Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #1

Hughes Power Watchdog 50 Amp

I dropped Progressive surge protector after last claim was refused. Watchdog was flawless untill today. In past u plug it in and in a few seconds hear click and face turns white. That single click has turned into a full automatic clicking from 10-30 seconds. House power and generator does the same.
Just sent their customer service a sound video as requested. Hopefully a new one will be sent. Will post when I hear back. Progressive was great until they went under new ownership.
Glad problem came up now and not during my Yellowstone/Glacier trip.

Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

I have the Hughes 30 Power Watchdog and it makes the same sound pop sound. It's a loud pop and I can feel it on the side of the unit. I contacted Hughes and a tech responded within a few hours and explained it's the solenoid popping as it turns on to pass power. He said that's totally normal and even sent pictures of the solenoid. I suggested Hughes should add a line in their manual to explain the pop was a normal sound of operation, he thought it was a good idea and he'd "run it up the flagpole."

The sound mine makes is a single pop followed by a low hum, sounds like yours may be defective. But their tech support was very responsive, hope it works out for you.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

Yup like in my post that is exactly how mine has been until now. Whatever relay is going bad and it’s about to fail. More made in China BS
Old 05-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

For those debating which EMS unit to get Hughes Watchdog customer service is great.
I just sent them the video of the noise yesterday. Just received email that a new one has been sent to me with a return shipping for old unit. Now that is fast and no hassles.