Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

HT Fifth Wheel Auto Level Option

Has anybody opted for the 4 point auto level option on the HT fifth wheel line up? Going to order a 19 model 28.5 and guido it up to our specs rather than take one off the lot. For those who have ordered it please give me your thoughts on it. It's a 2100 dollar touch so I'm wanting to be certain before I pull the trigger. Thanks all.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #2

I'd never own a 5th wheel without a leveling system.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

We picked up a 2017 Eagle ht with it as an option this year and it has worked very well for the first year. I would say it is a worthwhile inclusion!

--------------------------------------------
Sshepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

Why are you purchasing an HT instead of a standard 5th wheel? Did you want a lightweight unit? I know that is why I purchased my 28.5.

How much weight does the auto leveling system add? And what other options have you chosen? Does that leave enough carrying capacity for everything you plan to carry? The GVW of a 28.5RSTS is only 9950 lbs.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

We've had our 2018 30.5MBOK with the autolevel system since April and we love it! Works like a charm and so far we're very pleased with it. Push 1 button and walk away from it to do something else and when it finishes, it's spot on level!
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

auto leveling

We have just traded in our 2013 Eagle 28.5RLS for a 2019 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS and the reason for moving up was the auto leveling feature. I take possession of it next spring. Auto leveling has been on motorhomes for years and I saw one in action this summer at a campground. The owner told me it is foolproof if you follow instructions and place blocks under the pads for added stability on rough ground. Jayco's says 3 minutes for 5th wheel and it remembers the height location when you disconnect from your truck. One trip out when it rains will convince you how great it is. $2691 in Canada.

Soon to be: 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS 5th Wheel
2018: 21 days Camping
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Have an Eagle 317RLOK with 4 point leveling system. Save your money, the LCI leveling isn't that great. I've had the dealer reset mine several times because the water in the shower puddles to one end. No mater what they seem to do it still puddles in the same area. When I put a level on the main floor it shows high towards the front, the same for the upper floor and the shower floor. Also found that in some spaces the auto level will take the tires off the ground which causes the FW to become a little unstable. To avoid this condition I've found that I need to level side to side with leveling plates before ever pushing the auto level button.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
Have an Eagle 317RLOK with 4 point leveling system. Save your money, the LCI leveling isn't that great. I've had the dealer reset mine several times because the water in the shower puddles to one end. No mater what they seem to do it still puddles in the same area. When I put a level on the main floor it shows high towards the front, the same for the upper floor and the shower floor. Also found that in some spaces the auto level will take the tires off the ground which causes the FW to become a little unstable. To avoid this condition I've found that I need to level side to side with leveling plates before ever pushing the auto level button.
I would calibrate it yourself to where you want it.

These systems are great and perform well for being electric. Make sure the front can lower below level before auto leveling. This is were ppl seem to mess up the most. Use blocks under the jacks to prevent out of stroke and add stability.

If the trailer is that far off level, yes it will left the tires in the air. Perfectly normal. It can't level that much and not lift the tires. The law of physics does apply. While at parked at my house my left side wheels are a good 4 plus inches off the ground.

We camp in state parks and fields, it always levels perfectly to my calibration point.

Also check your control module is secure and the rear sensor is secure. Manufacturers have been known to mount the rear sensor poorly and cause the system to not leave the same.

We had hydraulic leveling before and were iffy on the electric. But it's been great and problem free.

Well worth every penny it cost on our 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. Not much money when compared to the total cost of the RV.

Earl
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Used mine for the first time this past weekend on our inaugural trip. Stupid simple. glad it was on the 305mlok. A lot of folks dropped by to say congratulations when they saw the temp tag and asked about the auto leveling.
chip52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #10

Easily my second favorite feature. Close second to air conditioning.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Best thing on are 5er!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Easily my second favorite feature. Close second to air conditioning.
Second air is sweet as well. My top options are the on board generator, auto leveling, dual air, dual pane windows and theater seating. Nothing like getting my relax on sitting in my comfy theater seating with the trailer level with the generator running the dual airs.

Earl
Old 09-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Second air is sweet as well. My top options are the on board generator, auto leveling, dual air, dual pane windows and theater seating. Nothing like getting my relax on sitting in my comfy theater seating with the trailer level with the generator running the dual airs.

Earl
Now that's livin.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #14

I miss my on board genny no dual air for me!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #15

Wouldn’t have one without them
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #16

First time for us to have this option and I wouldn't have another trailer without it.
Yes, having it somewhat close to level side to side can make for a better experience but I have only had to run up on blocks twice all summer to keep the tires on the ground. (only need to get it somewhat close)
Learned the hard way the first time as we had the tires 4" off the ground and I wasn't very comfortable with that. We rigged down and drove on a couple 2x8's. Second time I just knew I should before auto leveling. Easy peasy.
The reconnect memory is friggin awesome.
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #17

I have the 291rsts and the leveling system is a must in my mind.
I do find that I need to lower (or raise) the front to around level before pushing auto level, then it won’t raise the tires off the ground. Raising the tires off the ground is very handy though, if you have a flat. That’s another reason for the level system. Mine also operates through the remote control, I take into the truck and when I hitch up I can raise or lower as needed without getting out of the truck. It certainly makes arrival and departure quick and easy.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #18

I have a 317 RLOC and after one trip I'm a fan.
Kennessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #19

I've never had it so I don't miss it.

We level side to side using 2x8x4 boards and some thinner plywood to fine tune. Back in, check side to side, put boards beside wheels, pull ahead, wife slides them in and I back up, maybe 5min. Front to back is with the landing gear and they are as slow as molasses and the longest part of the unhook/level process. If I was buying again and the trailer had leveling then fine but for me I'd spend the money on solar and batteries before leveling as we dry camp a lot. I don't buy RV's new so selecting the option wouldn't be a choice, I like someone else to pay that 1st or 2nd yr depreciation, warranties are mostly useless anyway.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #20

When I bought my new HT that was the first option I looked for. I took possession of my new rig in February and have camped all summer. I love it. Anderson levelers were good on my old rig but this is the real deal. Yes it will get your wheels on the low side off the ground on some sites. I been there several times this summer. If it makes you nervous you can pull up on blocks to get close and it solve the off ground issue. It is no problem at all for the leveler to get the camper off the ground and I can't tell its off the ground once it is setup. I love it and highly recommend it. If you start out with the rig way out of level you might have to manually level to a point then switch to auto level. That has happened once to me with the front really low at disconnect point. The customer service at LCI was great when I had that problem I called and they talked me right thru the procedure to get it level. You won't be sorry. Enjoy I do.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote