. Two days ago went out in pontoon boat to St Joe State Park. Beautiful day and smooth seas. Shut down and went to restart to move closer. Nothing, switches batteries same. We spent hours pulling and checking everything. Son is CG electrician. Batteries 12.7 volts but gauge only reads 5 when key on and horn barely makes noise. Had to call a tow (1k) thank you tow insurance. Tow tried jumping and started but all died as soon as unhooked.
Once home found nothing out of place. Pulled both batteries and took em for load test. Both 100% bad internal short for amp draw but good voltage. What are the odds of two bad batteries that are on a separate selector switch and on board marine charger. One is 3 and other 4 and go TU same time.
Have to agree need no more of any luck.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Let me add to my luck. My Coast Guard son is here for a week. Two days ago went out in pontoon boat to St Joe State Park. Beautiful day and smooth seas. Shut down and went to restart to move closer. Nothing, switches batteries same. We spent hours pulling and checking everything. Son is CG electrician. Batteries 12.7 volts but gauge only reads 5 when key on and horn barely makes noise. Had to call a tow (1k) thank you tow insurance. Tow tried jumping and started but all died as soon as unhooked.
Once home found nothing out of place. Pulled both batteries and took em for load test. Both 100% bad internal short for amp draw but good voltage. What are the odds of two bad batteries that are on a separate selector switch and on board marine charger. One is 3 and other 4 and go TU same time.
Have to agree need no more of any luck.
Rock
Dude, seriously. If I ever meet you in real life, remind me NOT to shake your hand. Lest I get any of that on me!!

I had a boat die like that. Mine died on the water with friends aboard. Felt like the coil went out, but she never even tried to start back up, so I knew it wasn't the coil. Friendly folks towed me back to dock. Got the boat trailered and off the water and went to looking the next day. Couldn't find anything out of place, searched for hours, even replaced the coil just in case. Was laying under the console scratching my head looking for wires out of place (really just laying there to get out of the sun for a bit while looking at wires as a last resort). Reached up and grabbed the wires into the back of the ignition switch; saw a little spark on one that was loose hiding behind the others, and she croaked and tried to kick over!! So I pulled all the wires off, cleaned them up, reattached and she started right up!!

The facepalms were heavy that day, and this reinforced why I HATE chasing down electrical issues!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 01-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #23
Site Team

I stopped at a rest area a couple years ago for a pit stop, pulling my Jayco.
When I came back out it would not start. Batteries were so hot I could not touch them. Disconnected the batteries and called a road service.

The starter had shorted out internally and ruined both batteries. New Starter, and 2 new batteries for the PSD. That was one expensive pit stop!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #24

Ya it is amazing how stuff just suddenly happens. U always start simple and go from there. Having two separate battery systems with good voltage who would think both had bad internals same time. Was kinda nice sitting back having some cold ones while being towed.
Giving out free handshakes who’s first!!!! Gotta pass this luck on.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Ya it is amazing how stuff just suddenly happens. U always start simple and go from there. Having two separate battery systems with good voltage who would think both had bad internals same time. Was kinda nice sitting back having some cold ones while being towed.
Good thing we already checked Florida off the list. Now I won't have to worry about bumping into you and catching any of your luck!! LOL!!

But I'm impressed you have such a great attitude about all of it. Because really, what else can you do. Kinda like when things happen that are completely out of your control, sometimes all you can do is sit back and laugh about it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Wow...had our Onan installed by an authorized dealer and guess what, it has a gas tank and right next to our 4 batteries - separated by sheet metal!
That's how our PINNACLE came from the factory too...
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #27

Quote:
No worries Rock, personally I'm just thankful to wake up in the morning. Everything else will fall into place eventually.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #28

Just like mine and all the rest.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #29

Yup on that. Everytime I wake up on this side of the earth is a good day, some days r just better than others.
Rock
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #30

Go to Cummings, that’s what I did when I had a hard starting issue. It was superb!
Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #31

LOL!!
My Honda generator, mower, outboard motor, pickup all have a gas tank and a battery.
I'm doomed!
Old 01-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #32

You need to run from that dealer. The title of your post is correct!
Old 01-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #33

I dealt with the one in Middlebury. Would never deal with them again. Walked away from a deal because they became very rude after they had deposit.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #34

I gather from the OP that the generator tech is concerned about the location of the generator's fuel supply?

How does this explain a gas tank above the engine on typical Hondas? Or above the engine on a motorcycle? Or....well, you get the picture. Larger portable generators have electric start, gas tanks above the engine, and, virtually all motorcycles, ATVs and so on have electric start and fuel tanks gravity feeding to the engine.

So, my counsel is to threaten to sue for breach of contract and bad faith. But, on the other hand, as others suggested, get the hell out of there as soon as you can, and demand a substantial discount on the repair bill based on their failure to perform.

IF ANYTHING, THE GENERATOR TECH SHOULD BE ATTEMPTING TO REPAIR PERCEIVED SAFETY ISSUES WITH THE ONAN.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #35

I would write a nice letter to the dealer you bought the RV from, Jayco, Thor Industries (owner of Jayco), plus copy in your RV connections dealer that is doing the work.

I would politely state what was told you by the service writer. Ask them since your RV is so extremely unsafe, how they plan to rectify the situation and make it safe? Since this is a serious safety issue, it should be of no cost to you to make it safe to use. Ask if it has been reported to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration? Ask if there is a recall because of this safety issue? You can look for yourself, there are none.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/JAYCO/PINNACLE

I believe in the end, you will find that the service writer is full of it.

We bought our TT from RV Connections in Middlebury, IN and had no issues with them or their warranty service. We did have issues with another local dealership chain. After the warranty, I've done everything myself.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #36

Generator time bomb

Still deciding to call my insurance and claim RV is unsafe and let them deal with these idiots. I would hope someone up there food chain would not be happy. What do u think of the insurance route to make a point?

It's not an insurance problem until after your FW blows up Most policies I've read cover the resulting damage but not the cause. The cause is considered maintenance. Happy camping!!
Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #37

I would send a letter to the DOT.
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Old 01-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #38

I think i found a picture of this RV tech from his college(?) days!
Attached Thumbnails
rv tech.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Old 01-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #39

No doubt about it this RV tech is from a Washington DC,,,,and when he was a small child his Moma threw him under the school bus. Bad thing is he survived and now he thinks he is a Genius...
Old 01-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #40

Next time I go to Panama City I am going to service dept and we will be having a one on one. He has to drive a bike or a Flintstone car.
Closed Thread