Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #21

We have a similar expensive surge protector. I secure it to the power post with a fairly small diameter cable with a loop and lock on each end. The cable remains attached to the device which has a metal connector around the cable for a lock. The other end is usually locked to the post box, or around the post under the box. As others have said, this will not stop a determined thief, but will deter an opportunist. We have always found campgrounds to be quite safe, but it is the old story - it's not the 98% who would not think of ripping off a surge protector, it's the 2% who could not resist an easy target.
roblaura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #22

I use an insulated chain, wrap it around the trailer cable just before the plug and lock it, then wrap the other end around the cable at the bottom of the portable EMS where the trailer plug connects to the EMS plug and lock it.

It is at least a deterrent.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I use an insulated chain, wrap it around the trailer cable just before the plug and lock it, then wrap the other end around the cable at the bottom of the portable EMS where the trailer plug connects to the EMS plug and lock it.

It is at least a deterrent.
I’m sorry but I don’t know what an insulated chain is. Can you elaborate and even better if you have a pic that would be great
Thank you
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
I’m sorry but I don’t know what an insulated chain is. Can you elaborate and even better if you have a pic that would be great
Thank you
Plastic coated
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
There isn't a lock on the planet that is safe, since the advent of these:
Attachment 46553
It will quietly cut through just about anything.

The best bet is to get a built-in hardwired protection device.
A can of liquid nitrogen and a hammer work faster and quieter. Freeze the lock and smash with a hammer. Brother-in-law works HVAC, its amazing what some of these chemicals are capable of doing.

OP, its a little late now but I would have recommended a hardwired surge suppressor. I've had items disappear from a campsite before. Leaving things laying around is ripe for abuse. Putting a lock of some sort will make it harder to steal your item, which is what you want. Make it so its easier to steal from the guy next to you, rather than from you. If a thief wants it, he's taking it...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #26
Site Team

Personally I talk to a lot of fellow rv'ers and have never heard of one being stolen from a pedestal.

Not that it does not happen, but it is a low likely hood, based on my personal experience. I often do not lock mine, unless someone came around asking if anyone ever stole it before?

I must have an honest face.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
Plastic coated
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Thank you
Correct, it is a plastic coated chain.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #28

Why do you want to lock it up for, campers are the most friendliness, kind people you want to meet, lol.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Personally I talk to a lot of fellow rv'ers and have never heard of one being stolen from a pedestal.

Not that it does not happen, but it is a low likely hood, based on my personal experience. I often do not lock mine, unless someone came around asking if anyone ever stole it before?

I must have an honest face.
At 9 years full time my PT50X has never grown legs. It was a PT50C initially, but was replaced with the X model after it's last time back to the hospital.

I have asked this before, but does anyone here know anyone or have heard of anyone who actually had their EMS stolen? This question has been asked by me many times and I have never had a positive response. I think EMS units walking off is a non issue. It certainly is for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #30

IMO the theft of an EMS is most likely done on spur of the moment which means not by someone with power tools or bolt cutter. I protect my Surge Guard with 2' of chain and a padlock through the metal link on the EMS and around the power pedistal.

The Surge Guard 34930 worked in the first month after I got it when it refused to "power-up" when I plugged into a miswired pedistal. It only takes 10 seconds to do its "power test" so quick and easy.

Video on one way to secure the EMS
Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #31
75H

Preventing theft

To keep things simple, we use a quality long shackle padlock to secure the metal ring of the protector to the RV power cord. Of course if someone uses bolt cutters on the RV cord, we'll have two problems to deal with....

On a long trip last year, we landed an overnight spot next to someone using our 'assigned' sewer inlet. This inconsiderate neighbor did us a favor: I immediately realized it would also be a good idea to mark all of our removable connectors, adaptors, hoses, EMS, etc.

This also serve as a theft deterrent, and in the case of a dispute about ownersip, a simple marking from a Sharpie resolves that!
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #32

We have a friend in the locksmith business & purchased locks from him that are supposed to be difficult to near impossible to cut. We also have the plastic cover that covers over the plug to cover it. We lock both the pedestal & the plastic cover. If there is no locking hole in the pedestal, will use a bicycle cable. We have been using one for 11 years & no issues.

We did inquire about having one installed in our previous 5vr & were discouraged by our service tech. Don't remember why but trust his judgement.

We have been to some state/local campgrounds that people who are not camping will walk through & that is okay. But makes one wonder are they really just walking through for say exercise or are they walking through to scope out things. A group of us were camping together & one of them put their cooler behind their trailer under the ramp (Class C toy hauler). It was gone the next morning.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote