Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2023, 09:01 PM   #1

How to do you safely lift a 5th wheel

I need to raise the camper about 2 inches. I thought about bigger tires on the trailer. I still might go this route. I have already adjusted the hitch as low as I can safely adjust it. I have also lowered the leaf springs to the lowest setting on the shackle.

Right now the camper is nose high by two inches.

The picture is before taller tires on the truck. I dont have a picture with the new tires and camper yet.
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpeg  
Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:21 PM   #2

You may not be able to put taller tires on your trailer, because some of the tires are really close together as it is, so that is going to be something to consider.

I'm not saying that I condone these practices, but some flip axles over on the trailer, if they are not already on the bottom, OR, if they are on the bottom, they install spacers and longer u-bolts to raise the whole thing up.

You already had a tall truck when it was stock. The 2020+ GM's are TALL. Our 2021 37MDQS on our stock 2020 Chevy sits slightly nose high as well. However, I can't do anything about it, because we barely clear our shed door, so raising the attitude of the camper is not an option. I guess lowering the truck might be an option, LOL...
Old 01-15-2023, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
You may not be able to put taller tires on your trailer, because some of the tires are really close together as it is, so that is going to be something to consider.

I'm not saying that I condone these practices, but some flip axles over on the trailer, if they are not already on the bottom, OR, if they are on the bottom, they install spacers and longer u-bolts to raise the whole thing up.

You already had a tall truck when it was stock. The 2020+ GM's are TALL. Our 2021 37MDQS on our stock 2020 Chevy sits slightly nose high as well. However, I can't do anything about it, because we barely clear our shed door, so raising the attitude of the camper is not an option. I guess lowering the truck might be an option, LOL...
I could gain a little on tire height but not enough that I think it will matter.
My axles are under the springs and the leafs are all the way down as is.
I may look into blocks.

I have had lowered trucks in the past. I , for a short minute, thought about lowering this truck a little. I decided to keep the man card and find a solution to the nose high camper.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:51 PM   #4

A little nose high on the trailer is better than nose low.
Larger tires on the trailer is a bad idea since they are kinda close from the factory.
Raising the trailer,... what is your measured height now? It looks like you have one A/C unit and that's where I'd be taking measurements from since that will be your highest point, right now. If you decide to add a front A/C unit, that front unit will be higher than the center unit.
My Northpoint was just a fuzz under 13' 4" measured off my front A/C unit. My trailer had a National safety recall for the springs on it being under weight. They swapped out all the spring packs from a 5 pack to a 7 pack. The wrench at the dealer that did all the work told me it would increase the height on my trailer by 2". He.was right. I re measured mine and I'm right at max legal height of 13' 6".
As if 13-4 wasnt bad enough going down roads barely clearing overhanging tree limbs and such.
IMO, GM engineers need to rethink what they are doing to their trucks. They build them to tow/haul but they have them sitting so tall its becoming more difficult to do the tasks they were built to do.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
IMO, GM engineers need to rethink what they are doing to their trucks. They build them to tow/haul but they have them sitting so tall its becoming more difficult to do the tasks they were built to do.
I think that the Fords are just as high. The new HD trucks are just tall!!

Our 2020 3500HD only clears our 7' garage door by about 3/4". It is really really close. Truck is totally stock...
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:22 PM   #6

Quote:
A little nose high on the trailer is better than nose low.
Larger tires on the trailer is a bad idea since they are kinda close from the factory.
Raising the trailer,... what is your measured height now? It looks like you have one A/C unit and that's where I'd be taking measurements from since that will be your highest point, right now. If you decide to add a front A/C unit, that front unit will be higher than the center unit.
My Northpoint was just a fuzz under 13' 4" measured off my front A/C unit. My trailer had a National safety recall for the springs on it being under weight. They swapped out all the spring packs from a 5 pack to a 7 pack. The wrench at the dealer that did all the work told me it would increase the height on my trailer by 2". He.was right. I re measured mine and I'm right at max legal height of 13' 6".
As if 13-4 wasnt bad enough going down roads barely clearing overhanging tree limbs and such.
Good point on the total height! I hadn’t thought of that. I will measure it. I wonder if I could have a spring shop make me some springs to lift the trailer if I have room?
Old 01-15-2023, 11:30 PM   #7

