Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Ideas for helping to reduce toxic off gassing of new RV?

We are concerned with the toxic off gassing (formeldahyde, glues, laminate, carpet, etc) just wondering what folks do to help mitigate the off gassing process? In addition to airing it out by opening all the windows and vents, I'm thinking installing a couple fantastic fans would help along with the maxxair vent covers. Ordered 2 air purifiers that are supposed to help. I've also read about closing up the rig, turning up the heat up (to help release the VOCs) then ventilating well, using fans. Any other suggestions? We will be getting a brand new fifth wheel that was just built. We spend 50% of our time in our 5th wheel and have 2 small children, so indoor air quality is important. Thanks.
Obenaufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

I would tell you that you are obsessing over something that is not a big deal. We have had two new FWs and neither one had any problem with what you are describing, both of them Jaycos. And, I have never seen that problem discussed either here on this site or at RV.net.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers - ABC News
Obenaufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Probably whatever you do with a car, which is much worse as the space is more confined.

Personally I am a fan of fresh air.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

I have no problems with our new Jayco as far as any kind of smell/irritants. Years ago we did have one that burned our eyes when walking into it on a warm day. Supposed to be in 80's here tomorrow and camper has been closed up for the week, so I'll see how it is when we get to it.. I would think running the fans and keeping a few windows cracked open would help dissipate unwanted odors etc if you experience any with yours.

UpstateNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

I would think air turnover would be the most important factor in preventing a concentration build up. Keep your fantastic fans running and provide a source of fresh air far enough away to circulate the air. That is going to make it hard to run the AC though.
IIRC the off-gassing tends to abate naturally over time, so you may find it is not necessary to do this forever.
You might also want to invest in an air quality test kit (about $100) that will tell you if your new unit has an issue in the first place. That might end up less expensive than all the measures you are contemplating.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Obenaufc,

Our FW was new right from the factory and we never experienced any smell or toxic off gassing (formeldahyde, glues, laminate, carpet, etc).
The DW is very sensitive to that, so she would have noticed, mentioned something if there was any issue.

Different manufacturers use different processes which have different results with smell and off gassing. I remember years ago the new Sunnybrooks had a very strong formeldahyde smell. But our Jayco had no such smell.

So I double that you'll have any problem with your new Jayco.
But if you do, any or all of the ideas you stated will work.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #8

Industry has all but removed the vast majority of formaldehyde. Particle board almost zero, laminate zero, carpet, finishes etc all almost or zero. Our TT has been closed for about a month here in Az. It's been 115 to 120 the last week, went into it this morning and no problem. Having been in the wood industry I am familiar with the smell and burning eyes formaldehyde can cause. My DW is very sensitive to it and there was zero issues.

This is an old problem and something that has been in forefront for years. We picked our TT up at the factory and lived in it for about 6 months..with no issue at all.

Good Luck and happy camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Your not crazy. Our unit, after baking in the sun, will have quite the odor. I don't think you can do much other than let it bake and air out many times. It eventually dissipates.

I don't worry about it much. If we are using it, the windows are open so the smell gets aired out.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #10

You are not obsessing, as off gassing of chemicals can be very dangerous to a person's health. I have fibromyalgia and am highly sensitive to things like that and after having kidney cancer nearly 5 years ago, I am conscious of things like this now. I can get horrible headaches, lung pain and even break out in hives sometimes. I am sensitive to smells and can always smell things that other people can't. We don't have our 5er yet, but after reading some of the other comments, I'm hoping it's not going to be a problem.
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

As a few have already mentioned, the best thing to do is let it air out and run fan(s) as much as possible. Also, as mentioned, there is a lot less formaldehyde used in building products these days due to the CARB complance regs that came into effect around 2009 and 2011 (don't remember the exact years cuz I've been out of that bus for awhile). Formaldehyde will never be 100% eliminated because just about every solid material emits formaldehyde...even human beings. It's just the amount of formaldehyde that's the problem.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

You better worry about water leaks then anything else....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #13

Open the windows run the roof fans for a few days and the problem will be solved...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

I would disagree with the title of this thread. You may have off gassing of odors but I don't believe their are "Toxic" fumes. They may be irritating to some, but not toxic. Toxic chemicals have all but been removed from consumer products. If toxic chemicals were present, that needed to be off gassed you would expect a sign the size of a poster warning about it. As said, opening windows and airing out your rig will, over time, rid the "new smell".

Happy Camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #15

Cook some bacon in it..
Old 06-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #16

There's not much you can do. Open the windows and turn on the fans until it seems better. But this I can tell you, you're not huffing in toxic fumes. If you were, it would be a bigger deal than the "airbag recall" going on right now. They may be irritating and nasty smelling, but harmful? Not so much. That's like saying the "new car smell" is dangerous when in fact, it's not.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #17

We've had our 5er for a few days and the fumes are killing me. I figured this was going to happen because, as I mentioned earlier, I have fibro and smells are hard on me. I'm trying to clean and organize the RV, but I am getting the shakes, lung pain, a sore throat and headache.

I want to air it out, but it's really humid here right now. If I opened the windows and tried to air it out with fans, would the humidity be bad for the rig? Also, I read someone saying turn up the heat and bake the smell out. LOL Does anyone know if that really works? I feel so blessed to have a new RV, but the smells are driving me out. Thanks.

~Lisa
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post
We've had our 5er for a few days and the fumes are killing me. I figured this was going to happen because, as I mentioned earlier, I have fibro and smells are hard on me. I'm trying to clean and organize the RV, but I am getting the shakes, lung pain, a sore throat and headache.

I want to air it out, but it's really humid here right now. If I opened the windows and tried to air it out with fans, would the humidity be bad for the rig? Also, I read someone saying turn up the heat and bake the smell out. LOL Does anyone know if that really works? I feel so blessed to have a new RV, but the smells are driving me out. Thanks.

~Lisa
First off you need to open that thing up and air it out. I'm not sure where you got the notion that your RV is airtight thus protecting itself from the relative humidity, but it's not, whatever the humidity is outside is the same inside. Turn on your vent fan, turn the heating system on to 85 or so and let it go for a day or two. It's a good opportunity to start testing all of your systems and make sure they work, but the only thing that's going to help with offgassing is time and heat.

And cook some Bacon inside your rig.... Bacon always works... and it tastes good.

I don't like the new RV smells either, but they will be gone in about a week if you open it up, heat it up and get the air circulation going.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #19

This worked for me, I am very sensitive and get headaches from VOCs when most people don't even notice there is an issue. After a week in my driveway with the windows open 24/7 everything was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Your not crazy. Our unit, after baking in the sun, will have quite the odor. I don't think you can do much other than let it bake and air out many times. It eventually dissipates.

I don't worry about it much. If we are using it, the windows are open so the smell gets aired out.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post

~Lisa
Open and leave open the windows if you can.

If the dealer did not run the furnace and stove, you will get a lot of smell for the 1st half hour of run time, it will even setoff the smoke detector if the windows are closed. It takes a few hours to air out that smell.

The smell disappeared fairly quick.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote