Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Hydraulic Leak

Fixing and inspecting getting ready for our travel season. I found a bunch of fluid had leaked from the Equalizer hydraulic pump but it still works just fine. I cycled it thru a retract all and then auto level and didn't see any obvious leaks. There is a drop on the bottom screw in the first picture where it appears to have run from it and spread out from there. I will call my dealer first thing Monday morning for an appointment. Just curious if anyone has had any issues with the pump. I think Jayco started using Equalizer with the 2020 models so maybe not that many out there.

Fortunately my 2 year warranty doesn't run out until the 30th of next month.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0348 (1).jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0349.jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #2

Yep, Dealer replaced my pump under warranty last summer, leaking at the motor shaft seal. Evidently the motor will fill with oil and eventually fail if leak worsens and let go long enough. They made a huge mess changing it out, wiped up what they could, but oil was dripping out of the front end for a month afterwards.

I'm a bit anxious as our warranty is also running out in late August. Scheduled since Feb for a June 3 drop off for the front L & R side trim pulling down (second attempt for dealer to fix properly) and my kitchen slide exterior trim screw heads breaking off and same slide popping / catching when extending.
37 warranty items and I hope I do NOT find any more.....
Attached Thumbnails
EqSystems Pumpleak.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #3

May be more serious than I thought. I'm not very knowledgeable of hydraulics but I didn't think there should be fluid inside the motor. I didn't get a good angle on the first picture but there was a drop of oil on the bottom screw and there was a big drip on the bottom of the clamp. It appears it is running from that screw back to the clamp and then drips.

We've been lucky I guess. If this turns into a warranty claim it will only be our 4th in 2 years. The first was a bad front a/c from day 1, then a kitchen slide adjustment and finally a dead BMPro tablet. The dealer sent me one so other than the propane regulator recall only 2 trips back for service. Only the slide would I consider Jayco's fault.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

I called Equalizer yesterday and the technician started a warranty claim. As you experienced, if it is leaking from the motor, which means there is a leaking seal, then it will have to be replaced. I asked him if it would be a problem getting a new pump. He said it shouldn't be as they have 3600 of them in stock. I got an appointment with my dealer for the 20th. We have a trip planned for May 10 which should give them time to get it done. The service manager said it should be done well before then. Let's hope. They have been very quick with my 2 other service issues.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:13 AM   #5

Hope your luck is better than ours! I dropped off the 5er and got a call from the dealer, they told me someone put the wrong pump in the box. Added a few days to the whole ordeal. Good news, so far the new pump isn't leaking!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:03 AM   #6

2020 Jay Pinnacle 36RLTS Ours developed a leak from the upper manifold block. The cause is two small O-rings that are usually installed incorrectly at factory (EQ Sytems). The O-rings must be 90A (90 Duro) - Nitrile for replacement. Very inexpensive. Bought a whole kit of (qty 382) O-ring kit off amazon for $26. Need -011 size (actual is 2mm x7.5mm x 11.5mm) The -011 is very close. Nobody around has them!. Jack up 5th wheel or place blocks under frame to take pressure off landing gear. Retract gear to take off high pressure. Crack any hose at manifold with stripe sticker. Two 1/2 inch nuts remove and very carefully lift manifold block (seperate) to remove
O-rings (do not scratch block surface) Clean all hydraulic fluid (I use dextron IV tranny fluid) and I use acetone to thoroughly clean block. PIA, but it is what it is!
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
2020 Jay Pinnacle 36RLTS Ours developed a leak from the upper manifold block. The cause is two small O-rings that are usually installed incorrectly at factory (EQ Sytems). The O-rings must be 90A (90 Duro) - Nitrile for replacement. Very inexpensive. Bought a whole kit of (qty 382) O-ring kit off amazon for $26. Need -011 size (actual is 2mm x7.5mm x 11.5mm) The -011 is very close. Nobody around has them!. Jack up 5th wheel or place blocks under frame to take pressure off landing gear. Retract gear to take off high pressure. Crack any hose at manifold with stripe sticker. Two 1/2 inch nuts remove and very carefully lift manifold block (seperate) to remove
O-rings (do not scratch block surface) Clean all hydraulic fluid (I use dextron IV tranny fluid) and I use acetone to thoroughly clean block. PIA, but it is what it is!
Thanks for the info. When I called Equalizer the tech said I needed to replace the whole assembly because fluid got into the motor, which is what my dealer did. I got it back yesterday. Hopefully they have corrected whatever issues were with the pumps. My understanding is 2020 is the model year Jayco used Equalizer on the Pinnacle but you would think the pumps had been around long enough to detect any issues.