Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Cool How to run Cable from the Roof to the Inside of 5er?

First of all, I did contact Jayco for specifics and they politely advised that since my 5er was still under warranty, they couldn't advise. However, they said there are many ways of doing it. I want to install a sat dish on the roof. I have researched extensively the forums but I don't see any advice for running the cable. I know that a hole must be drilled in the roof but how do you access it from there? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
boyzx3iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Sort of depends on the proposed satellite location and where your TV is. On my previous rig the TV was in a cabinet beside the stairs to the bedroom. It was simple to locate the dish close enough to the cabinet to fish a wire through a cut out in the back wall of the TV enclosure to the roof. My present rig has the TV in the slide out, greatly complicating any added wiring. Fortunately is was pre wired for satellite if I choose to go that way.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Question, are you going to use the uhf/digital antenna that came with the 5er?

If you are not going to use that antenna, why not disconnect the coax at the antenna (that feeds through the roof and to your media center), get a barrel connector and hook that to your Satellite antenna and use that cable into your trailer. You will need to just rewire around your signal amp (in the media center) that comes with the standard antenna. You can also install an A/B coax switch to allow you to switch between Satellite and cable.
That would probably be the easiest way. The coax is the same for both satellite and regular cable and will carry the voltage needed to align the dish.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Question, are you going to use the uhf/digital antenna that came with the 5er?

If you are not going to use that antenna, why not disconnect the coax at the antenna (that feeds through the roof and to your media center), get a barrel connector and hook that to your Satellite antenna and use that cable into your trailer. You will need to just rewire around your signal amp (in the media center) that comes with the standard antenna. You can also install an A/B coax switch to allow you to switch between Satellite and cable.
That would probably be the easiest way. The coax is the same for both satellite and regular cable and will carry the voltage needed to align the dish.
Don

My plan was to keep the digital antenna for any local stations (wherever we are camping). I have the cable on the side of the 5er to use for a portable dish IF the rooftop dish is obstructed. Your suggestion was a great one if there was a way to split the signal on the roof? I was hoping to "have my cake and eat it too".
Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
Sort of depends on the proposed satellite location and where your TV is. On my previous rig the TV was in a cabinet beside the stairs to the bedroom. It was simple to locate the dish close enough to the cabinet to fish a wire through a cut out in the back wall of the TV enclosure to the roof. My present rig has the TV in the slide out, greatly complicating any added wiring. Fortunately is was pre wired for satellite if I choose to go that way.
My TV cabinet is in the back of the 5er. My concern was what was "underneath" the roof and would a cable just drop from the roof to the back of the entertainment system?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

I like the idea of using the coax cable from the roof tv antenna. The only issue I foresee, is that you will not be able to receive over the air broadcasting. If you want to use the roof antenna too, then if your refrigerator has a roof top vent, you could run the cable down that existing penetration; from there you have a few options, depending on your 5ver layout. You could run the cable through cabinets alongside existing wiring and piping runs. Or do down below the floor to the cargo hold or under the 5vers floor and run it across the trailer to where you want it to come back up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Can you mount the Satellite Ant near the ladder on the roof of the5er? You could then run the cable down the ladder, under TT and come up through the floor to where ever your media center is.
Just a thought
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Here's how we do it. Tailgator on a mast mount, hooked to the regular cable coax input. If blocked by trees, we put it on a tripod. Very quick, very easy and no holes in the roof!
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #9

I would opt for the tripod also. With a roof mount, if you have to park under trees, you may not get a good signal. On a tripod, you have the option to move it around.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #10

Fellow Campers:

These are really great suggestions and I appreciate the feedback. Just one more supplemental question........my intent is to get the Trav'ler DirecTV SWM dish with the automatic positioning. Do you think there are any issues with it "not" being "permanently" mounted. In other words, could I use either the tripod option or the attachment to the back ladder? I currently use a tripod with a Slimline dish but the "positioning and access of signal" is too big of a PIA to do every stop.

Phil
Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #11

The Trav'ler is HUGELY expensive for what it does. Either the Tailgater or the Winegard Carryout do the same thing for far less money.
Dual Pane Windows
Macerator system
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck0255 View Post
The Trav'ler is HUGELY expensive for what it does. Either the Tailgater or the Winegard Carryout do the same thing for far less money.
I have DIRECTV and I want HD. I thought the Trav'ler was my only option?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

I don't know anything about HD as I have an old setup but trying to help. If you look at this Camping World page it describes the tailgaiter as being an HD dish.

Automatic satellite acquisition with no separate remote control or power source required. Just connect the Tailgater to your DISH VIP211z HD receiver (sold separately) via the supplied 50' coaxial cable and in minutes you’re watching your favorite satellite TV shows in crystal clear HDTV. The custom designed user interface with on-screen graphics is an exclusive feature you won’t find with other mobile antennas and makes set-up effortless. No need to reconfigure the receiver when you take it back and forth between your home and RV. With the Tailgater, receiver configuration is automatic – no more check switches! Just place it anywhere in your campsite with a clear view to the southern sky. It even tells you if the satellite signal is partially or completely blocked via on-screen diagnostics. Less than half the price of other automatic satellite antennas and without all the set-up hassles. For reception of DISH SD and HD programming - See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping....PgzWtdR8.dpuf
Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Oops, just noticed that one is for Dish TV.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #15

The Carryout will give you DirecTV in HD.
Dual Pane Windows
Macerator system
Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #16

Quote:
The Carryout will give you DirecTV in HD.
Unfortunately it will not. Only standard definition for Direct , HD for Dish and Bell Vue.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #17

Correct, I got my wires crossed up.

We have Dish and have used both the Carryout and the Tailgater. When we had the Carryout we used DirecTV, and we then switched to Dish in order to get HD. We then switched to the Tailgater dish.

We prefer the Tailgater over the Carryout, and the Dish HD works just great. As originally stated, it is a FAR cheaper way to get HD satellite than the Trav'ler Slimline. Those things are big bucks!!
Dual Pane Windows
Macerator system
Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Correct, I got my wires crossed up.

We have Dish and have used both the Carryout and the Tailgater. When we had the Carryout we used DirecTV, and we then switched to Dish in order to get HD. We then switched to the Tailgater dish.

We prefer the Tailgater over the Carryout, and the Dish HD works just great. As originally stated, it is a FAR cheaper way to get HD satellite than the Trav'ler Slimline. Those things are big bucks!!

I can't argue at all with your premise EXCEPT it doesn't make sense to get Dish when we have DirecTV thru the house.....at least I don't think so?
Rear View Safety Camera
Winegard Trav'ler DirectTV HD Model:SK-SWM3
Steadyfast Stabilizing System
Progressive Industries 50 AMP EMS
Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

MY buddy was set up to receive DTVHD in his rig and his dish on a tripod was a nightmare to aim correctly. I'd sure want the automated aiming if I had to have HD with Direct TV.

My standard DTV 18" round dish is so easy to aim it's not a challenge, normally and I can't see well enough to need HD anyway
Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyzx3iii View Post
I can't argue at all with your premise EXCEPT it doesn't make sense to get Dish when we have DirecTV thru the house.....at least I don't think so?
Well, in our case it did. We were paying nearly $200 a month for DirecTV at the house. The Dish service, which you can turn on and off when you don't use it, is about $80/month as I recall.

What I did was to eliminate the DirecTV service altogether, and I simply connect the Tailgater to the home tv when not out RVing.

So, I not only have HD when camping, I saved about $120 a month. That's a win/win in my book!
Dual Pane Windows
Macerator system