I just finished installing 5 leaf springs that Dexter sent me to replace the stock 4 leaf. So they're about a half inch thicker, but don't sag as much. I'm guessing it's at least 2" taller, and it's noticeable. I also installed Sumo springs, mainly to make the springs last longer before they flatten again.

Also, I saw a YouTube video where a guy put 2" plastic blocks between the springs and axles. That looked interesting.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Good point on the total height! I hadn’t thought of that. I will measure it. I wonder if I could have a spring shop make me some springs to lift the trailer if I have room?
I realize it's an investment, but if you would go back to the shorter tires, that would be a 1:1 gain on height. So, if your taller tires are 2" taller overall on the diameter, going to back to stock tires would gain you 1" at the truck, and lower the front of the trailer 1".

However, going up 2" on the trailer will NOT gain you the 2" that you need to get quite level, because that's further back on the trailer.

I don't have any idea how much springs are going to cost, but those can't be cheap either, and then you start to run I to other issues like height constraints...
Old 01-16-2023, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Don't think you need a spring shop to "make" some springs for you... just buy some longer springs. They aren't that expensive and honestly aren't that difficult to change yourself in your driveway with some jacks and hand tools. I bought 2 springs at a trailer dealer in NY when I broke a spring on a trip a couple years ago. Paid about $70 per spring. Bought 2 more online when I got home from the trip, paid a little bit less for those.

Buttigeig's supply chain issues have made things more expensive, but I would still guess under $100 per spring. Check your weight ratings and add some length to raise your trailer. Perhaps an email to etrailer.com or easternmarine.com to inquire about how long you need to get the lift you need.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:

Our 2020 3500HD only clears our 7' garage door by about 3/4". It is really really close. Truck is totally stock...
X2,
I'd guess HD trucks won't get much bigger if they don't fit in a standard garage door opening.
First thing I did was a test drive home to see if it would fit in my garage. I have about 1 inch height clearance and the mirrors must be folded in.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
X2,
I'd guess HD trucks won't get much bigger if they don't fit in a standard garage door opening.
First thing I did was a test drive home to see if it would fit in my garage. I have about 1 inch height clearance and the mirrors must be folded in.
I actually had to raise my garage door header and get a new garage door to fit inside
Old 01-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
X2,
Funny you guys mention this.
My uncle HAD a 2017 silverado 2500 and pulled a Cedar Creek 5th with it. Compared to his 2010, the 17 sat higher and made his 5er nose high. He was having issues with the 17 and was gonna broom it for a new 22 but found out they sit an inch higher than the 17 he had. He had no way of making the 5er higher to level it out without spending some big money. He ended up ordering a new Ford because it sat lower. I dont recall the specifics between the GM's and the Fords but he said his trailer sits much better on the Ford.
Regarding the garage doors,... back in 99 I lived in a house that had a 24x24 garage and it had a 7' door in it. I ordered a Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4. I REALLY wanted the cab marker lights. The height on a similar truck ar the dealer lot was like 6' 11". I didnt want to risk getting cab lights and that being the determining factor if the truck was gonna sit outside or inside, so I didnt get them. Turns out I could have got them and it would have just barely made it in, but if there was any snow buildup in front of the door or anything like that it would hit the header. A few years later we moved from that house and had a house custom built. I told the builder to modify the plans on the attached garage to make it a minimum 24x24 so my truck would fit and I wanted the door opening 8' high and 18' wide instead of the two 7x7 doors, that I'd have to get out and manually fold mirrors in, like the plans called for. He thought I was going a little overboard until he got it roughed in and I backed the truck into the garage. Then he saw what I was talking about, how it barely fit in length and would fits comfortably in height. Builders these days dont build attached garages for trucks or full size SUV's, they're more like a carriage house. Too short and narrow.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Funny you guys mention this.

