Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

HT or AT for tow vehicle?

I am having to do the dreaded tire replacement for my 2018 3500 Silverado DRW truck. It has the original Michelin Primacy's on it, with 42,000 miles. I know the Michelin LTX is the tire of choice for most, but the cost is outrageous, not to mention they're hard to find anywhere in stock. I am trying to find an alternative, and was wondering if most of you have AT or HT tread on your tow vehicle tires? I never go off road, and mostly pull the Eagle on highways. But the heavier tread on the AT has aa certain appeal. But of course, the cost is more. What do you guys say? Is at worth the extra cost?
Old 12-12-2021, 06:59 AM   #2

Heavier tires get worse fuel mileage.
Aggressive tread patterns get worse fuel mileage.
Off road tires are louder.
Off road tires are usually made of a softer rubber compound.

Highway terrain tires are specifically designed to carry weight at higher speed on paved roads. That is what you intend to do with your truck, I would get the HT tread pattern and not look back.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

X2!
My 15 Silverado DRW has 22k on the factory Michelin's and when they wear out, the same Michelin's are going right back on it. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I've tried a lot of tires of various vehicles I've owned in the past. I have an 01 Yukon XL with 155k on it. 20k ago it needed new tires. Guess what went on... Michelin's. This is my DD and I hunt out of it during season. Never been stuck with these tires but I ain't driving it off road thru fields and places it shouldnt be going in the first place. I'll walk or take my trailer with the quad in it. Even in the winter snow, never been stuck. I had a set of Cooper AT's on the Yukon and hated them. Loud and wore out at 35k, not to mention they threw road crap all over it.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #4

I chose the AT tread pattern. My K02s probably do get a little worse mileage that a typical highway tire. However, they are just as quiet as my factory tires were. Most ATs won't be as quiet.

If you ask me, the only question is; Do I need AT tires? Living, camping, towing, and driving in CO, I do. You may not, depending on your driving/towing habits.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I chose the AT tread pattern. My K02s probably do get a little worse mileage that a typical highway tire. However, they are just as quiet as my factory tires were. Most ATs won't be as quiet.

If you ask me, the only question is; Do I need AT tires? Living, camping, towing, and driving in CO, I do. You may not, depending on your driving/towing habits.

Same experience here living in UT. I had 3 really close calls with the factory HTs on my truck while boondocking. 2 we’re in sand, and one was after an unexpected heavy rain. 2 sets of KO2 after have not failed me. I track mileage with fuelly, and lost .15-.2 mpg with the KO2.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #6

HT's for me. Never cared for AT's on an OEM style tire. I found traction was better on HT's vs AT's on the oem style tires. Such as Firestone Transforce.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote