Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Inverter Install

Have Eagle RSTS could it be this easy to hook up the power side of my pure sine wave invert-er to the breaker which powers the plug in for my TV.In are other camper we just used an extension cord.We also have a 275 watt PV panel and 30 watt controller.Thanks for any suggestions!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

How to install Inverter

We have an Eagle RSTS 275 PV panel 30 amp controller.Have question on Inverter.Just need 12 volt power for TV.If I find the breaker for the TV,can I simply hook up power side wires from inverter to that breaker and have a 12 volt plug.In are last camper we used an extension cord.Thanks for any feed back!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We have an Eagle RSTS 275 PV panel 30 amp controller.Have question on Inverter.Just need 12 volt power for TV.If I find the breaker for the TV,can I simply hook up power side wires from inverter to that breaker and have a 12 volt plug.In are last camper we used an extension cord.Thanks for any feed back!
This would not be safe. Connecting it as you described in your question would power your entire AC system from the inverter, and could also injure a workman working on power lines as AC power from your inverter travels backward into the lines; and would also cause 120 volt power to be on the pins of your power umbilical plug. Plugging the TV into whatever source of power you want to use (the inverter or a regular 120 volt outlet) eliminates this possibility. There should be no connection from the inverter to your 120 volt A/C wiring without an automatic disconnect switch (expensive, and probably not really necessary for your application).

Another possibility is to run 120 volt power from the inverter to a location nearby the TV using reqular Romex wiring cable. This may be a better option than just plugging the TV into the inverter, if it would allow the DC wiring to the inverter to be shorter (due to voltage drop issues). Do use properly sized DC wiring and a fuse for the inverter.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
This would not be safe. Connecting it as you described in your question would power your entire AC system from the inverter, and could also injure a workman working on power lines as AC power from your inverter travels backward into the lines; and would also cause 120 volt power to be on the pins of your power umbilical plug. Plugging the TV into whatever source of power you want to use (the inverter or a regular 120 volt outlet) eliminates this possibility. There should be no connection from the inverter to your 120 volt A/C wiring without an automatic disconnect switch (expensive, and probably no really necessary for your application).

Another possibility is to run 120 volt power from the inverter to a location nearby the TV using reqular Romex wiring cable. This may be a better option than just plugging the TV into the inverter, if it would allow the DC wiring to the inverter to be shorter (due to voltage drop issues). Do use properly sized DC wiring and a fuse for the inverter.
Question even through we are plugging inverter to only the breaker that powers that plug?I think its a 15 amp for that plug.I have a bunch of 8 gage wire its a lot of work to fish wire it back to the TV in the rear of the camper.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Picture on post

I bet its real simple why is my picture of my camper not showing up with post?Its down loaded!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Question even through we are plugging inverter to only the breaker that powers that plug?I think its a 15 amp for that plug.I have a bunch of 8 gage wire its a lot of work to fish wire it back to the TV in the rear of the camper.
I'm not an electrician but: the breaker connects ultimately to your trailer umbilical- that's its normal source of power. So yes, if you connected a 120 volt source of power (from your inverter) to the breaker you'd energize your umbilical, pins in the umbilical plug, and all of your 120 volt trailer wiring, and the lineman fixing the power outage.

I agree fully that fishing wire in a trailer is a pain. Heck, fishing wire anywhere is a pain.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

We simply used a short piece of romex cable and ran it from the inverter and installed an outlet near the bedroom television and then made up a short extension cord to the TV.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
The SAFETY FIRST answer is "NO". When you connect the inverter's 110VAC output to that breaker it will distribute 110VAC to all other breakers, outlets, Air Conditioner, microwave in the TT. If you connect to shore power with the inverter connected to that breaker, it could get interesting (electrically).

Should someone accidently turn on the microwave or AC... things will get Smokey by the inverter. (based on the assumption that you are only going to install a small 300Watt inverter for the TV)

Best bet (as mentioned) is to run a Romex cable from the inverter to a newly installed 110VAC outlet by the media center. Ideally, for best results, the inverter should be as close to the battery(s) as possible. You want your longest wire run on the 110VAC leg of the circuit.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote