Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #41

I have the 31’ RLTS Eagle HT fifth wheel with one 15k btu ac. We’ve been camping in mid 90° weather and haven’t had a problem keeping cool. A second ac is just overkill to me....especially since it sits right in the bedroom. You’ll be fine. Keep the shades down on the sunny side of the coach.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #42

If you think a 2nd A/C unit is not needed then you better Never come to Florida to camp in a RV. Because you must have 2 A/C’s to survive in Florida if your RV is longer than 20 Ft. If you are longer than 40 Ft. I recommend 3 A/C’s for summer time camping..Remember in Florida when temp is 90 degrees humidity is 80 to 90 percent.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #43

1. Anyone install the Micro Air Easy start to help your AC unit compressor's longevity? Of course if you add a generator later it's great for that as well. But I'm mainly interested in utilizing it to help AC compressor. If you have one, which model? I went on Amazon and there were a couple models.

2. I've heard to always use the "RUN" setting on the thermostat vs the "AUTO" setting. It's suppose to be easier on your AC unit. The RV units are NOT like your home systems in which the "Auto" setting is what you always use so that you have a constant temp.

3. Anyone have their windows tinted with ceramic coating? Suppose to be great for keeping out the heat and still allow your gorgeous views out your windows (which by the way is why we RV, right?) We used the silver reflective stuff but I don't like it because you loose your view!

All above ideas will should potentially help keep your RV cooler hopefully. We live in Texas and we deal constantly with HEAT/HUMIDITY!!!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Hi
Other things you can do to help...

Run the bathroom exhaust fan constantly

RoadrunnerII
Do yo mean to open the vent and run the exhaust fan? Would seem to suck the cold air out?
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #45

Fans lots of fans to push the cold air around. (Block stairs don’t kids can’t get in &#128514
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #46

Cool it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun N Fun View Post
...what tricks or mods have you found to keep your camper cool?
Duct board. Glued reflective R-6 duct board to the ceiling (roof) and outside walls inside the cabinets. Used to open the cabinets and the hot air would roll out...now, not so much. Went to Palo Duro Canyon a few weeks ago and it was 108 outside, was able to maintain 77 inside, 15k unit. Opening the LOWER cabinets now yields the heat the same way the overheads did. Also put the same insulation on the bedsides underneath in the basement. Figured the mattress is insulation enough for the bed platform. Have yet to do the under bed storage, will accomplish that at some future time when I relocate the air return on the house from a 15" round tube in the hall to a 24X16 square duct. Reflective window shades help the most, I've made them for every TT I've had, and tint...mine came tinted, 15% on the west windows on my 5th with lots of exposure.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
This is what I did, I went through all of my vent and tape them all up it's better.
I tried it too but I guess I got a good install because everything I checked was good per the video. I had high hopes that I would see an improvement.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
If you think a 2nd A/C unit is not needed then you better Never come to Florida to camp in a RV. Because you must have 2 A/C’s to survive in Florida if your RV is longer than 20 Ft. If you are longer than 40 Ft. I recommend 3 A/C’s for summer time camping..Remember in Florida when temp is 90 degrees humidity is 80 to 90 percent.
Nah, been there don’t that. It’s no hotter than GA SC or even NY in the summer. 95° with 100% humidity is the same everywhere. The one ac does just fine. If 15k BTU won’t cool your coach, somethings wrong. But if you need to make it 50°, maybe a second unit may be a good idea.
Joenissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenissan View Post
Nah, been there don’t that. It’s no hotter than GA SC or even NY in the summer. 95° with 100% humidity is the same everywhere. The one ac does just fine. If 15k BTU won’t cool your coach, somethings wrong. But if you need to make it 50°, maybe a second unit may be a good idea.
We live in the Houston, TX area. Today we have a heat index of 103 with 85% humidity. IT'S HOT! I have 2 units but only run the 15k. It would be a bit cooler with the second one but it would only really help in the bedroom and we are not in there. The thermo is set for 75 and with an upright fan the living area is very comfortable. The fan really makes a difference and uses less electricity than a second a/c.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
Do yo mean to open the vent and run the exhaust fan? Would seem to suck the cold air out?
Hot air rises... Cold air falls. If you pull the hot air out the ceiling the fold will displace it... Once trailer is cooled down I turn the fan on lowest setting

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
That's what I did.
Some minds think alike!

Ours was out of desperation when CW took their own sweet time and screwed us around on replacing our broken AC unit. They took many weeks to get our Front AC unit that went out. We had a trip planned that we were not going to miss.

Did this setup work as good as the 15k unit on the roof??? unfortunately, it only helped a little as the heat on the exhaust duct that needs to blow outside... has no insulation at all.

We gave it away to our buddy Ron who has a toy hauler for him to set up in the garage area when he has lots of grandkids visiting. He vented it right out the side where it has a 3" exhaust duct and very little heat stays inside.
Attached Thumbnails
20170610_220412.jpg   20170610_220514.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I've seen mini splits installed on bus conversions. I have no clue about how level they need to be. They run them off the genny while driving.

The one we have in our bedroom can freeze you out, and seem extremely energy efficient, and ultra quiet.

Power might be the bigger issue. I'd need to check my home breaker box, but I believe it is 220 volt 20 amp.

Were we stay, shore power would be an issue.
They do make them for 120v service
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #53

AC

If a person could add a 120 volt line to the rear vent and have a plug on the outside or in a compartment. The second AC unit could be plugged in the 120 volt 20 amp at the campground
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun N Fun View Post
Preparing to camp in this heat wave, I am regreating that I didn't order the second A/C unit and have concerns about the A/C keeping up. I am installing a aluminum backed bubble wrap to the windows for an additional R4.5 and pushing foam into my roof vent. Aside from the obvious door monitoring for children who want to go in and out 19 times per hour, what tricks or mods have you found to keep your camper cool?

Do this little improvement of your duct work;

https://youtu.be/rxCljBVi8DU

I have one ceiling unit and did this and it definitely helped! I pulled out some big chunks of styrofoam also! Also Buy some of that foil duct tape, the kind you have to peel the backing from.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #55

I did this two weeks ago when I had the ant problem in the ceiling. The foil tape job Jayco did was horrible. I re-did all of it
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #56

Thinking the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
That's what I did.
I was thinking of that too.
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #57

Thinking the same idea.
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #58

I have two ACs, but the place we're staying only offers 30 amp service so we can only use one at a time. We decided to buy a portable evaporative cooler (some call them swamp coolers) to use in conjunction with one of the ACs (the evap pulls less than 1 amp). We also bought a dehumidifier to keep the moisture level down in the trailer and make the cooler more effective.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujonaut View Post
I have two ACs, but the place we're staying only offers 30 amp service so we can only use one at a time. We decided to buy a portable evaporative cooler (some call them swamp coolers) to use in conjunction with one of the ACs (the evap pulls less than 1 amp). We also bought a dehumidifier to keep the moisture level down in the trailer and make the cooler more effective.
I’m curious doesn’t an evaporative cooler add moisture to the air? Does it make your RV damp?, Is that why you also run a dehumidifier?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I’m curious doesn’t an evaporative cooler add moisture to the air? Does it make your RV damp?, Is that why you also run a dehumidifier?
Exactly what I was thinking.

Jayflight 34RSBS