Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #21

Look, there are many choices at play here. I simply wanted to point out to the OP that there are cheaper ways to get HD in the camper than what he is contemplating. He is looking at the most expensive possible solution.
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck0255 View Post
Look, there are many choices at play here. I simply wanted to point out to the OP that there are cheaper ways to get HD in the camper than what he is contemplating. He is looking at the most expensive possible solution.
I do appreciate your comments. Thanks
Rear View Safety Camera
Winegard Trav'ler DirectTV HD Model:SK-SWM3
Steadyfast Stabilizing System
Progressive Industries 50 AMP EMS
boyzx3iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyzx3iii View Post
Fellow Campers:

These are really great suggestions and I appreciate the feedback. Just one more supplemental question........my intent is to get the Trav'ler DirecTV SWM dish with the automatic positioning. Do you think there are any issues with it "not" being "permanently" mounted. In other words, could I use either the tripod option or the attachment to the back ladder? I currently use a tripod with a Slimline dish but the "positioning and access of signal" is too big of a PIA to do every stop.

Phil
I'm not sure but I think with the Trav'ler DirecTV SWM dish with the automatic positioning you lose out on high def signals, in other words only standard derfinition picture. I travel with the tripod also because I am an nfl addict and have the nfl package. I would not think of watching standard definition anymore! lol Never had much problem setting up the dish.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I'm not sure but I think with the Trav'ler DirecTV SWM dish with the automatic positioning you lose out on high def signals, in other words only standard derfinition picture. I travel with the tripod also because I am an nfl addict and have the nfl package. I would not think of watching standard definition anymore! lol Never had much problem setting up the dish.
Thanks for the reply but I'm 99.9% sure that the SK-SWM is the only "automatic" DirecTV dish that gets HD. It better be.....I just got one while TV FOR MY RV had them on sale.
Rear View Safety Camera
Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #25

The pros that sell the dishes only charge $100.00 to do the install. or 0.5% of the cost so why not let them do it?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
The pros that sell the dishes only charge $100.00 to do the install. or 0.5% of the cost so why not let them do it?
Thanks! Sounds like a plan!
Rear View Safety Camera
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #27

RE: How to run a Satellite Cable

It all depends what model trailer you have and where you are going to locate the antenna with respect to the TV equipment. I have a 2014 38FLFS Jayco Pinnacle with the front living room so the natural place to locate the antenna was near the front of the trailer. The wires were run down through the front cabinets to the Satellite receiver. I have Dish so I used the Dish Traveler antenna and I love the convenience. You can get a pretty good price break from Adventurerv.net. That's where I got mine. Dish is about $300.00 cheaper than Direct but they are lots cheaper than Camper World. I had a 2012 36RETS Pinnacle and put my own dish on but I bought my own and had the dealer install this own. It is easy to install though. The hardest part is getting it up on the roof. On the 2012 I had to run the wires down through the rear cap and in behind the tail light on the left rear side but it wasn't too hard. My dealer showed me where to run the wires. Hope this helps. Here is a URL to the Adventure RV site: http://www.adventurerv.net/winegard-...05-p-4395.html

Scotty39
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #28

Scott39.....thanks alot for the reply. I considered Adventure RV but with shipping, they were more expensive than TVFORMYRV. Nonetheless, my 2013 361REQS has the living area in the back. Of course, my initial thought was to locate the antenna near the back BUT my main concern was getting to the cables. I have the fireplace with TV above it. If you remove the TV, you can see that there is a "access" area where the cables go to the Entertainment Center. What I was wondering was whether this area would have direct access to the roof above it. Then I could just drop the cables down for TV and Power. The 5er is not here and is in storage but I am trying to develop a plan for "better weather" conditions. Thanks for any additional support you can provide.
Rear View Safety Camera
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #29

bpuzx3ii I had a 2012 Pinnacle 36RETS with essentially the same setup as your 36RETS with the 40"TV coming up out of the fireplace, rear living room. I mounted my Dish Trave'lr 1000 antenna just in front of my rear air conditioner. My Jayco dealer showed me to drill about a 3/4" hole right as the curvature of the back crown begins just left of center of the roof. I then removed the left tail light and drilled a 1" hole through the back wall into the entertainment cabinet for the wires to come through. I ran a fish tape (about 1/8"-3/16") down through the top hole over to the left side of the trailer and down to the area of the tail light. I was able to hook the fish tape with a piece of wire coat hanger. I then tied a piece of curtain rope and pulled it back up with the fish tape. Pull the control cable down first with the rope. Then pull the coax cables down one at a time. It is easier without coax connectors on the bottom end. I pulled all three coax cables down as I use three receivers with my Dish system. One dual DVR and two single DVR receivers. At least you would have the capability for the future as it would be next impossible after you caulk them. When they are all pulled down, just push them through the hole behind the taillight and remount the taillight. You mount the plate over the hole on top of the roof and caulk it to prevent leaks where the cables enter. I tied my cables from the antenna with nylon tie-wrap cord and put cable clamps about every 3 feet to keep it from flopping. Overall it made for a nice install. Hope this makes it a little clearer.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #30

There has only been a couple of comments here about putting the DISH on the RV roof issues... This could be a very big deal. Not only the drilling holes in the roof issues most folks like park under the shade anywhere they can to get better air cinditioning control inside the trailer. This will most likly shade you SAT DISH as well and really do a number on you receiving any SAT SIGNALs.

Not saying this should not be done but you need to know this is a big issue with alot of SAT TV users in the RV WORLD. The answer is the portable dish setup that allows you to move the SAT DISH out in the area away from tree cover using a 150-foot long RG cable. This of course creates another situation of your DISH SETUP being safe from thief. Especially if it is one of those high dollar units you are talking about using.

I brought my bedroom SAT RCVRS and portable dish setup along with us on many ocassions and used my home DIRECTV acct with very good results here on the East side of the USA. My DISH SETUP of course was always outside in plain view and never had it stolen. We would always moved it out of sight when leaving the trailer but that always made us go thru the setup again when we got back.

When the NATL TV went digital we started getting all of our local CBS-NBC-ABC-FOX-PBS broadcast TV shows OTA in full high def mode using the BATWING antenna on the RV from the local towns near us. Since our SAT TV was standard TV mode we finally just stopped bringing it along with us. We like to watch the NATIOANL BROADCAST HDTV stations more anyway... Today if we need to watch a cable station when camping off the power grid we will downstream it using the internet. This of course requires a bigger DATAPLAN however with your internet service.

The NATIONAL BROADCAST digital stations from the local towns is all for FREE to the public and we get 6-36 digital stations from our OTA BATWING setup just about everywhere we go.

Just more food for thought here on which way to pursue...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #31

Serfas01......WOW......if you had sent drawings, I would recommend you for Replyer of the Year. Anyway, thank you very much and I have to read it slowly and deliberately. This was exactly the advice I needed!
Rear View Safety Camera
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #32

RoyBraddy....Thank you for your reply and I do agree with you. My plan is to use my wing antenna for the locals and my dish on the roof for DirecTV. I then plan to use my outside Sat connection for a portable dish when trees are a problem. Needless to say, we are TV watchers and I want to give us the best opportunity. Appreciate your candidness.
Rear View Safety Camera