Regarding the garage doors,... back in 99 I lived in a house that had a 24x24 garage and it had a 7' door in it. I ordered a Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4. I REALLY wanted the cab marker lights. The height on a similar truck ar the dealer lot was like 6' 11". I didnt want to risk getting cab lights and that being the determining factor if the truck was gonna sit outside or inside, so I didnt get them. Turns out I could have got them and it would have just barely made it in, but if there was any snow buildup in front of the door or anything like that it would hit the header. A few years later we moved from that house and had a house custom built. I told the builder to modify the plans on the attached garage to make it a minimum 24x24 so my truck would fit and I wanted the door opening 8' high and 18' wide instead of the two 7x7 doors, that I'd have to get out and manually fold mirrors in, like the plans called for. He thought I was going a little overboard until he got it roughed in and I backed the truck into the garage. Then he saw what I was talking about, how it barely fit in length and would fits comfortably in height. Builders these days dont build attached garages for trucks or full size SUV's, they're more like a carriage house. Too short and narrow.

I’m a builder and I have been building garages deeper and with larger doors. 26 feet is the minimum. With doors 8 tall and 10 wide. Which is big enough (albeit tight) to get a long bed crew cab dually in.

Flip side is that sometimes we have entry level buyers and they can’t afford the upgrades so we still build smaller ones when it’s requested.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
X2,
We have 9' doors, and the mirrors have to be folded in on our 2020 Chevy. Thank goodness we have power folding...
Old 01-16-2023, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
I actually had to raise my garage door header and get a new garage door to fit inside
Oh man, that would suck for sure. We CANNOT make our doors bigger because we have bricks and stone on the front. I guess can't may not be the right word, but darn expensive would be a better way to say it...
Old 01-16-2023, 05:46 PM   #16

Quote:
I’m a builder and I have been building garages deeper and with larger doors. 26 feet is the minimum. With doors 8 tall and 10 wide. Which is big enough (albeit tight) to get a long bed crew cab dually in.

Flip side is that sometimes we have entry level buyers and they can’t afford the upgrades so we still build smaller ones when it’s requested.
God bless you! Finally, a builder that does something right!
Tell your entry levelers to afford the extra garage space and skimp out on the carpet or some other useless crap they HAVE to have. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:
God bless you! Finally, a builder that does something right!
Tell your entry levelers to afford the extra garage space and skimp out on the carpet or some other useless crap they HAVE to have. Lol!
Agreed 100%!!

We bought our first house as a spec house, and that was a learning experience for sure.

We still ended up with only 7' high doors, but I could have never guessed 23 years ago that we would NEED 8' high doors!!!
Old 01-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #18

Quote:

Ford lowered the 2020 dually trucks by about an inch compared to the 2019 dually's specifically because of this issue. Trucks are just too tall to properly tow 5th wheel trailers, especially if they are older trailers that were designed for shorter trucks.

I don't think Ford lowered the single wheel trucks, just the dually's. When you park a 2020 dually next to a 2019 dually, you can see the difference.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
Ford lowered the 2020 dually trucks by about an inch compared to the 2019 dually's specifically because of this issue. Trucks are just too tall to properly tow 5th wheel trailers, especially if they are older trailers that were designed for shorter trucks.

I don't think Ford lowered the single wheel trucks, just the dually's. When you park a 2020 dually next to a 2019 dually, you can see the difference.
Interesting...
Old 01-21-2023, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post

My neighbor has a really nice diesel 350 Ford dually. It cost a lot more and is way better for towing than our gas 250.
But ours sits higher, and our neighbor's teenage son asked his dad why he can't a cool truck like ours.
And that's why they make them so ridiculously high.